Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Where does Vardy rank?

2 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I assume that is while a Leicester player and inflated by Spurs playing there.

How many has he got?

1 vs Man Utd in the Community Shield

2 vs Spurs last season

1 vs Spurs this season

He also scored another 4 for England at Wembley vs Netherlands, Spain, Lithuania & Italy.

If anyone less lazy than myself wants to actually bother researching that stat then please go ahead!

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

I think you always have an affinity with the players you grew up. Players like Parker, Thomson, Wright despite being nowhere near as good as some players we've had since, will always be some of my favourites.

Exactly this. Thompson was one of my favourite players. I loved how composed he could be on the ball. But Vardy ranks as our best ever striker surely? His goal scoring run in the title season broke records which may never happen again.

It’s got to be Lineker for me. Local lad who won the golden boot in ‘86 World Cup. He’s always kept his love and affection for us as well.

I love Vardy, Muzzy, Walsh, Joachim, Kante and Mahrez too...Morgan and Kasper also very high need my list.

i think Maddison and Ricardo are top of the new crop, but we have such great players now it’s hard to pick faves. Maguire, Chilwell, Wilf! 

I think I love em all 

• Like 2

We've had so many greats. But I think judged on what he achieved whilst still at Leicester rather than what he went on to achieve with someone else he is our greatest ever.  As @Babylon said, I think you tend to romanticise those players you grew up with (Walsh, Elliott, Claridge, etc) as I think it's harder to have "heroes" when you're an adult but objectively his achievements stand up against anyone to have ever worn the blue shirt. G'won Jamie. X 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 2

For me, he has to be number 1 - many have been just as talented but his attitude and loyalty and drive puts him up there as the GOAT.

And never thought I'd see anyone surpass Muzzy Izzet or Neil Lennon in my reckoning.

Unpopular view but Kasper should also be in the discussion as one of Leicester's greatest ever.

2 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

hi mate, have you ever seen jamie vardy play football? do you actually think a bit of mud on the pitch would counteract the fact he was being marked by some fat 40 year old bloke who has a fag when the ball is at the other end of the pitch? 

nuts. 

Plenty of times and yes, it would.

You can't translate across eras; we'll never know. What if Chandler didn't have boots and a ball much heavier than the modern ones? What if pitches back then we're smooth, well-maintained, playing surfaces? If training facilities and conditions were of modern standard?

Well they weren't, so we can't compare. Anyone who suggests otherwise is extremely short-sighted.

Am I saying Chandler is better? No, and I want to make this perfectly clear, you can't compare.

In short, they're all legends.

Izzet will always be my favourite, boyhood hero and all that, but Vardy's impact has been incredible and is certainly one of our greats.

Fantastic for the younger generation of fans to have a player to look up to and appreciate for their qualities.

There's no doubt history will treat him as such once he retires.

He'll be to Leicester what Shearer is to Newcastle, Le Tissier is to Southampton, Matthews is to Blackpool or Bremner is to  to Leeds.

Absolutely no question about it in my mind.

• Like 1