Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Where does Vardy rank?

6 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Still see him banded as a one season wonder pace merchant by some rival fans. Can only be jealousy.

Great post from you btw

Who gives a fvck what others think. 

I think kanes a willy puller but spuds don't care while he's scoring. 

No tree or sheep will give Vardy any credit but both would fvcking love him. 

21 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Who gives a fvck what others think. 

I think kanes a willy puller but spuds don't care while he's scoring. 

No tree or sheep will give Vardy any credit but both would fvcking love him. 

Didn't say I gave a fvck

Edited by foxfanazer

Steve Walsh for me still edges Vardy. Dictated the attitude of the team, scored some crucial goals, tough in the tackle and a tough S of a B. He also did it for longer then Vardy. 

I expect Vardy will surpass him soon in my mind too, as he already has in others already. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AS78UK said:

Steve Walsh for me still edges Vardy. Dictated the attitude of the team, scored some crucial goals, tough in the tackle and a tough S of a B. He also did it for longer then Vardy. 

I expect Vardy will surpass him soon in my mind too, as he already has in others already. 

Steve Walsh is not in the same league as Vardy tbh. Don't kid yourself through childhood nostalgia.

Vardy does everything you mention of Walsh but to a far greater degree and at a much higher level.

Walsh may have been at the club longer but he was a really poor player for years until Little took over (and that was just as a Second Division player as he really struggled in his first season in the top flight under Little) and was very much a bit-part player under O'Neill after 98 and he only had 1 really good season in the top flight (and maybe 1 or 2 more pretty good ones). Vardy has had more good seasons for us than Walsh despite being at the club less time and Walsh's peak (96-97, arguably going into 97-98) isn't even in the same ballpark as Vardy's last 4 seasons.

Edited by Sampson
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, davieG said:

I agree with this.

My initial attraction to LCFC, not being born here was the the likes of Davie Gibson, Mike Stringfellow, Ian King followed by the MON greats. I just add the Championship winning team to my list with particular leanings towards Vardy, Mahrez and Kante.

But there have been so many characters I've loved not just for the football skills, Dougan, Parker, Nugent, Fuchs to name but a few.

There's just too many too choose from and for so many different reasons that I'll always stick my 1st favourite and best Davie Gibson.

Over the years,I couldnt and still can't split Davie Gibson or Keith Weller !! Again for different Reasons...

But in these following years,Izzet ,Parker,now Vardy have tagged into my favourites...

Vardy since MOMs period.and yes now always a serious contender,to go into my team/bench of altime greats.His scoring won us the Title,and even now

for next season he could/has the potential to top 20+ goals...His story,his end product,in the history of Leicester,will remain unique...

though for different reasons,so do those of Davie & Keith.. What all 3 do have in common,their performances allowed us fans to dream...

But like the poster @davieG   I can't move from DGibson/KWeller...

16 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

In reality hes our best ever. 

But because alot of us didnt watch in black and white, we'll be reminded some bloke from 1967 was better...

So hard to put City legends in any sort of order but Jamie certainly sits in with the few real all time greats.....Sir Gordon, Shilts, Frankie Wortho, Weller,Gibbo, The Tank(Crossie), to name but a few.and I`m sure other names will come to mind and when I watched them they were all in colour!!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sampson said:

Steve Walsh is not in the same league as Vardy tbh. Don't kid yourself through childhood nostalgia.

Vardy does everything you mention of Walsh but to a far greater degree and at a much higher level.

Walsh may have been at the club longer but he was a really poor player for years until Little took over (and that was just as a Second Division player as he really struggled in his first season in the top flight under Little) and was very much a bit-part player under O'Neill after 98 and he only had 1 really good season in the top flight (and maybe 1 or 2 more pretty good ones). Vardy has had more good seasons for us than Walsh despite being at the club less time and Walsh's peak (96-97, arguably going into 97-98) isn't even in the same ballpark as Vardy's last 4 seasons.

Point taken Rebecca but everyone's allowed an opinion. 

• Haha 1

For me he's been the catalyst to our successes. His second season he stepped it up and was one of the major reasons we got promoted, he was a major part of our great escape with that last minute winner against wba; don't even need to mention his contribution in our title winning season. 

Other players have come and gone - but he's been through it all with us. I think he's still bordering on being in that world class bracket.

Very difficult to compare players from different eras and being a City fan for over 50 years I've seen some truly great players at our club. I named my three boys Mike, David & Mark after Stringfellow, Nish and Wallington. 

Loved many of the Bloomfield team, not to mention the O'Neill teams, and a smattering of some great players under other managers.

But Vardy will always be up there for me. His determination to succeed after almost giving up the game, his loyalty when he could have doubled his wages at Arsenal, his never say die attitude on the pitch, the way every other fan hate him playing against them, but would dearly love him in their team stand him out for me. When you add in his 100+ goals, his assists, and his outstanding team play, he is, and will be remembered as, a truly magnificent Leicester City legend. 

I have to put him up there with the very best I have ever watched at Leicester City.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sampson said:

Depends if people are discussing the best ever player or their favourite, the thread is a bit mixed in terms of what it is we're talking about. (OP was best player)

In terms of ability, Walsh isn't close. But in terms of being iconic for this club he's up there with Vardy. His involvement in play off games, cup runs and wins, epic games and comebacks are for me every bit as memorable as Vardy's.

With a centre back turned striker story, battling back from career ending injuries time and time again to lead us, it's up there with Vardy's story, if not matching the global appeal.

He and Vardy for me are the two biggest icons we've had since I started watching, they have transcended just being bloody good players for us and become almost club defining.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Without shadow he is number one. Mahrez is gifted and probably the most talented ever to grace us, Kante a freak of nature who was the difference when we completed football. Notable mentions for the sheer aura and leadership of Cambiasso and then theres Izzet, Elliott, Walsh, Lennon, Heskey and various others from an era that was probably the most fun and still very successful. 

I cant really comment on anything before 1990 but theres Lineker, Shilton, Weller, Worthington, Banks, Gibson and many more.

I defy any of them to be as bigger club legend as Jamie Vardy though when the chips are counted. This scruffy little chav has had the audacity to pitch up here aged 25 after several years playing for pubs, Sunday league, Saturday regional leagues and then moving up to a better standard of non-league. He's come here and even after some early doubts has gone on to be one of the best strikers in the Premier League, a record breaker and a Premier League winner. 

They'll make a film about him one day, theres not any other Leicester players who have had that happen to them. 

The GOAT

This all over. 

Imagine if he was a jockey, perfect partner for Alberta’s Run. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

Depends if people are discussing the best ever player or their favourite, the thread is a bit mixed in terms of what it is we're talking about. (OP was best player)

In terms of ability, Walsh isn't close. But in terms of being iconic for this club he's up there with Vardy. His involvement in play off games, cup runs and wins, epic games and comebacks are for me every bit as memorable as Vardy's.

With a centre back turned striker story, battling back from career ending injuries time and time again to lead us, it's up there with Vardy's story, if not matching the global appeal.

He and Vardy for me are the two biggest icons we've had since I started watching, they have transcended just being bloody good players for us and become almost club defining.

Agreed, both are legends for what they have done for the club if Vardy sees out his career here then that would be pretty special as you don't see loyalty for clubs as much these days with the amount of money on show.

If I had to pick I'd have to say Vardy is our greatest ever player (if he sees it out here) just for what he has achieved. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

Not even close.

Banks and Shilton were  better goalies for a start.

Not talking about goalies, talking about all our players - I think Kasper deserves to be mentioned in this breath and that he will be in future - hugely underappreciated player.

Edited by Arriba Los Zorros

On 12/03/2019 at 11:31, David Hankey said:

You need to look at the history of Leicester City and the prolific goalscorers they had. Remember they played on ploughed fields not the pristine surafces of today. Arthur Chandler, Arthur Rowley and many more scored a fantastic amount of goals and should always be remembered.

So did the defenders they played against. 

The standard now is a stratosphere away from what it was in the 20's-50's If you actually sit down and watch a game from even the late sixties it is like watching conference football at times. The PL is no longer the best league in England it's the best league in the world and I have to say what Vardy has achieved far out ways what either of those men accomplished in stature even if it does not by total amount of goals.  

Although I would struggle to call him out "best ever player" in football terms he is very limited in certain departments. He is just very good at what he does. Best ever striker is probably a fairer assessment.