Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Where does Vardy rank?

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

you’ve also got to remember they were playing when teams played one defender and he was only in defence cos he was too fat to play up front as well. the fact people claim it might’ve been harder to score in those days is absolutely insane. 

Or, indeed, easier.

I like some others have mentioned remember some of the older stalwarts. Funny how everyone mainly remembers the goal scorers. Some of our "greatest" players, whilst not necessarily the most technically gifted (got to a toss up between Mahrez and Worthignton for me) greatness is a combination of so many things and for me loyalty and being the first name on the teamsheet rank highly. Graham Cross is a perfect example of this. Unflappable, solid midfielder 599 appearances but never got the recognition outside of LCFC fans that he deserved. Steve Walsh another great servant. This is where for me Vardy has to be in the all time best hall of fame. Not only does he give his all, score great goals etc. he has shown loyalty, by turning down Arsenal, to the club who took a gamble on him and allowed him to become the player he is today. He truly wears his heart on his sleeve and seems to take pride in the badge.

Lets hope he has at least another couple of years at the top in him. Roll on the premier 100.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

In reality hes our best ever. 

But because alot of us didnt watch in black and white, we'll be reminded some bloke from 1967 was better...

This generational argument will never be solved. Different times/eras different skills sets etc. how could we know what some of the past players would have been in the modern game with current sports science, dieticians  and modern training methods, not to mention cryogenic recovery chambers, pitches like a billiard table rather than a kick about in a ploughed field or the beach at Skeggy and god knows what else. Once upon a time a cruciate ligament injury was 100% career ending these days its an operation and a new 3 year contract.

Conversely someone like Mahrez would probably have been toast within five minutes against the likes of some of the '70s sides.. Alan Mullery, Chopper Harris, Billy Bremner would all have had him for breakfast.

That said I wholeheartedly agree Vardy is the best player city have had in the modern era

• Like 1

I like many geriatrics, harp on about the "Good old days" probably a bit more than I ought to.

Frankie Wortho, Weller, Glover et al from the 70's were something special & the O'Neill team was also a fantastic era but if truth be told the 2015-2016 side will never be bettered, even if we win it again it will not be a special as the first time.

So in answer to the OP, yes Jamie Vardy is the greatest ever Leicester City player.

Having been around since the late seventies there have been so many good strikers I have witnessed in the flesh Worthington, Smith, Newell, Roberts, Joachim, Heskey, Claridge, Ferdinand, Fryatt, Nugent have all had a part in are history but for me two stand out Lineker & Vardy.

To judge against each other is hard because of the technology in the design of the equipment, boots and match balls are designed to help the modern day footballers also the pitches are so much better in the modern game. Both have been fantastic strikers who will be forever linked to our club.

In my opinion Lineker was the better finisher in and around the box a natural goal poacher who was always in the right place at the right time while Vardy has the better all around game and a bit more technical ability. With all his achievements Vardy does get my vote but only just.

It has been a privilege to see them in action as with other strikers who have been at the club and consider myself very lucky see them during the years I have supported the club.

Of course Vardy's our best ever player. He may not have been taken seriously enough by the national team unlike some of our other legends, but what he's achieved at the club eclipses everyone else who's played for us.  In a decade or so when the greater public have had a chance to look back at the story with 20/20 vision and really understand what he brought to the club this won't even be a debate.

• Like 2

I never thought City would have a greater player than Frankie Worthington.

Believe me, his mastery of the ball eclipsed everybody, Mahrez included. And his f**k-you attitude reflected the times brilliantly.

But Vardy it has to be. His application attitude & loyalty - things Wortho lacked - are very impressive. 

And he won us the league!

• Like 1

I've always loved him, and I'm not one for hero worship. I've said before he's a pure footballer - put him at right back and he'd do a job probably. He's the kind of player I didn't think we'd see again, a cheap buy from the lower leagues who becomes a cult hero. And he won the league as our top goalscorer, so really what more is there to say? 

• Like 1

Supporter since the mid 90s. Love the MON era and the greats of his side but Vardy is absolute box office.

The pace, the goals, the bantz (now that Hamer left), sticking it to the man. Nobody does it better.And he stayed with us.

He's our George Best, Franz Beckenbauer, Lionel Messi, Zinedine Zidane, Johan Cryuff like icon that they were to Utd,Barca, Real, Ajax etc.

Talk to anyone about Leicester worldwide and his name is the first mentioned I would say. Or maybe Kante if they have followed his post-Leicester career.

Vardy Number 1 all day long.

Edited by Blue ROI
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Talk to anyone about Leicester worldwide and his name is the first mentioned I would say. Or maybe Kante if they have followed his post-Leicester career.

Vardy Number 1 all day long.

100/1says he don't get a mention in Algeria lol lol

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Without shadow he is number one. Mahrez is gifted and probably the most talented ever to grace us, Kante a freak of nature who was the difference when we completed football. Notable mentions for the sheer aura and leadership of Cambiasso and then theres Izzet, Elliott, Walsh, Lennon, Heskey and various others from an era that was probably the most fun and still very successful. 

I cant really comment on anything before 1990 but theres Lineker, Shilton, Weller, Worthington, Banks, Gibson and many more.

I defy any of them to be as bigger club legend as Jamie Vardy though when the chips are counted. This scruffy little chav has had the audacity to pitch up here aged 25 after several years playing for pubs, Sunday league, Saturday regional leagues and then moving up to a better standard of non-league. He's come here and even after some early doubts has gone on to be one of the best strikers in the Premier League, a record breaker and a Premier League winner. 

They'll make a film about him one day, theres not any other Leicester players who have had that happen to them. 

The GOAT

Still see him banded as a one season wonder pace merchant by some rival fans. Can only be jealousy.

Great post from you btw

• Like 1

Mahrez, Kante, Vardy are our 3 greatest players. Probably in that order too talent wise. All 3 also have a rags to riches story. I personally love Kante the most simply due to his loveable humble personality and gorgeous smile. 

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

Mahrez, Kante, Vardy are our 3 greatest players. Probably in that order too talent wise. All 3 also have a rags to riches story. I personally love Kante the most simply due to his loveable humble personality and gorgeous smile. 

Club greats/Legends don't throw hissy fits and jump ship like Mahrez did imo. 

9 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Still see him banded as a one season wonder pace merchant by some rival fans. Can only be jealousy.

Great post from you btw

He's bagged 75 goals and counting in the last 4 seasons. I'm not sure anyone can use the one season wonder line anymore 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Or, indeed, easier.

hi mate, have you ever seen jamie vardy play football? do you actually think a bit of mud on the pitch would counteract the fact he was being marked by some fat 40 year old bloke who has a fag when the ball is at the other end of the pitch? 

nuts. 

3 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Greatest player? You can argue all day long about that.

What I will say is he epitomises this club in a way no player has since Walsh. Even though he’s from Sheffield he is well Leicester.

lol he is proper Leicester.

Bit of a pest, underdog story and a bit of a cheeky twat lol

• Like 1

Once you start going through Vardy's goals it puts his importance to us in true focus. Examples include 

QPR Away - Championship winning season  

WBA Away - Great Escape

Liverpool at Home - Premier League win

Seville Away - Champions League

and the 11 in 11 have been priceless.

(also 20 goals last season was an astonishing achievement in view of how the team played and the few chances that came his way)

We've seen him flourish and he's the very epitome of what an LCFC player should give to the shirt.

He's also stayed with us when other opportunities have arisen we'll see the best years of his career which make him even more special.

Overall, for me he has been the greatest player for us and I've been supporting us for 40 years +

• Like 1