Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

2 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Just heard it would take north of 50m to sign Lewis Dunk... if the club feel we need to replace HM and it needs to be with a proven Premier League defender, the deal just becomes relative to the market. 

Yes its shed loads more than he's worth, but the signing will also reflect the same mark up. We could end up with a Maguire downgrade and a very slight profit. Especially as its reported that Hull get a sell on fee.  

Not feeling comfortable about this at all. 

If that is the case i'd be telling Maguire he isn't going. He signed the new 5 year deal last summer and can like it or lump it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rusko187 said:

Speculative, transfer fees are immensely inflated thanks to a number of moves. It really is a sellers market though and unfortunately whilst your valuation of Dunk is low I think we can all agree he's not worth 50m... much in the same ways that Maguire isn't worth above 75m, but it's in no interests for any clubs to lose star assets.

So we want 80m+ for Maguire, we'll have to accept that whoever we go for next will have their value inflated. Is 50m good business? No, but we need to be realistic that other clubs will hold us to ransom, much in the same ways we are with United.

Not if we use our youth system wisely, our new investment buys Benkovic, Soyu, wisely!!

Not forgetting,majority of the transfer talk is nothing but forum or media gossip and Noise. With many posters creating their own scenarios from them,actually believing then it's become fact...!!  We are fickle,we enjoy nothing better than soap style rumours,then have the audacity to criticise the press...

I am a good boy, I don't count myself in the "We" count....it's just you lot!!:P

If it's not coronation Street or EastEnders...let's get logged onto a soapy football forum!!!  If you were  fish you would bite at every morsel of rumour and gossip...:yesyes:..:cool:

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

The trouble is we are being bullied in a way. When the big boys come knocking most players want to go. It’s understandable. In essence we are seeing a model taking shape where we are a low turnover feeder club. Where might we be if Kante and Mahrez had stayed?

next summer one of Chillwell or Maddison are likely to go. It’s drip drip, but every time it weakens us and the pressure to find a similar replacement grows. 

Whilst I understand where you are coming from. We are only doing deals on our terms though. Every player has his price at every club bar a few clubs in the world.

We are learning (no release clauses since Kante), we are letting players go when we want to, within reason (Mahrez didn't get his way straight away) and we are demanding huge money for our players. 

I'd say that's a pretty good situation to be in. As long as we continue to be smart then we will be fine. One player a season is better, than 2 or 3 a season. 

We lost Mahrez last season, and added Maddison, Ricardo and Evans with cash to spare.. 

I’m not sure we should sign Dunk if we sell Maguire, even though selling Maguire IMHO would be a big loss.

We have Evans, Soyuncu, Benkovic (who served a great apprenticeship at Celtic) and Morgan as first team defenders. Amartey can also cover if needs be, and we have younger players like Pascanu (who played well in the Euro U21s).

Signing Dunk or a mid/late 20’s established Premier League defender would be great on paper, but if we do that why did we buy both Soyuncu and Benkovic last summer?

Finally, another thought... should this transfer go through, plus we offload Silva and Slimani, we could weirdly finish up with a better overall squad and at a profit...

Edited by car1os

This situation is going to keep arising with all our top players who will want to leave when the big clubs come calling. I’m not trying to be cynical or anything but it’s the reality. If Maddison keeps on improving a big club will come in for him. Same with Tielemans down the line if he keeps on improving. In fact I’ll predict right now Man U will make a 100 million bid for him in a couple years lol. Like others have said there’s always going to be pressure to find a similar or better standard replacement.

6 minutes ago, car1os said:

I’m not sure we should sign Dunk if we sell Maguire.

We have Evans, Soyuncu, Benkovic (who served a great apprenticeship at Celtic) and Morgan as first team defenders. Amartey can also cover if needs be, and we have younger players like Pascanu (who played well in the Euro U21s).

Signing Dunk or a mid/late 20’s established Premier League defender would be great on paper, but if we do that why did we buy both Soyuncu and Benkovic last summer?

Because we thought they might be good, alas they weren't... or at least one wasn't or isn't fancied by the manager.

They've been seen in training plenty, managers can form judgements from that. So whilst us fans might not have seen enough to form a solid opinion, managers can have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, themightyfin said:

Be careful of what you wish for. If and when Harry goes you will see just how much we miss him and what a good player he is. 

I think only the ones who truly don’t understand football want him gone. But football is a business & when your talking them figures for a club like ours it’s simply to hard to refuse.

Just now, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I think only the ones who truly don’t understand football want him gone. But football is a business & when your talking them figures for a club like ours it’s simply to hard to refuse.

sense spoken ……. sadly, if it was purely down to the club we wouldn't sell unless it was a completely nuts offer like Coutinho. however, once the player decides he wants to go then the slope is too slippery ……. 

40 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

In footballing terms, you're never happy selling your best players but from a business perspective, selling players at the right time for more than they're worth in order to reinvest in the team is what needs to be done and in terms of how we've done with it, we should be happy enough. 

We had no choice but to sell both Kante and Mahrez for less than their true market value IMHO. Just because we made a big profit on both doesn't mean we should be happy with what we got for them. We are in a much stronger position with regards to Maguire, and are rightly trying to take advantage of it.

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

sense spoken ……. sadly, if it was purely down to the club we wouldn't sell unless it was a completely nuts offer like Coutinho. however, once the player decides he wants to go then the slope is too slippery ……. 

Exactly :appl:

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Would you pay 80 Million for Harry to strengthen our defence?

Not a cat in hells, he's nowhere near worth it. That's no offence or sour grapes,  he just isn't unless you've got pots and pots of money to spend without consequence or fair play rules.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Because we thought they might be good, alas they weren't... or at least one wasn't or isn't fancied by the manager.

They've been seen in training plenty, managers can form judgements from that. So whilst us fans might not have seen enough to form a solid opinion, managers can have.

Maybe, or it could be that they're just not considered ready yet?

Monaco had an interest in Soyuncu, I would have thought that if he was unfancied he could have gone there as part of the Tielemans deal?

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

Just heard it would take north of 50m to sign Lewis Dunk... if the club feel we need to replace HM and it needs to be with a proven Premier League defender, the deal just becomes relative to the market. 

Yes its shed loads more than he's worth, but the signing will also reflect the same mark up. We could end up with a Maguire downgrade and a very slight profit. Especially as its reported that Hull get a sell on fee.  

Not feeling comfortable about this at all. 

If that's true then Brighton are just trying to take advantage of the Maguire fee.

If we have any sense at all, we drop our interest and move on.

28 minutes ago, Thecarrickfan said:

Sean is literally more reliable than the Pope at relaying secret information from an undisclosed source. 

Edited by urban.spaceman
* which is to say not very and that they’re both twats.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, All foxed out said:

If 80 mil + is offered and Maguire wants gone them let him. Money like that can’t be sniffed at and nobody wants another repeat of Mahrez when he was told no. Better for all parties to move on

Can see what you are saying but Maguire couldn’t afford to down tools and not play etc with the Euros coming up next summer.

Whether he likes it or not he’ll have to keep playing and performing if he wants to keep his place in the England team. 

11 minutes ago, murphy said:

If that's true then Brighton are just trying to take advantage of the Maguire fee.

If we have any sense at all, we drop our interest and move on.

I know for a fact (I don’t claim to be ITK very often) that Brighton will not sell dunk for a fee they consider to be less than he is worth (to the team that buy him)

so so if we buy him they will rinse us for 40 m+ (they know we have the money from maguire ) whereas West Ham would pay around 30m

However, this information from several weeks ago also said that they were aware of our interest and felt he would be a good fit in our set up - clearly there had been contact between the clubs (perhaps via agents rather than directly ). Brighton have bought dunk’s replacement already 

2 minutes ago, Messi said:

Can see what you are saying but Maguire couldn’t afford to down tools and not play etc with the Euros coming up next summer.

Whether he likes it or not he’ll have to keep playing and performing if he wants to keep his place in the England team. 

Yes, and I honestly don’t think Maguire would pull off anything like Mahrez. He’s abit more clued up about that. BUT an unhappy player is never good, is it? 

On 20/06/2019 at 17:29, teblin said:

Alfie mawson, was highly rated by some on here. Worth a pop as a replacement?

Had been wondering about this.  Around the time we signed Maguire, Mawson looked like a reasonable alternative (strong in defence but can contribute to the attack, leader on the pitch having captained England U23s).  Its amazing how differently their respective careers have played out, with Maguire now an England regular having top 6 clubs offering silly money, and Mawson having been relegated from PL two seasons running with different clubs and dropping off the radar.  If Maguire were to go then I would rather pick up Mawson for 10-12M than Dunk for 40-50M, as I'm sure there is still potential there.

Still thinking why waste £50m+ on Dunk as we have Benkovic & Soyuncu in the wings to partner Evans then maybe promote one of the u23’s to the bench, just doesn’t feel right shelling out £50m+ on Lewis Dunk ?

Edited by justfoxes