Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

21 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I think a lot of you are not seeing the bigger picture here. This isn't about whether you think we're missing out on a good deal because you think Maguire is overrated, or easily replaceable. This is about letting the big clubs know that you're not going to be a pushover. Because believe me, they'll soon be back for Chilwell, or Maddison, or Tielemans, or Barnes, or some other player you DO actually rate and is not so easily replaceable.

Any club is a selling club, whether Maguire goes or not these players will be linked.

Can think of only 1 club that wouldn't be considered a selling club.

41 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

1. We don’t want to sell him. 

2. We don’t need the money. 

3. He’s not pushing for a move.

4. We have huge ambitions that can be realised more easily by keeping him.

5. Manchester United are on the decline and we can finish above them this season.

6. If we keep him for one more year his value will only increase. 

Exactly this -even if some of these are suppositions.

I'd argue we'd be in better position to get into the top 6 with him still in the heart of our defence next season.

39 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Sorry, those in bold are suppositions.

Man Utd may well be on the decline, but they are a monstrously significant club and will be so for a good while yet.

Their BRAND is so large, it almost hides the club's footballing condition.

I dont get this though. (Well I do - but it should be a mute point for any player with ambition). Who cares how well the team has done in the past. Fact is right now their in a mess and there is a strong chance we might be the more likely team to push for Europe next season (especially if they dont find a good defensive alternative and stick with Ole).

We have his replacement. I'm not sure blowing over 85 mil this window without selling is financially wise. Let's not forget Harry hardly had a stellar season. We often looked better without him, at least defensively. And if we want ball carrying defenders then Soyuncu, Benk and possibly Knight fit the bill. Let's play hardball, and possibly even wait for Christmas, but it's not the end of the world if we sell.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Any club is a selling club, whether Maguire goes or not these players will be linked.

Can think of only 1 club that wouldn't be considered a selling club.

I didn't say we would never sell, only that it should be on our terms. We can't let it be as simple as a player saying "I'm off now, seeya", or big club coming along with a lowball offer saying "We'll take this guy, cheers".

25 minutes ago, Always Next Year said:

DO YOU PEOPLE EVER READ ANYTHING BUT THE SHIT THATS PUBLISHED ON FOOTBALL NEWS SITES. MAN UTDs OFFER WAS TURNED DOWN, THEY HAVE NOT MADE ANY OTHER OFFER. NO MEDICAL AS TAKEN PLACE, NO FALL OUT WITH CLUB OR MANAGER. NOT SAID HE WANTS OUT OF THE CLUB.

SO GET ON WITH LIFE AND STOP ALL THE GRAP COMMENTS.

Speak up old chap

This stuff about "sending a message"...

I think holding on to Mahrez for 2 years post-title sent a message, as did keeping Vardy, as did signing signing Tielemans...

If Man Utd are stupid enough to offer us £85m for Maguire, we should take it. Forget "sending a message", every club in the country knows where we stand on transfers already

45 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I think a lot of you are not seeing the bigger picture here. This isn't about whether you think we're missing out on a good deal because you think Maguire is overrated, or easily replaceable. This is about letting the big clubs know that you're not going to be a pushover. Because believe me, they'll soon be back for Chilwell, or Maddison, or Tielemans, or Barnes, or some other player you DO actually rate and is not so easily replaceable.

We will ALWAYS be a selling club, because players will always want to go to top 4 challenging teams. We can dig our heals in all we want, but all we'll see is more pissed off players. More players costing huge amounts only signing 4 year contracts because they know two years of playing well and we'll have to sell to reap the fullest amount in their transfer (hello Tielemans 4 year contract). 

There is a balance to strike between being seen as no pushover and keeping a harmonious squad, who aren't going to feel trapped and stopped from getting moves to giants of the game. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

I think holding on to Mahrez for 2 years post-title sent a message, as did keeping Vardy, as did signing signing Tielemans...

If Man Utd are stupid enough to offer us £85m for Maguire, we should take it. Forget "sending a message", every club in the country knows where we stand on transfers already

And we would take it. We'd probably take £80m, or even £75m. But they haven't bid those figures yet, and until they do the answer is "thanks, but no thanks".

18 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I didn't say we would never sell, only that it should be on our terms. We can't let it be as simple as a player saying "I'm off now, seeya", or big club coming along with a lowball offer saying "We'll take this guy, cheers".

Doesn't tend to work like that anyway, players are still held to contracts but if the player becomes problematic (which could very easily happen in this case) it's better to get rid. I think we're handling business well, thankfully Harry is handling this brilliantly, he could easily down tools and upset the squad similar to Mahrez.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

The club want him to stay but if we are offered £85m we will sell. Top has agreed with Maguire and his agent that he can go if the buying club pays £85m, not a penny less. This info has been posted previously by the very reliable @Albert.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thecarrickfan said:

Then why didn’t they just try for De Ligt in the first place...because he didn’t want to go there with the mess that they’re in! £70m is massive to Ajax, and with the TV money and the ambition we have, we have no want or financial need to sell

Edited by DerbyshireFox

3 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

But probably you're missing the bigger picture as well as we can't possibly know what our owners together with Rodgers are thinking. Forget what they may say on the surface to the media or agents, for all we know they might be gagging to get rid of him for the highest price possible in order to invest in some already chosen targets in what they believe is 'the bigger picture'. I think the whole new strategy is precisely this. To buy reasonably priced young players, nurture, coach and improve them, to sell on certain selected odd ones to overall improve the quality of the squad as a whole.

They are hardly going to admit that whilst negotiating a desparate for a particular player like Manchester United though for obvious reasons, but I would suggest it's the only way forward for a club the stature of ours. There's absolutely no reason not to occasionally sell one of your better players, so long as it's for an appropriate profitable amount that allows our club to better the playing squad as a whole. Selling Couthino turned out to be one of the best things Liverpool could have done for example.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TaggertvsWise said:

I had to look twice at that... 

And now it will stay with you forever.............

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1