Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

4 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

If that's true, whatever the outcome I don't see it as a massive negative. Either he stays and we have Englands best defender on our books or we get a massive payout...

Agreed. I'll be glad if he stays but at this point, I don't think he owes us anything. We've had one good and one decent year out of him and stand to make a huge profit.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Seriously ffs, imagine if we sign Youri and lose nobody, what a statement that would be, it would absolutely show this club means business, I think that's worth a hell of a lot more. If it was real Madrid or barca fine but man utd are in the crap, why are we so keen to let our player join them, cmon, this season coming is our season. 

Would losing Harry and making £75m plus hinder that? 

43 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I'd say it's possible based on his contribution to the team. Benkovic and Soyuncu might not be of the same standard but they are untested on a regular basis. I also think people underestimate how important Maguire is for the way we've started to play. His dribbling/passing ability is rare in a cb and gives us another dimension. Saying all that, the other two could be a revelation and we get 75mil...not an easy decision for the owners. 

2 minutes ago, srex9 said:

I'd say it's possible based on his contribution to the team. Benkovic and Soyuncu might not be of the same standard but they are untested on a regular basis. I also think people underestimate how important Maguire is for the way we've started to play. His dribbling/passing ability is rare in a cb and gives us another dimension. Saying all that, the other two could be a revelation and we get 75mil...not an easy decision for the owners. 

Maybe the dourness of last season has made me more critical of individuals at the club but I felt that Maguire seemed to be at the thick of a lot of the defensive mistakes we made last season. His positional awareness was at times laughable and he turns as if he's shifting a wardrobe. I wouldn't be against keeping him but for the sums being banded around we'd be getting much more than he's really worth

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Of course it would. Losing our best defender will weaken us by definition. Keep our best players and a couple of quality additions will have us challenging for top 4/6 like all proper Leicester supporters should want.

Edited by Blue Fox 72
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Of course it would. Losing our best defender will weaken us by definition. Keep our best players and a couple of quality additions will have us challenging for top 4/6 like all proper Leicester supporters should want.

'proper Leicester supporters' lol this forum sometimes! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Maybe the dourness of last season has made me more critical of individuals at the club but I felt that Maguire seemed to be at the thick of a lot of the defensive mistakes we made last season. His positional awareness was at times laughable and he turns as if he's shifting a wardrobe. I wouldn't be against keeping him but for the sums being banded around we'd be getting much more than he's really worth

No I'd agree with you there. I think he has a mistake in him but I'd say most cb's do. It's a high pressure position these days but I'd normally be confident in Harry when he has the ball. A lot seems to run through him.

Positional stuff can be worked on, but could a lot of that be down to him constantly changing partners? Im probably being too kind.

I think every sum is crazy these days but I suppose that's the market now! 

We'd also be selling to a potential rival next season if we're looking to kick on. Would much rather he went to Man City as much as it pains me to say. 

Just now, srex9 said:

No I'd agree with you there. I think he has a mistake in him but I'd say most cb's do. It's a high pressure position these days but I'd normally be confident in Harry when he has the ball. A lot seems to run through him.

Positional stuff can be worked on, but could a lot of that be down to him constantly changing partners? Im probably being too kind.

I think every sum is crazy these days but I suppose that's the market now! 

We'd also be selling to a potential rival next season if we're looking to kick on. Would much rather he went to Man City as much as it pains me to say. 

It could be. Although the likes of Van Dijk seems to make his centre back partner look world class. Gomez looked brilliant at the start of the season and then Lovren and Matip suddenly looked solid alongside him. 

His distribution is fantastic and is quite frankly better than most midfielders in the league at times but first and foremost what I want from my centre backs is to be rock solid and hate conceding goals. 

As I say I won't be gutted if we don't sell but I do feel a club of our size wouldn't be able to turn our noses up at £75m+. I know we ain't skint but that's a hell of a lot of money for a replaceable asset

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, srex9 said:

I saw Soyuncu play 1 game and it was enough for me to know that he's much better with the ball then Maguire. He was excellent at Huddersfield Town. 

Now is the time to cash in on Harry. It's all on Brendan now.

IF we are to sell Harry & the club bring in a replacement I just hope we don’t spunk a load of it up the wall on an average signing. Spend around £25/£30m on someone like Lascelles or Jonathan Tah then class, spend £30/£40m on Tarkowski/Dunk then its poor business imo.

The training ground isn’t affected by FFP boundaries so I’m not sure that comes into selling players in any real fashion as our owners have the capital to front that without problem, the loan is just the most efficient way of offsetting the expenditure.

• Like 2

no one picking up on Harry hinting that he doesn't want to leave? 

Saying he is grateful for us showing faith in him and signing him from relegated Hull. I don't think he is going anywhere this window, and I am happy with that.

4 hours ago, Guybino said:

no one picking up on Harry hinting that he doesn't want to leave? 

Saying he is grateful for us showing faith in him and signing him from relegated Hull. I don't think he is going anywhere this window, and I am happy with that.

Players with good agents (and a modicum of intellect) are adept at saying the right things nowadays.......unfortunately it generally means little unless you piece together the whole jigsaw.

if Harry has been told that it’s extremely unlikely that anyone will meet our asking price (which would have happened a while ago) then he would be expected to make the right noises .....(eg - urging madders to hang around. At the time he made that comment there were no real links for him, yet within a week, the press were full of yanited’s interest).  It’s worth noting that much of the ‘hot info’ you hear or read in the msm is out of date and when trying to join up the dots with other stuff (perhaps from Percy or ITK’s on here) it isn’t easy!

8 hours ago, SO1 said:

I saw Soyuncu play 1 game and it was enough for me to know that he's much better with the ball then Maguire. He was excellent at Huddersfield Town. 

Now is the time to cash in on Harry. It's all on Brendan now.

He did look good. But that was only 1 game against essentially a championship team. That run made in the 1st half was quality though.

3 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I don’t think we are selling it are we? I’ve heard the women are going to train there once we move out. 

That wouldn't make sense. What's the point in spending £100m on a training ground if it doesn't have the capacity for all of your teams. Not to mention Belvoir Drive would be worth millions to a developer. 

• Like 1

Our position in the market is very strong. We don´t need to sell at all and the player doesn´t even seem like he wants to force a move away. Both Manchester clubs absolutely must sign a centre back - a ball playing centre back with experience. Maguire has shone both Internationally and in the PL, therefore is one of very, very few that fits the bill here - not least the fact that both clubs will need their new CB to hit the ground running, which Maguire is more likely to do than a CB from another team in Europe. I would have thought Maguire would be more likely to want to go to City given their manager and recent success, however both Manchester clubs have immense wealth behind them and it means we can take them to the cleaners. Getting 80 million for Maguire will be the best piece of business we´ve ever done imo. 

1 minute ago, Danizen said:

That wouldn't make sense. What's the point in spending £100m on a training ground if it doesn't have the capacity for all of your teams. Not to mention Belvoir Drive would be worth millions to a developer. 

I agree but it seems like the women aren’t fully in the fold. I know someone who’s daughter plays for them, and that’s what she was told recently. I’ve got vague memories of reading years ago that the land can’t be built upon, some covenant that it needs to be retained as a green space or sports facilities or something. Of course I could be completely wrong lol