Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

Now the internationals are over expect the stories to be cranked up another notch particularly after playing so well yesterday. It could be a case of some clubs pursuing De Ligt as no.1 target and as soon as he decides his destination those that missed out will then turn their attention to Harry. If It is Man Utd that come calling do you think they'd offer player(s) plus cash such as Jones or Smalling, a) Would we want them b) Would they come here c) Could we afford their wages?

1 hour ago, fazzyfox said:

Now the internationals are over expect the stories to be cranked up another notch particularly after playing so well yesterday. It could be a case of some clubs pursuing De Ligt as no.1 target and as soon as he decides his destination those that missed out will then turn their attention to Harry. If It is Man Utd that come calling do you think they'd offer player(s) plus cash such as Jones or Smalling, a) Would we want them b) Would they come here c) Could we afford their wages?

Or C) we already have better players then them anyway 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, KingsX said:

More and more Harry looks like England’s best CB to me.  He offers a mix of aerial dominance, ball carrying and long passing that (statistically speaking) is unique among CBs  in Europe.  The Blue Moonies seem to think those are the things Pep is looking for.  His analysts will know, nobody else is so good at all three. 

Supporters have seen Harry’s mistakes, and many judge him by them.  At CB, it’s hard to argue that “mistake proof” is not the top criterion.  But at 26, Harry has time to refine his positioning and reading of attacks.  And Pep is renowned for coaching and tweaking to improve players -- like John Stones.

This transfer could be a win-win.  But not if we just “get rid” at any price, with Hull City due a sizable cut.  Man City are as rich as Barca, and need a home-grown player.  HM appears their best fit.  I’d be happy to keep him unless they are ready to offer 75M.  I don’t think he will be worth less next January or June.

If the player we saw playing for England is the new improved John Stones, how bad was he before?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Simplistic view (without over analysis) Looks a dream most the time, has the odd blunder which then makes you think he’s clumsy... getting caught out of position is the weakness you see more often than not. 

I like him, hope he stays, but not the end of the world. 

It sounds like he’s keen if Man City make a move, not do much if Utd do...

Edited by lcfceaves

7 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

The answer to a: is surely an emphatic and screaming nooooooo!  B and C therefore obsolete.

I wouldn't have any of the two of them at Celtic let alone at a higher level in the EPL.  How they've stolen a living at Man Utd this long is beyond me.  Probably emblematic of where Man Utd find themselves as a club tbh post-Fergie.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Buce said:

If the player we saw playing for England is the new improved John Stones, how bad was he before?

Stones doesn't look any better to me now than he was when he was breaking through at Everton, still has howler after howler in him.  Also get the impression Pep doesn't fully trust him given his lack of game time this season behind Kompany and Otamendi who are both ageing centre backs.

3 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

The answer to a: is surely an emphatic and screaming nooooooo!  B and C therefore obsolete.

Agree. We have enough dead wood as it is. adding to the pile makes no sense whatsoever.   Cash or they go rubber duck themselves.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I wouldn't have any of the two of them at Celtic let alone at a higher level in the EPL.  How they've stolen a living at Man Utd this long is beyond me.  Probably emblematic of where Man Utd find themselves as a club tbh post-Fergie.

Agree - I just think United's combination of needing a hell of a lot of improvement fast (without having all of the funds required to do what they need to do) plus a surplus of players that aren't a part of their plans will lead them to make the offer of cash plus player(s). But I hope we say no to all of it, keep Harry or worse case demand a record fee for a defender. Jones won't be fit for week in week out appearances and I think we'd rather have the full fee than any of the other options. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fazzyfox said:

Agree - I just think United's combination of needing a hell of a lot of improvement fast (without having all of the funds required to do what they need to do) plus a surplus of players that aren't a part of their plans will lead them to make the offer of cash plus player(s). But I hope we say no to all of it, keep Harry or worse case demand a record fee for a defender. Jones won't be fit for week in week out appearances and I think we'd rather have the full fee than any of the other options. 

Even if Jones was fit he is utterly useless, he's like a stolen vehicle the way he careers around trying to masquerade as a defender.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, lcfc sheff said:

Sky sports reporting Man Utd and Man City gonna compete for Maguire, nothing we didn’t know but certainly looks likely he could go.

If he is going I hope it is sooner rather than later. Just take their pants down on the price and let’s get on with signing who  we need to get in (and not Virgin Van frigging Dunk).

4 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Sky sports reporting Man Utd and Man City gonna compete for Maguire, nothing we didn’t know but certainly looks likely he could go.

On the contrary - Dorset makes the most important point that Harry will not agitate for a move - hence if neither manc club meets the asking price then Harry stays !

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

If that's true, whatever the outcome I don't see it as a massive negative. Either he stays and we have Englands best defender on our books or we get a massive payout...

Agreed, if anything its a win-win situation. Well done City if true!

• Like 2

Great position to be in. Two cash rich clubs (one of which could be staring down the barrel of FFP restrictions so needs to move now) vying for our player. Look at how much Arsenal got for Sanchez last season when both Manc clubs wanted him. 

Honestly I'd just have a straight auction with the reserve at £75 million and see what happens. The downside is that it could bugger our purchases of other players if they know we have a lot. 

If we've got both clubs bidding at that kind of money we should sell imo. The only way you become a better club long term is by making profit on players and improving the squad in the process. That kind of money in 2 years from £17m (?) is too good to turn down.

Edited by ajthefox

For once, I actually think CB is currently our strongest area in the squad. Evans has established himself as number one and Benkovic should be coming back with a view to getting into the starting XI.

Wes Morgan has proved he still has the capability to do a shift for us when needed.  And Soyuncu has plenty of potential to be a good ball playing defender too.

Maguire is no doubt a big player still but if it's anything close to the figures people are quoting, I would sell him. Media seem to forget he's actually had a pretty poor season for us.

Always figured that if Harry went it would for around the £50m mark, but it almost sounds like it could be around £75m now. 

Love you Harry, but come the **** on. Great for us (If He is going to leave), but Christ on a bike, transfer fees are just ridiculous.

:scarf::blink::cool::mad:

1 minute ago, ronnup said:

Has either club got a centre back wed take in return? Smalling isn't that bad really for example. 60 million plus Smalling would mean we had cover at lots of money. 

For even asking, you have to take Mangala and Phil Jones our for tea :mad: