Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nicolo Barella

Leicester without Mahrez

6 minutes ago, FIF said:

not dislike. He's a good player. He's a far better player than Gray at the moment and possibly forever. Gray at 22 is better than Mahrez at 22 but that doesn't mean he'll even be a good prem player, it does mean he has the potential to be good for us for 10 years and if not we sell him. He certainly isn't the distraction that Mahrez was for the last 2 seasons and therefore as far as better for the team the jury's out but you seem to happily brush under the carpet have negatively Mahrez affected the team for the last 2 seasons. He isn't the Mahrez who had the wonder season in 15/16 - he's evolved from that and it cost us European football last season. We've moved on. We have maddison and hopefully Tielemans. You need to let go far more than I do.

I'm amazed that so many people accept the way he treated the club, the way he abused the fans for 2 seasons and still think he's the naive footballer who tried his heart out progressing each year through to the league title. If anyone is deluded I'd suggest it wasn't me. 

Still enough Mahrez talk - I need to waste my few daily posts elsewhere. 

You have reached the maximum number of posts you can make per day.:D

49 minutes ago, murphy said:

But what price self respect?

You would just sweep his airport tantrums and his strike under the carpet because he was good?

Not for me.  I don't care who he is or who he thinks he is, as soon as the toys came out of the pram I wanted him gone and I don't want him back.

Correct. 

There would be be nothing but disharmony in the squad as soon as he got back here, just as there was in the time between the title win and his leaving.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Correct. 

There would be be nothing but disharmony in the squad as soon as he got back here, just as there was in the time between the title win and his leaving.

How would it create disharmony? We have a new manager and a lot of new players in the team. I'm sure all the players would welcome back someone who could push the team into the top 6.

Brendan has made it clear that he wants a winger who can cut in and create chances/score goals and mahrez is exactly that.

9 minutes ago, Foxboy said:

How would it create disharmony? We have a new manager and a lot of new players in the team. I'm sure all the players would welcome back someone who could push the team into the top 6.

Brendan has made it clear that he wants a winger who can cut in and create chances/score goals and mahrez is exactly that.

It doesn't matter that we have new players or manager because it was Mahrez and his attitude that was the problem.  He created the disharmony.  Changing Manager didn't change him before did it?  Do you really want that circus back?

Also, people are forgetting that we got Maddison, Ricardo and Evans for less than his transfer fee and there is no way that we could afford TIelemans and Mahrez.  I know who I'd rather have.  We are much better off without him.  

Edited by murphy
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

The goals, assists and wonderful skills far outweigh that.

For some people. For me it's the bog standard default characteristic a player should have. Liverpool and Man City wouldn't be up there if Pep and Klopp were drooling over their decent first touches and allowed the players to wander around doing nothing.

Quality will get you by, hard work is what will push you above your ability.

I would have hated to have Berbatov for the same reasons. Its like playing with 10 men a lot of the time.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, filbertway said:

For some people. For me it's the bog standard default characteristic a player should have. Liverpool and Man City wouldn't be up there if Pep and Klopp were drooling over their decent first touches and allowed the players to wander around doing nothing.

Quality will get you by, hard work is what will push you above your ability.

I would have hated to have Berbatov for the same reasons. Its like playing with 10 men a lot of the time.

Complete opposite, we've had the Paul Ramseys who give 100% by the bucket load. I'd much prefer to watch someone like Mahrez and hard work alone won't make a premier player you need skills and attitude. Even his last season he still scored more goals and assists than any other midfielder/winger we gave had in years.

• Like 4

I'd say I wouldn't want him back after how it ended, but...

Tielemans

Ndidi

Mahrez

Maddison

Barnes

Vardy

That's a top 6 midfield/attack. Shows how close we are to being a genuinely good side- if we'd bought a proper right winger like it was obvious we needed in the summer, we'd probably have 7th in the bag already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Foxboy said:

Please see Murphy’s response, he’s saved me the job.

54 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Complete opposite, we've had the Paul Ramseys who give 100% by the bucket load. I'd much prefer to watch someone like Mahrez and hard work alone won't make a premier player you need skills and attitude. Even his last season he still scored more goals and assists than any other midfielder/winger we gave had in years.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love a skillful player. I just don't like the ones that don't want to push themselves. It feels like a massive waste of their ability to me.

Ok. - so you find out your ex (sexy as she was) - who, though you shared some great times together, couldn't wait to dump you when someone richer and smarter came along - is pretty miserable with her new bloke.

Do you take her back?

Or do you hang up on her and laugh?

• Like 2

IF he came back here would he be the same player? Or would he be a broken player without any confidence or desire to play as well as he did to get the move?

Personaly it upset me when and how he left and it may take along time to forget what he did to get the move away but wouldn't wanna see him any where else in the premiership. 

4 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Ok. - so you find out your ex (sexy as she was) - who, though you shared some great times together, couldn't wait to dump you when someone richer and smarter came along - is pretty miserable with her new bloke.

Do you take her back?

Personally depends if she came back for the money or the D Haha 

35 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Aren’t you bothered that he kept on fookin us about toward the latter days?

Does this not matter?

No I just want us to have great players and Riyad was that player who could win us a game out of nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, murphy said:

It doesn't matter that we have new players or manager because it was Mahrez and his attitude that was the problem.  He created the disharmony.  Changing Manager didn't change him before did it?  Do you really want that circus back?

Also, people are forgetting that we got Maddison, Ricardo and Evans for less than his transfer fee and there is no way that we could afford TIelemans and Mahrez.  I know who I'd rather have.  We are much better off without him.  

We aren't better off without him though are we. He won us the league.

If he was to return it would be because he's decided he does actually want to play for us. Therefore how would he create disharmony?

Brendans already stated that the key area he wants to improve is a wide player that can cut in.

22 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Do you take her back?

It’s a helpful analogy until you take it further and factor in that your new woman is the equivalent of Gray and Ghezzal ?

21 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Do you take her back?

I think the difference here is that I've not been having sexually penetrative intercourse with Riyad Mahrez.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Do you take her back?

How are you treating football business like a relationship lol:appl:

We haven’t managed to replace his goals and creativity with a single player, obviously. 

Maddison and since January Barnes have helped plug the gap but it’s not a direct replacement (nor was it likely to be).

But overall I do think it was absolutely the right decision to sell, and contrary to many on here at the time I thought we got a good price. 

He was a great player but had a tendency to go missing when he couldn’t be arsed, plus he was very one-footed so better defenders usually worked him out. 

Edited by leicesterseddon
  • Like 1

There's no chance he'll play for us again but I'd have him back. We could really do with a good winger who can score and create goals and he's one. Him, Barnes and Maddison behind Vardy, with Chilwell and Ricardo bombing on, would be lovely (if a bit/very shaky defensively). Not happening though. 

Ultimately his sale allowed us to bring in a few good players and got him back into the Champions League, with potentially another league title on the way in addition to the league cup, even if he's not played as much as he'd like. I wouldn't bet against him making a bigger impact next season as Pep seems to have one or two reservations about Sané at present and I'd expect Bernardo Silva to move central on a more permanent basis as they begin to ease David Silva out. Equally, he might not play at all and end up rotting in their development squad. Who knows?

After fodens display the other night I think mahrez  will be even further down the pecking order. Obviously pep didn't splash out 60m for him without knowing how good he is but if he won't put in a shift he will not get in the starting 11. 

Personally I think all this smacks of the prodigal son and we should leave well alone. He made his bed and all that. Let it be a lesson to some of our current crop of youngsters that the grass is not always greener.

• Like 1