Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Our bench

Looking at our bench last night:

Ward,

Okazaki,

Mendy,

Iheanacho,

Fuchs,

Evans,

Albrighton.

It really shows our squad is not strong enough. Not one player on there, maybe apart from Albrighton, can change a game. Makes me think do we even want to be in Europe when our squad, especially in attacking areas, is nowhere near good enough.

That bench does look pretty dirt apart from Evans and Marc. We all know the cash needs to come out in the summer but we could blow our whole budget and more on Youri. Could be a difficult 2019/2020 

Edited by SecretPro
  • Like 1

Matt Piper made quite a strong point about this in post-match commentary. I'd say about two, maybe three at absolute most, players on that bench are of Premier League quality. And I think Brendan knows this.

When you're chasing a game like last night's and need a player who can mix things up and make stuff happen, he must have let out a sigh and saw what was sitting on the bench behind him.

1) Ward is a decent enough back-up goalkeeper. No complaints here, although can't see him challenging Schmeichel for the No.1 Jersey any time soon.

2) Evans has a couple more seasons at the top level, but eventually will be playing as regularly as Morgan is now. Not very often. But in his defence, he has improved as the season has gone on and would have next to no reservations if he's in the Starting XI for the next game.

3) Fuchs is apparently clearing off in the summer anyway, and isn't getting past Ben Chilwell any time soon. Thanks for the memories and take care Christian. :wave:

4) Mendy is slowly redeeming himself. A good player if you want to shore things and see games out. Not when you're chasing a game I'm afraid. Utility player in my honest opinion.

5) Albrighton's reaction from the crowd summed it up. Mr Reliable and he shows it most games, and the fans recognise that with the rapturous reception he got when he came on. Keep, keep, keep, for another couple of seasons, as his endless crosses can make that difference.

6) Okazaki... *sigh* Think we all know his time is up. Will be remembered very fondly for his exploits en-route to winning the title but he just doesn't have it now. Runs about a bit and falls over in equal measure,  not someone that suits us moving forward. Take care and thank you, Shinji. :wave:

7) Iheanacho, well his record speaks for itself. He is almost another Demarai Gray, just with a little less effort. Does not suit our team dynamic and I'd say his card is marked. He needs to make a difference and quickly, although the crowd could try and not essentially boo him when he comes on.

Just typing that reinforced my own opinion that our strength in depth outside our starting XI is quite poor. If we have any realistic expectations of pushing for European football NEXT season, then this will need to be addressed. And that potentially means a sizable proportion of that bench and several others being sent packing.

• Like 1

We have nothing off the bench that’s creative in the central midfield area. The same applies up front. You could also argue the same in wide positions. We don’t have a plan b if we’re behind in games. I still believe that we should play 3 at the back with wing backs. Last night Benitez got it tactically spot on. 

the summer we need a massive influx of cash going in for squad depth.

fuchs going 

simpson going 

okazaki going 

king going probably

slimani going probably 

james crocked

nacho needs a loan away

so in my honest opinion we need a new LB RB a couple of CM’s plus youri and a couple of ST’s at least.

1 hour ago, Bezzanator89 said:

Matt Piper made quite a strong point about this in post-match commentary. I'd say about two, maybe three at absolute most, players on that bench are of Premier League quality. And I think Brendan knows this.

When you're chasing a game like last night's and need a player who can mix things up and make stuff happen, he must have let out a sigh and saw what was sitting on the bench behind him.

1) Ward is a decent enough back-up goalkeeper. No complaints here, although can't see him challenging Schmeichel for the No.1 Jersey any time soon.

2) Evans has a couple more seasons at the top level, but eventually will be playing as regularly as Morgan is now. Not very often. But in his defence, he has improved as the season has gone on and would have next to no reservations if he's in the Starting XI for the next game.

3) Fuchs is apparently clearing off in the summer anyway, and isn't getting past Ben Chilwell any time soon. Thanks for the memories and take care Christian. :wave:

4) Mendy is slowly redeeming himself. A good player if you want to shore things and see games out. Not when you're chasing a game I'm afraid. Utility player in my honest opinion.

5) Albrighton's reaction from the crowd summed it up. Mr Reliable and he shows it most games, and the fans recognise that with the rapturous reception he got when he came on. Keep, keep, keep, for another couple of seasons, as his endless crosses can make that difference.

6) Okazaki... *sigh* Think we all know his time is up. Will be remembered very fondly for his exploits en-route to winning the title but he just doesn't have it now. Runs about a bit and falls over in equal measure,  not someone that suits us moving forward. Take care and thank you, Shinji. :wave:

7) Iheanacho, well his record speaks for itself. He is almost another Demarai Gray, just with a little less effort. Does not suit our team dynamic and I'd say his card is marked. He needs to make a difference and quickly, although the crowd could try and not essentially boo him when he comes on.

Just typing that reinforced my own opinion that our strength in depth outside our starting XI is quite poor. If we have any realistic expectations of pushing for European football NEXT season, then this will need to be addressed. And that potentially means a sizable proportion of that bench and several others being sent packing.

Rodgers wants Fuchs to stay next season,  he said it at the q&a

2 hours ago, dobbylcfc said:

fuchs going 

simpson going 

okazaki going 

king going probably

slimani going probably 

james crocked

nacho needs a loan away

so in my honest opinion we need a new LB RB a couple of CM’s plus youri and a couple of ST’s at least.

James getting a new contract 

The defence and midfield players we have are capable as cover or when we need to shore things up. What's obviously missing are attacking players including a credible forward... when Vardy was injured/dropped we were woeful

Edited by kingston_fox
Woeful spelling... Like Nacho

3 hours ago, dobbylcfc said:

fuchs going 

simpson going 

okazaki going 

king going probably

slimani going probably 

james crocked

nacho needs a loan away

Where's this money coming from?

Who's gonna pay for that?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bezzanator89 said:

True as that may be, Fuchs seem intent on leaving at the end of this season. Even rejected an Aston Villa loan deal so he could see out his contract here.

I thought the club rejected it?

You can't expect quality to sit on the bench though. 

I hear Piper say after the game "if Brendan turned around and Rondon was sat there he'd/we'd have another option" ... but he wouldn't be sat there. Why would we approach any player with a bit of quality and say "you'll be on the bench most games, sign here".

I'd expect most clubs around us to be in this situation. 

I don't get why Ghezzel wasn't on the bench. Yeah he's not been great for us but he offers something a bit more than Okazaki now.

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

You can't expect quality to sit on the bench though. 

I hear Piper say after the game "if Brendan turned around and Rondon was sat there he'd/we'd have another option" ... but he wouldn't be sat there. Why would we approach any player with a bit of quality and say "you'll be on the bench most games, sign here".

I'd expect most clubs around us to be in this situation. 

I don't get why Ghezzel wasn't on the bench. Yeah he's not been great for us but he offers something a bit more than Okazaki now.

I hear what your saying, and agree, but this is where the culture needs to change at the club.

All players have dips in form here, but seem to play no matter what, we should be bringing players good enough to at least push for the shirt.

Vardy has had some poor runs this season, wether form, fitness or fall outs with puel, but who’s his competition, and there are others as well, and I’m not even going down the kasper line.

My point is without competition for places breeds complacency.

5 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

I hear what your saying, and agree, but this is where the culture needs to change at the club.

All players have dips in form here, but seem to play no matter what, we should be bringing players good enough to at least push for the shirt.

Vardy has had some poor runs this season, wether form, fitness or fall outs with puel, but who’s his competition, and there are others as well, and I’m not even going down the kasper line.

My point is without competition for places breeds complacency.

I do agree with that. I was excited when we signed Kelechi but we never play two forwards. So it's Vardy every week regardless. Plus large parts of the fanbase don't seem to give other options a chance, I have seen plenty of good chances Vardy has missed but the criticism of him compared of Kelechi, for example, is telling. 

• Like 1

We don't need ready made players because as said their not going to come to stick on the bench. But we can look to get either experienced players offering something a little different knowing their not first choice (e.g. target man like Carroll, not saying I'd want him but he'd know his role)

But the best thing to do i think is look for hungry younger players looking to break through but not necessarily going to start games.

We do lack so much depth and quality to bring on though. I can't think of the last time a sub we brought on changed the game...

• Like 1

I prefer it when Gray starts on the bench as you have that option that can change a game waiting to come on. You need dynamo players when you are 1-0 down to a defensive team... bringing on players like Mendy and Okazaki just won’t change the game enough. 

The question is though, do you buy better quality back up/bench players, or better starting 11 players? Who are you gonna push out of the 11, which we can all mostly pick. Gray drops out for me, but most of the others would be difficult to replace. Yes, Barnes could drop out, but his remaining in the 11 will allow him to emerge like Chilwell ( potentially). The only player consistently given opportunities and failed is Gray. It’s not gonna be easy.