Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Papy Mendy

I like him, he's a good player and he's had a good season but I'd prefer to develop Hamza. There's no point in our academy developing Premier League talent if we let them rot in the squad not even warming the bench. I'd prefer to put the money towards another player in another position.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I like him, he's a good player and he's had a good season but I'd prefer to develop Hamza. There's no point in our academy developing Premier League talent if we let them rot in the squad not even warming the bench. I'd prefer to put the money towards another player in another position.

He's also 27 this summer and will only ever be a squad player here rather than a regular.

I'm all for selling players in their peak years who aren't good enough to be in the starting XI.

However people who think we might get an offer similar to what we paid are saying in hope rather than expectation. An offer of around the £10m mark is a no brainer to sell as far as I'm concerned. 

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

He's also 27 this summer and will only ever be a squad player here rather than a regular.

I'm all for selling players in their peak years who aren't good enough to be in the starting XI.

However people who think we might get an offer similar to what we paid are saying in hope rather than expectation. An offer of around the £10m mark is a no brainer to sell as far as I'm concerned. 

I think we could get 15 mil. He is a proven Premier League player. Didn't we get about the same for Schlupp?

• Like 1

Jumping the gun here, but a midfield of Wilf and Hamza, then Madders, YT and Camarasa, I’d move him on. Ok player but not great. Especially with a year left on his contract.

Edited by Lovejoy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

Interesting that as FT runs out of patience with Gray, some call Mendy “underrated”.  Because Mendy is a player with almost no end product.

In 2000+ minutes: no goals, assists or big chances created; one or two each of completed crosses and through balls.  He’s an inferior DM in terms of tackles and interceptions.  His good statistic is an 89% completion percentage, which wows safety-first fans who can’t stand to see another Ndidi giveaway.  But in terms of passing into attack, even Wilf is more productive.  Mendy’s only strong point is as a safe ball recycler.

Decent to have on the bench as cover and to help see out a win.  But if Galatasaray are serious, I would rather give Hamza his chance.

That's because it's not his role to have end product. He's not an advanced midfielder or a winger.

The majority of Gray's job is to create and score goals (ie end product required). He's much more a player that keeps it ticking over and has a very good knack at keeping the ball. Is very strong for his stature.

You are right though, Ndidi is more adventurous in his passing.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Beechey said:

That's because it's not his role to have end product. He's not an advanced midfielder or a winger.

The majority of Gray's job is to create and score goals (ie end product required).

then let me rephrase it as "statistical product."  From a DM/pivot, I definitely expect

- attacking passes (Mendy: virtually nil for long balls, through balls and completed crosses)

- tackles (Mendy 1.4 per 90, Ndidi 3.8, Hamza 2.4, even Tielemans 1.5)

- interceptions (Mendy 1.2 per 90, Ndidi > 2, Hamza 1.9)

As I said, I am not unhappy to see Mendy subbed on when we are leading.  But Rodgers plays only one DM.  Given a reasonable offer for Mendy, why not sell and let the more promising home-grown youngster get those minutes?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, J.Lisemore said:

Sell. Can’t see any Turkish team paying £10m for him though, will more than likely be another loan. 

It would be a strange move to loan out a player with 12 months left on his contract.

On 21/04/2019 at 14:15, KingsX said:

Interesting that as FT runs out of patience with Gray, some call Mendy “underrated”.  Because Mendy is a player with almost no end product.

In 2000+ minutes: no goals, assists or big chances created; one or two each of completed crosses and through balls.  He’s an inferior DM in terms of tackles and interceptions.  His good statistic is an 89% completion percentage, which wows safety-first fans who can’t stand to see another Ndidi giveaway.  But in terms of passing into attack, even Wilf is more productive.  Mendy’s only strong point is as a safe ball recycler.

Decent to have on the bench as cover and to help see out a win.  But if Galatasaray are serious, I would rather give Hamza his chance.

Cant argue with stats but dont slate mendy for no goals or assists, that isnt his job.

• Like 3

On 20/04/2019 at 12:10, StriderHiryu said:

Surprised he’s only being linked with Turkey because Mendy is a good player. IMO he could easily play for teams around us like West Ham, Watford etc. He just bore the brunt of being Puel’s man when he played both Ndidi and Mendy which led to a lack of forward impetus especially at home, which is why he gets a bad rep. 

I think he’s a very good squad player and currently better than Hamza. But I think clearing the path for Hamza would not be a bad idea as not only does he have potential but he also bleeds the Leicester blue and I love seeing players who truly care for the club in the team. 

Very good squad player but not quite good enough for our standard.

But you say he's easily good enough to play for teams that are our standard?

Your contradicting yourself there.

Which is it? Good enough or not? 

2 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Very good squad player but not quite good enough for our standard.

But you say he's easily good enough to play for teams that are our standard?

Your contradicting yourself there.

Which is it? Good enough or not? 

He's good enough, but we only play with one defensive midfielder these days, and Ndidi is the better player hence why he's on the bench every game. He's well worth keeping but because we have Hamza, we could afford to let him go IMO.

If we didn't have Ndidi then based on his performances this season, Mendy would easily be our first choice defensive midfielder and we wouldn't be looking to replace him. 

• Like 1

If Wilf got injured  or his form dipped dramatically Mendy is the obvious shoe in ...   Hamza not quite ready ...   

Keep.

And ...   when Clod played him and Wilf together..  we did do quite well against top 6 teams ...   just saying ....

13 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

If Wilf got injured  or his form dipped dramatically Mendy is the obvious shoe in ...   Hamza not quite ready ...   

Keep.

And ...   when Clod played him and Wilf together..  we did do quite well against top 6 teams ...   just saying ....

I love the little fella in many ways but he's expendable and right now we have young talented cover for this particular position. What we need right now is a replacement left back understudy if Fuchs isn't staying another year, we need cash for Tielemans and an understudy for his position plus a starting winger/forward/striker.

If selling Mendy means circa £8-10 million towards the above then he goes on the exit list along with the many others. 

• Like 1

On 20/04/2019 at 13:25, BenTheFox said:

That's largely been down to the teams we've been playing though. We should definitely have that option when we come up against better sides. 

I see where you are

coming from but we need backup for youri, a similar, more attack minded playmaking midfielder. Rather than stacking defensive options in midfield. I just think it would make more sense and mean we wouldn’t have to change our style and gameplan if youri got an injury.

2 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

I love the little fella in many ways but he's expendable and right now we have young talented cover for this particular position. What we need right now is a replacement left back understudy if Fuchs isn't staying another year, we need cash for Tielemans and an understudy for his position plus a starting winger/forward/striker.

If selling Mendy means circa £8-10 million towards the above then he goes on the exit list along with the many others. 

Mendy is just average and mid 20's, if you can get £8-£10m for players like that then it's a sell every time for me. 

i doubt that anyone would pay that for him though but you should never turn down good money for squad players who are unlikely to improve in the future. 

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Mendy is just average and mid 20's, if you can get £8-£10m for players like that then it's a sell every time for me. 

i doubt that anyone would pay that for him though but you should never turn down good money for squad players who are unlikely to improve in the future. 

I honestly see him as better than that ...   and everyone keeps saying how BR will get more out of our players and improve them (especially BR himself !) ...   then there is no reason why he can't get more out of Mendy ...   big call to lose a proven back up if we don't want to come unstuck in the future ..  Wilf is good but can go through bad patches (or get injured) ....  imo.

If we had a 'better' replacement ...   fair enough.

8 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

I honestly see him as better than that ...   and everyone keeps saying how BR will get more out of our players and improve them (especially BR himself !) ...   then there is no reason why he can't get more out of Mendy ...   big call to lose a proven back up if we don't want to come unstuck in the future ..  Wilf is good but can go through bad patches (or get injured) ....  imo.

If we had a 'better' replacement ...   fair enough.

It's all price dependent. If we got a good offer around the £8m mark we'd be crazy not to take it for a player who will never improve us.

He's worthy of a place in the squad but I'd be happy to cash in if possible and it would leave the opportunity for Choudhury to play more minutes and we have Amartey as well who could back that position up if need be. 

I think all players should fit into a certain category of a squad:

1) First team players

2) Up and coming players

3) Squad fillers on their way down who can't command a fee

If you get an opportunity to get good money for a squad filler then sell them and take the money. 

7 minutes ago, Gerard said:

It's all price dependent. If we got a good offer around the £8m mark we'd be crazy not to take it for a player who will never improve us.

He's worthy of a place in the squad but I'd be happy to cash in if possible and it would leave the opportunity for Choudhury to play more minutes and we have Amartey as well who could back that position up if need be. 

I think all players should fit into a certain category of a squad:

1) First team players

2) Up and coming players

3) Squad fillers on their way down who can't command a fee

If you get an opportunity to get good money for a squad filler then sell them and take the money. 

I'd agree with most of that but lets see how much Hamza improves and if Amartey is still the player he was ...   for the sake of £8m ...   or lower ...    I'd still keep him.