Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Papy Mendy

• 2 months later...

I wonder how Mendy would do in a more advanced role.

He is clearly an intelligent player, so is it possible his extreme defensive style last year was for tactical reasons set out by Puel?

For some reason I could see him excelling as a box to box, applying pressure from the front & also keeping the ball moving in tight spaces when we’re attacking the final third. 

Obviously not a first teamer, but as a backup. Maybe i’m being too optimistic and we should cash in due to his 1 year contract?

1 minute ago, Shane said:

I wonder how Mendy would do in a more advanced role.

He is clearly an intelligent player, so is it possible his extreme defensive style last year was for tactical reasons set out by Puel?

For some reason I could see him excelling as a box to box, applying pressure from the front & also keeping the ball moving in tight spaces when we’re attacking the final third. 

Obviously not a first teamer, but as a backup. Maybe i’m being too optimistic and we should cash in due to his 1 year contract?

The man has zero goals and zero assists in his ENTIRE time at Leicester, it's pretty damning.

I think it's clear Rodgers wants Ndidi to anchor the midfield and Tielemans to provide the link to our attackers. 

I don't see BR using Mendy in a Britton-style role here. 

27 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The man has zero goals and zero assists in his ENTIRE time at Leicester, it's pretty damning.

Wrong totally wrong,many quality midfielders are set up differently and are feeders,quite a few top European teams carry such players,sort of water carriers !! 

lastseason we saw him in a specific role,maybe he has more to offer....so I suggest friendly like don't go on blind assumptions.Non irrelevant stats prove nothing..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Wrong totally wrong,many quality midfielders are set up differently and are feeders,quite a few top European teams carry such players,sort of water carriers !! 

lastseason we saw him in a specific role,maybe he has more to offer....so I suggest friendly like don't go on blind assumptions.Non irrelevant stats prove nothing..

He has very little qualities required to play in a more advanced role, Rodgers midfielders except for the anchor have to score and create goals. He demands it of his number 8's/10's/wingers etc. Mendy is a more than able midfield anchor and is great at bringing on in the closing stages of games when we are protecting a result but i'd not expect or want him playing in the sort of role that Maddison and Tielemans now play together in front of Ndidi or Choudhury. I'd honestly rather Papy have a gig in goal than in the hole behind Vardy haha.

Mendy is good player within his role. He's good at breaking up play and recycles the ball well. One of those that I wouldn't actively want to see depart the club because he still has a valuable role to play but with his contract situation and being behind Ndidi and, arguably, Hamza in the deep midfield role offers would probably be heard.

31 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

He has 1 goal and 4 assists in 14 THOUSAND 519 minutes of football, becase he's a defensvie midfielder. His entire carrer has shown what he is, if he was anything else he'd have shown it by the age of 27.

The lad wasslated on here for no good reason in my opinion, he was never as bad as people made out. But suggesting he could or should play further forward makes about as much sense as suggesting we play Kasper up front.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 4

While Mendy showed he was good in his role under Rodgers, BR only employed that particular role situationally at the end of the season. I can’t imagine Mendy will want to resign to continue his career as a bench player, so it would probably make sense for City sell him, particularly if we want to make more headway for Choudhury to play more.

Tidy little player, really unfortunate we didn't see the best of him in his first two seasons because of a gruesome injury.

1 season left though, bit part player, other options available? Cash in, au revoir Pappeh

I like him, always has a smile on his face and works hard and does the simple things well. However, I just don't think he has enough to his game to be a decent Premier League midfielder. He doesn't excel in any one area and I just don't see the value in keeping him as I believe we could sign someone who could offer more from the bench, for not that much money. If we don't sign another CM, then fair enough, hold on to him for time being but if we get an offer and have another CM lined up like McGregor, then sell for sure.

27yo and one year left on his contract.

Ndidi is in front of him and Choudhury and Amartey can cover there and are no worse. Any time you get a cash offer for squad players of his type of age then sell especially when the squad would be no poorer for his absence. 

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He has very little qualities required to play in a more advanced role, Rodgers midfielders except for the anchor have to score and create goals. He demands it of his number 8's/10's/wingers etc. Mendy is a more than able midfield anchor and is great at bringing on in the closing stages of games when we are protecting a result but i'd not expect or want him playing in the sort of role that Maddison and Tielemans now play together in front of Ndidi or Choudhury. I'd honestly rather Papy have a gig in goal than in the hole behind Vardy haha.

Don't mock it until you try it!

Football world is full of player- career/position turn arounds.

I prefer to let kharma sort it out.Plus I don't get payed millions to find it out..

Supporting,encouraging and throwing TV through window is far more better for unwinding-stress. 

Fans really do waste or spend their time on creating assumptions..between  what players are asked to do and what they can do. This club itself has given many players different temporary or permanent roles to their accustomed/recognised position...

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

He did have that one shot for us though.  Once.  Ever.

I know it is not his role, but Mendy is the bluntest of blunt instruments.  He can be neat and tidy but so unadventurous.  Defensive midfielders can still contribute to attack, Dier, N'didi and Matic get forward a bit, otherwise is he a midfielder at all?  Isn't he just another defender?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

Don't think he will get much game time but a better option than King or James just, get rid.

King and James are really not an option. They shouldn't be the squad at all. Sell them please.