Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Papy Mendy

I like Mendy, think he's a solid, steady player and has had a decent season. I put him in the same category as Iborra - I'd be happy to keep him because he adds something to the squad, although not necessarily the starting 11, but when a good money offer comes in I would take it.

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

I'd agree with most of that but lets see how much Hamza improves and if Amartey is still the player he was ...   for the sake of £8m ...   or lower ...    I'd still keep him.

Crazy how far we've (and the PL in general I guess) come since signing Ulloa for that and us thinking it was massive

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Crazy how far we've (and the PL in general I guess) come since signing Ulloa for that and us thinking it was massive

I can remember my dad shaking his head when Trevor Francis went for £1m and saying, the then equivalent of, The worlds gone fookin mad !!

He is a decent player, a stabilising player who can be brought on that effect.

He does however share the position with Wilf, and unless Wilf’s form drops off a cliff, he can only be backup. If he is happy with that, fair enough, but doubt he will be for long.

France beckons I reckon.

Hamza can then be backup until he gets frustrated or Wilf gets his next move.

I like him, but as above if we keep him then he’ll hamper Hamza’s development. 

If we get offered £10m+ then we’ll probably take it. But if he does leave I will certainly not have a bad word to say about Papy as the way he’s fought through those couple of horror years he had with injury is admirable. 

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

He is a decent player, a stabilising player who can be brought on that effect.

He does however share the position with Wilf, and unless Wilf’s form drops off a cliff, he can only be backup. If he is happy with that, fair enough, but doubt he will be for long.

France beckons I reckon.

Hamza can then be backup until he gets frustrated or Wilf gets his next move.

For a stabilising player he's made some pretty costly mistakes this season. Who was it against that he gifted them both their goals?

If an offer comes in I think he'll go.

9 minutes ago, foxer said:

For a stabilising player he's made some pretty costly mistakes this season. Who was it against that he gifted them both their goals?

If an offer comes in I think he'll go.

There are not many who haven`t to be fair...

I dont think we should sell. We need a squad of players, not just the first 11.

Mendy can do a fairly decent job, a safe pair of hands to enforce the Midfield late in the game when we are seeing a game out.

I understand the though behind wanting to give Hamza a better chance, but maybe the competition would be good for him?

• Like 1

If he wants to stay then keep him. He's pretty different to Ndidi and Choudhury in terms of style and we've seen he can be pretty useful when we need someone to come on and keep things ticking over. He was one of our better players in the first part of the season until the malaise really set in and I don't think he was any more at fault for the failure of the Mendy-Ndidi partnership than Ndidi was. 

I know we all want the squad strengthening and refreshing but that doesn't mean we can just get rid of everyone who's not a guaranteed starter.

• Like 1

I would like to think that he would want to play more regularly, so it maybe his desire to seek employment at a new club, rather than us wanting to sell. I am not overly bothered whether he stays or goes, but. I hope if he stays it is because he wants to fight for his place, rather than taking a massive pay cheque home each week.

On 22/04/2019 at 16:00, J.Lisemore said:

Might be the only way of getting him off the wage bill until his contract is up, it happens. 

It might happen to someone like King or James ..... But this is a guy that's a regular starter and if he doesn't start he's on the bench - he's not a give-away / get rid and cut your losses player!

5 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

It might happen to someone like King or James ..... But this is a guy that's a regular starter and if he doesn't start he's on the bench - he's not a give-away / get rid and cut your losses player!

Now Puel has gone he’ll be far from a regular starter. We’ll see what happens but I wouldn’t rule out him being sold / sent out on loan for his final year to free up some wages when we’ve already got Hamza in reserve. 

On 24/04/2019 at 09:40, CollinsLCFC said:

I understand the though behind wanting to give Hamza a better chance, but maybe the competition would be good for him?

This.

People forget that a good squad, if managed properly, generates competition. It's hard to train well if you don't have enough grafters in your squad.

20 hours ago, J.Lisemore said:

Now Puel has gone he’ll be far from a regular starter. We’ll see what happens but I wouldn’t rule out him being sold / sent out on loan for his final year to free up some wages when we’ve already got Hamza in reserve. 

Sold, yes.

Loaned, i very much doubt it

• 2 weeks later...

Now we are playing 2 dm's in some games, would anyone like to withdraw their sell posts? :D

I reckon he is better than most think. His decent form this season for us came amid a team which was slowly going belly up. One knock to Hamza or Wilf and Brendan is struggling to play the way that just produced our most excellent recent win. I think Amartey could do a job in there, but we would be thin without Papy.

We have to keep him if we can, but he might think he has better prospects elsewhere.

7 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Now we are playing 2 dm's in some games, would anyone like to withdraw their sell posts? :D

I reckon he is better than most think. His decent form this season for us came amid a team which was slowly going belly up. One knock to Hamza or Wilf and Brendan is struggling to play the way that just produced our most excellent recent win. I think Amartey could do a job in there, but we would be thin without Papy.

We have to keep him if we can, but he might think he has better prospects elsewhere.

If we play Hamza and Ndidi in our 12  or so games against the top six then we'd need a backup but as you mentioned we have Amartey and Josh Knight (who's been getting plaudits playing DM albeit in league one) but neither would be as good as Mendy. If we need the money to buy players elsewhere in the squad then I'd still sell and take a risk on Knight and Amartey.

• Like 1

We've far far bigger concerns than Mendy. If Ndidi were to get a long term injury without Mendy as back up we're in a position of relying solely on Hamza unless we're going to start playing Andy King again.

We've no idea how Amartey will return after such a serious injury, nor indeed how Rodgers sees him fitting into his plans.

We need to thin down the wage bill but that will happen anyway with some out of contract departures. However, it is the likes of Slimani and Silva who are the real issues and costing us a packet.

Unless we're going to replace Mendy or he actually wants to leave I would keep him, at least we know what he has to offer.

• Like 2

If purely down to trimming wages & outside of those that are probably going anyway Slim and the out of contract lads, I'd sell both Mendy and Amartey.

Rough I know on DA as he's been injured + I like the pair of them really but hear me out, sell those buy C McGregor we plays both defensive and offensive roles so that's cover for Ndidi/Hamza and Maddison/Tielemans (if we can secure) we then have Hamza to cover DA's roles DM/RB just not CB but we have enough of those already now & McGregor to cover DM/AM.

So sell 2 buy 1 but still cover 3 or 4 positions.

That said C McGregor is more than just cover and would want to start but would really strengthen the squad and allow players to take breaks and allow us to push on more than just the on the League front, just imagine looking at the bench and seeing CM or JM, YT even HC depending on who's started rather than DA and PM there's defensive and attacking options there to come on and influence the game.

Edited by BKLFox