Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Papy Mendy

10 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Now we are playing 2 dm's in some games, would anyone like to withdraw their sell posts? :D

I reckon he is better than most think. His decent form this season for us came amid a team which was slowly going belly up. One knock to Hamza or Wilf and Brendan is struggling to play the way that just produced our most excellent recent win. I think Amartey could do a job in there, but we would be thin without Papy.

We have to keep him if we can, but he might think he has better prospects elsewhere.

It's all price dependent so no.

If we got a decent cash offer I'd sell but if a club want to take him on loan then keep. Harsh I know but for me he's one of those "squad cloggers" who are not quite good enough for the first team and too old to expect improvement. I'd much rather see Choudhury have a clear run to become Ndidi's partner or understudy dependent on the game and rely on Amartey as cover or get in someone like McGregor as @BKLFox has suggested to cover all three CM roles. 

For me my ideal squad would be about 14/15 proper first team players and the other 10 or so made up of genuine young talent and ex first team players who we haven't sold or too old to command a worthwhile fee like Morgan. 

Edited by Gerard

11 hours ago, Gerard said:

It's all price dependent so no.

If we got a decent cash offer I'd sell but if a club want to take him on loan then keep. Harsh I know but for me he's one of those "squad cloggers" who are not quite good enough for the first team and too old to expect improvement. I'd much rather see Choudhury have a clear run to become Ndidi's partner or understudy dependent on the game and rely on Amartey as cover or get in someone like McGregor as @BKLFox has suggested to cover all three CM roles. 

For me my ideal squad would be about 14/15 proper first team players and the other 10 or so made up of genuine young talent and ex first team players who we haven't sold or too old to command a worthwhile fee like Morgan. 

He's 26

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fleckneymike said:

He's 26

27 in a month and you don't expect too much improvement at that age. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule but I would guess that he won't improve markedly enough to be anything but an adequate squad player. 

10 hours ago, Gerard said:

27 in a month and you don't expect too much improvement at that age. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule but I would guess that he won't improve markedly enough to be anything but an adequate squad player. 

Vardy got quite a bit better at a similar age.

On 04/05/2019 at 10:53, coolhandfox said:

For me I'd sell and try and buy another how a bit of a all rounder, he's just to limited on the ball for me.

Really ? I think this is the strongest part of his game, very very hard to dispossess, hardly ever misses a pass and always tries to go forwards, very skillful as well, unlucky not to be a starter for me but he`s a walking final score when we bring him on :-)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

Vardy got quite a bit better at a similar age.

Vardy's clearly a one off though.

I quite like him, he's a tidy player who's tactically very aware but I'd rather we got some value out of him now than lose him on a free next season.

1 hour ago, mad biker said:

Really ? I think this is the strongest part of his game, very very hard to dispossess, hardly ever misses a pass and always tries to go forwards, very skillful as well, unlucky not to be a starter for me but he`s a walking final score when we bring him on :-)

I just think he's an average player, he's range of passing is limited, he's not overly mobile, his got no goal threat, isn't going to provide a assist. His made a number of mistakes leading to goals.

Ndidi, Hamza give more as DM for me.

How many goals has he created or scored? 

He is not going to get in ahead of N'Didi and I don't think he is any better than Hamza who is far younger. 

I don't think he is any better than King although he puts himself about more. King at least pops up with the odd goal and assist. Get rid whilwe can get a fee for him. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

He is not going to get in ahead of N'Didi and I don't think he is any better than Hamza who is far younger. 

I don't think he is any better than King although he puts himself about more. King at least pops up with the odd goal and assist. Get rid whilwe can get a fee for him. 

But he's a great option to bring on and secure a game up. He's a tidy passer and has energy on the pitch.

As long as he's not wanting to leave or a decent bid comes in, I wouldnt be actively trying to sell.

I think Mendy is a very tidy player. He just doesn't suit the way we are trying to play. He works very hard but he's not combative enough like Kante was and hes not athletic in the way that Ndidi is. He essentially does a very good mop up job which we don't really require. I feel he's not too dissimilar to Jorjinho from Chelsea. 

I'd sell if an offer comes in and have hamza as the back up as well as maybe another attacking cm option to cover Maddison and Tielemans(if we can keep him).

Tielemans future here will probably play a part on whether or not we keep or sell Mendy. 

I personally don’t see the point in selling him. It would generate very little money, as most prem teams wouldn’t want him and the foreign teams who would be after him can’t afford much. He’s probably more comfortable being towards the back of the pecking order than a new signing would be, and there’s no guarantee that a new signing would perform any better. He’s capable of coming on as a sub and keeping the ball and making a couple of tackles which is fine. And he seems to have some good relationships with the squad. Him and Ricardo appear to be very good friends on social media and selling him might upset him a bit and good morale is vital for performing well.

I wouldn’t be that annoyed if he left, I just personally don’t see the need to sell someone and sign a replacement who’ll be 4 or 5th choice.

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

Vardy's clearly a one off though.

I quite like him, he's a tidy player who's tactically very aware but I'd rather we got some value out of him now than lose him on a free next season.

Ian Wright moves to Arsenal at around 27/28 and he turned out ok too. 

47 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

Ian Wright moves to Arsenal at around 27/28 and he turned out ok too. 

I'm sure you can give a few more examples but vast majority don't. 

I've seen nothing to suggest Mendy will turn into Pirlo or Keane in his late 20's. 

3 hours ago, srex9 said:

I think Mendy is a very tidy player. He just doesn't suit the way we are trying to play. He works very hard but he's not combative enough like Kante was and hes not athletic in the way that Ndidi is. He essentially does a very good mop up job which we don't really require. I feel he's not too dissimilar to Jorjinho from Chelsea

I'd sell if an offer comes in and have hamza as the back up as well as maybe another attacking cm option to cover Maddison and Tielemans(if we can keep him).

Tielemans future here will probably play a part on whether or not we keep or sell Mendy. 

Jorginho is a deep-lying midfielder who can control the tempo of a game. Mendy's not got the vision, awareness, technique or intelligence to do that.  That's what we need to sign Tielemans for. Mendy has been used sparingly with Hamza and Ndidi ahead of him in the squad. I think he can be useful to see out games. I think he has a good attitude and work rate, but he's an average player at the end of the day. 

• Like 2

He's a tidy player, useful squad player, though I understand the concern he could affect Hamza's development. He's not too old either. 

Isnt he approaching the final year of his contract? if so that's a major factor. Would he settle for a new contract as a squad player, or do we sell him to get a return on the investment?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

King isn't a DM.

12 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Different company given but, how many goals has Busquets scored for Barcelona or what about Makalele in his career? Why would you be expecting Mendy to score a bucket full of goals or dozens of assists? If you hadn't noticed he's was employed in a paricular role by Puel and, at the start of the season when people couldn't believe his inclusion on the team sheet he became one of our most consistent players and often vyed for man of the match or can't you remember that? One of our problems was style of play and the sameness of some of our players and lack of other types, not necessarily our individual players themsrlves. I can't see the rush to throw the baby out with the bath water only to spend money on another squad player, he's perfectly good enough. Whst money there may be will be spent elsewhere hopefully and rightly so. Some supporters have two critical settings when it suits them, brilliant and shit. There's a lot of room in between and certain players do certain necessary jobs that are neither eye catching or glamorous but required for the betterment of the overall team performance. For every Cantona you needed a 'water carrier' like Dechamps who was a vital integral part for club and country. Mendy is a very decent accomplished footballer who can do a particular job competently. We will need more than three midfielders next season even if we manage to get Tielemans. 

• Like 1

I get both sides of this debate. Truth for me is that if BR wants to use him as a filler to see out games and wants and can afford to keep him then that’s great. However, if he’s worth a transfer fee and we need the cash to bring in Tielemans and a forward/wide player then he’s expendable as he’s not central to our plans in that if we lost him we would be in trouble or that we simply have no depth in squad to cover his position.

He’s a non essential, luxury commodity.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Different company given but, how many goals has Busquets scored for Barcelona or what about Makalele in his career? Why would you be expecting Mendy to score a bucket full of goals or dozens of assists? If you hadn't noticed he's was employed in a paricular role by Puel and, at the start of the season when people couldn't believe his inclusion on the team sheet he became one of our most consistent players and often vyed for man of the match or can't you remember that? One of our problems was style of play and the sameness of some of our players and lack of other types, not necessarily our individual players themsrlves. I can't see the rush to throw the baby out with the bath water only to spend money on another squad player, he's perfectly good enough. Whst money there may be will be spent elsewhere hopefully and rightly so. Some supporters have two critical settings when it suits them, brilliant and shit. There's a lot of room in between and certain players do certain necessary jobs that are neither eye catching or glamorous but required for the betterment of the overall team performance. For every Cantona you needed a 'water carrier' like Dechamps who was a vital integral part for club and country. Mendy is a very decent accomplished footballer who can do a particular job competently. We will need more than three midfielders next season even if we manage to get Tielemans. 

I have not said he is shit have I? I simply said he does not do enough for me. No goals and no assists is a telling stat. Not shit but distinctly average with no real excellence at any skill. Taking up a wage for me and we have Hamza to develop.