Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Papy Mendy

I think a move depends on Mendy himself. He's a decent player that performs his role very well. Perhaps he won't be first choice but he adds depth and is a good professional. Rather than selling, I would keep him and then when he leaves, he gets the bonus of being able to get better wages and signing on fee due to a lack of transfer fee.

He was really good yesterday, providing a solid base for the attacking players to work from. True unsung hero stuff. When we want so see out games, bringing him on makes a lot of sense as his passing and control is really good. Other than those brain farts he had against Southampton, he rarely is at fault for giving away goals.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Because!!  Of exactly all what what you mentioned ,you have to go out and sell yourself on your Past at even an earlier age. Being believable with character,whether you want to coach,or take up totally another .career 

You won't be positively judged for sitting on your ass ,weaving out of taking responsibility and avoiding descision making...

I dropped in wages and position,to move my own life on,to my satisfaction or to keep on rolling after Great,good and also mixed bad times. Also some regrets And heartache In 3 professions..!!

So I know what I would do...but to be fair

Everybody has their own worries and positive/negative crosses to bare.

Maybe they think they can afford it and already know how their futures will pan out,because their high wages gave them

That security...but leaving the sporting arena after let's say 3-5 years of not pushing it just a little bit more..??

To be fair..Slimani and King have tried to take the next step by taking on loans.and potential moves.

James did at first,then got another injury, he might be thinking of a late rekindling of his evening twighlight years career....Getting first, fit then see what

Developes,the poor boy,like me has had

Atrocious last couple of years!!

They really haven't been wasters,they have tried to keep believing, so no heavy critic from my side..

Partly agree but unlike the sort of wages you and I may be on this Is entirely different due to the potential sums involved. Stick in for a couple of years and wouldn't have to work again in your life if you didn't want to,  absolutely no need to take a pay cut in order to sell yourself. They'd never have to work again if they didn't want to, just do something in or out of football that they wanted to do. Meanwhile, they're family is sorted for life. Think I'd definitely stick in, it's common sense. 

On 16/07/2019 at 12:58, Foxxed said:

I think we need three defensive midfielders. Against the top teams we'll probably use both Ndidi and Hamza in DM. Our only option then is Mendy. But it's possible Josh Knight could make the grade. Not an easy sale. Mendy's a good player. But if the money is right then fair enough - replace him with an academy graduate.

....I think Rodgers likes him!!!!

Can't see him being offloaded as he is a more than adequate back up, experienced and more importantly reliable. He will not be going anywhere, anytime soon!!!!!.

• Like 2

I like Mendy, and the worst thing he’s ever done is not being Kante. If you look at him now compared to his game at Millwall, he’s come on leaps and bounds. Seems to have a good personality too, so is someone we need to keep in and around the squad, at least for this season. 

• Like 4

What’s not to like? Seems a good guy, quite humble, and his shortened form name of Papy which rhymes with Puppy

awwww....

2E9FE449-F4B2-4A9D-B686-1870B3BFC7F0.jpeg.e172f9049359263e592d22d8e4422c4e.jpeg

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I think Rodgers likes him!!!!

Can't see him being offloaded as he is a more than adequate back up, experienced and more importantly reliable. He will not be going anywhere, anytime soon!!!!!.

I like him too. I think he gets a lot of hate because he does unglamorous work and Puel liked him a lot. He's decent. A good player. But between him and an academy graduate I'd rather we give youngsters a chance.

Papy is a keeper for me. If Wilf gets injured he's the only CM we've got who can slip right in and play that defensive/ball winner role. King is shit, let's be honest, and James may as well retire. 

Edit: OK, I forgot about Hamza, but still, extra backup is a good thing for that role. 

Edited by SecretPro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

All he’ll ever be is a decent squad player, he’s no more and no less than that. Pleased for him after his injury troubles that he’s back playing regularly and found his role for us, worth keeping for the time being. 

Although, he has had a couple of shockers in an LCFC shirt, notably Man U at home last season, he was woeful. Think Rodgers has half a brain though and can see, unlike Puel, that he needs players a bit more technically gifted than Wilf next to/around him. Them two really can’t play together 

From the start of last season, nearly every week he was consistent and vying for man of the match and the pundits acknowledged and appreciated it. He did later have a couple of poorer games and boy, people couldn't wait to get on his back. You shouldn't rate every player by their goal tally or assists, you judge them on the particular job they've been given to do and how they execute it. Neither do I remember Huth being technically gifted but he never needed to be did he. For all his good play,  even Maguire made some right balls up with his positioning and Vardy was for long periods ineffective yet such hero's seem to get cut a bit more slack. Don't expect him to be as technically gifted as Maddison and play an attacking role, likewise don't be surprised if Maddison was a shite defensive midfielder. IF he's a squad player, don't expect the club to go out and pay millions for a first teamer to just come and play a bit part and sit on the bench. Mendy for some reason is a much maligned quality midfielder at what he does.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think a move depends on Mendy himself. He's a decent player that performs his role very well. Perhaps he won't be first choice but he adds depth and is a good professional. Rather than selling, I would keep him and then when he leaves, he gets the bonus of being able to get better wages and signing on fee due to a lack of transfer fee. 

He was really good yesterday, providing a solid base for the attacking players to work from. True unsung hero stuff. When we want so see out games, bringing him on makes a lot of sense as his passing and control is really good. Other than those brain farts he had against Southampton, he rarely is at fault for giving away goals.

Forget that. It's about doing what's best for the club. If we feel he is good enough for the coming season, give him an extra couple of years. Then we'll actually get a fee when we come to sell him.

32 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Very good point. Sell, new contract or let him go for free next year.

Maybe he has been offered new terms but has not committed? if he thinks that his game time here might be limited perhaps he is waiting to see how things pan out at the start of next season and will make a decision later. the European transfer window does not close until end of august so he could still decide to go later if an offer came in

Just now, pmcla26 said:

I wasn’t trying to criticise him too much, was just saying how he is a decent squad player and people shouldnt expect too much of him. He is decent at what he does, and I agree his goals and assists tally shouldn’t be taken into consideration for his role when we don’t take into consideration the goals and assists Wilf or Hamza get either. I also have to disagree with the fact he was vying for man of the match most weeks to begin, he was, like I said, just performing to his decent usual standards just as the season went on they dipped quite dramatically (which tbf it did with a lot of players under Puel). I think that does have a lot to do with being partnered with Wilf and playing under Puel though. 

Comparing him to Vardy, Huth and Maguire is unfair tho in the point I was making. You don’t ask Huth to play the ball out from the back, which you do need to some degree as a holding midfielder in order to transition through the pitch. I think a better comparison would be Wilf’s dip in form under Puel, which in turn, wasn’t helped by him playing with Mendy - the partnership just doesn’t work in my opinion. 

In the current system tho, if he was in Wilf’s position rather than partnered with him, I think he would perform much better than in the likes of the Southampton home game, Arsenal away and Man U at home, where he was very poor. I’d be disappointed if he did leave, he’s a composed player to bring on with 20 minutes left instead of having Wilf charging about flying into tackles. 

Very true. You need a holding midfielder on the bench to sure things up when protecting a slender lead or, simply due to the nature of the role, to protect your first choice DM from a second yellow if things start getting a bit tasty.

• Like 1

Appreciate it is only one game against lower opposition - but was what noticeable last nice is he didn't dwell on the ball he looked to move with energy.  When there was space he would move forward and look to pick a pass in a forward direction.  Clearly a sign that he can take on board what the manager wants.  The other thing that we didn't see under Puel is more raking direct passes (not just from Mendy) generally in a cross field direction to switch the play, something that was a feature of his highlights real when he first signed for us.  In terms of pecking order he falls in just behind N'Diddi, Tielmans and Maddison for the 3 midfield slots, but an able stand in and maybe push for a regular spot if he continues to impress.

May as well keep for this season, unless a more capable player is signed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M0901 said:

Mendy still has a lot to offer this team. Even if he's not a starting player, he's one hell of a player to have in reserve. Tidy, good on the ball, a nice player to have in this squad. 

Yep a walking final score, defending a lead get him on = 3pts  :-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

All he’ll ever be is a decent squad player, he’s no more and no less than that. Pleased for him after his injury troubles that he’s back playing regularly and found his role for us, worth keeping for the time being. 

Although, he has had a couple of shockers in an LCFC shirt, notably Man U at home last season, he was woeful. Think Rodgers has half a brain though and can see, unlike Puel, that he needs players a bit more technically gifted than Wilf next to/around him. Them two really can’t play together 

Puel knew too. That's why he got us Tielemans. No need to bash puel on this area. He worked with what he had.

• Like 3