Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Papy Mendy

43 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He has 1 goal and 4 assists in 14 THOUSAND 519 minutes of football, becase he's a defensvie midfielder. His entire carrer has shown what he is, if he was anything else he'd have shown it by the age of 27.

The lad wasslated on here for no good reason in my opinion, he was never as bad as people made out. But suggesting he could or should play further forward makes about as much sense as suggesting we play Kasper up front.

I suggest,a thought I don't demand it...!

We have played him to our needs.

Like we have done with many other fringe/struggling/time for a change players.including some of our clubs top players...it's football. 

My slant is again!!! Like all life don't mock it until you have tried it..

ie:. Stringfellow,Glover,Weller,Birchenall,

Kamaark, were played out of their original positions,later Glover and Weller roamed.

plus the negative of trying to make Andy King into an holding/defensive midfielder ,his best role only IMO was AM,or just behind the striker...We took him off the front foot and asked him to back peddle.It failed!!

My post was to kindle thoughts that we shouldn't box and wrap players into single squares,UNTIL if need be we try!!

No earthquakes,no musts. And not judge on one club full of injury careers. I don't know how his loan spell went.

Papy may not be anything but the ball/water carrier for others,that is also not so bad if it oils the system

I also don't judge all players on their goals or assists...like others were mentioning!! So for for me since his return into the fold he has proved again

IMO to be a good solid player, but in the same sentence because last season was really his ONLY real season,I have no idea of his other possible attributes and if he can only play the position/way he has been asked to...Whatever !!

I see a player like Amartey I would rather keep than force away .

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Plus. And this is a big one. He got all three of Ricardo's question's about France correct :thumbup:

Literally the worst video ever, what’s the point of making that shit ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I suggest,a thought I don't demand it...!

We have played him to our needs.

Like we have done with many other fringe/struggling/time for a change players.including some of our clubs top players...it's football. 

My slant is again!!! Like all life don't mock it until you have tried it..

ie:. Stringfellow,Glover,Weller,Birchenall,

Kamaark, were played out of their original positions,later Glover and Weller roamed.

plus the negative of trying to make Andy King into an holding/defensive midfielder ,his best role only IMO was AM,or just behind the striker...We took him off the front foot and asked him to back peddle.It failed!!

My post was to kindle thoughts that we shouldn't box and wrap players into single squares,UNTIL if need be we try!!

No earthquakes,no musts. And not judge on one club full of injury careers. I don't know how his loan spell went.

Papy may not be anything but the ball/water carrier for others,that is also not so bad if it oils the system

I also don't judge all players on their goals or assists...like others were mentioning!! So for for me since his return into the fold he has proved again

IMO to be a good solid player, but in the same sentence because last season was really his ONLY real season,I have no idea of his other possible attributes and if he can only play the position/way he has been asked to...Whatever !!

I see a player like Amartey I would rather keep than force away .

Defensvie midfielders can still show other assets of their game (see Kante). You don't need to play them as an ACM to know if they can shoot or create, their range of passing and their abilty to shoot etc prove that when the opportunity arrises. He doesn't have either, hence why every where he's gone that's where he's played and he never creates.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DanNDH88 said:

I cannot imagine what you mean....

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Defensvie midfielders can still show other assets of their game (see Kante). You don't need to play them as an ACM to know if they can shoot or create, their range of passing and their abilty to shoot etc prove that when the opportunity arrises. He doesn't have either, hence why every where he's gone that's where he's played and he never creates.

Fair dues..I am not insisting on anything,

9 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Fair dues..I am not insisting on anything,

I know, I know what you're saying and there are certain players you can see have the assets to play in multiple positions (Ricardo for instance). Then there are others though whose limitations are fairly obvious.

17 hours ago, Babylon said:

I know, I know what you're saying and there are certain players you can see have the assets to play in multiple positions (Ricardo for instance). Then there are others though whose limitations are fairly obvious.

I know we more or less closed this out between ourselves,but something sort of grinds or sticks by me..

"Whose limitations are obvious"

In ballsports,athletics even swimming,

Seemingly Stuck in the mud sportsmen/women at high and low level,with no previous showing of wider

Skill/position/discipline have changed tact when still young or even when older,and at both amateur and profi levels.

I was until 20 ,what somesay a sport 

High performer with high potential and prospects in 2 sports.Until my knee exploded.In those days there wasn't the medical knowledge,facilities and sponsorship was a long way off.But in Leicestershire/Loughborough just beginning to encourage and give advice.

But Thanks to contacts I was allowed or 

Even encouraged to visit The Leicester city physio,who at the time was recognised as one of the best...Unfortunately after months of trying ,it became obvious it was forelorn.

Over those years, as a young inexperienced man,it surprised me ,out on the national and International circuits,though highly competitive how people helped and encouraged each other. Even opposite coaches from other clubs or even countries.

I came across so many that became

Let's say multi-talented and could of become champions across a few disciplines.Others who started out in one,shown no known inkling of talent for another,then changed discipline or position,some became household names,others because of it may not of reached the hights but became consistent achievers at lower levels enabling them to carry on their sporting

dreams ,on covering other disciplines when the "Day" and their other skills were called upon.

I am not better than anybody else at judging, but because of how my life has panned out and the variant of people I have met,enabled me to understand in all walks of life,there is no end chapter, of  'to see what you got'  also to me there is nothing that is "obvious"

A small example...Alan Birchenall.comes to Leicester a rugged but skillfull 1st division striker.Amusing,entertaining,but looked nothing like a midfield general.

Bloomfield gobsmacks us all,and puts him in midfield, the pub and terrace talk 

"What the f*+k shall that bring us"

Well he turned out to be a revelation,brought out a reperptoire nobody outside the team knew or imagined  he had in him,became even more loved...

The Bloomfield eye,had him being selected with G.Cross for an England select. Unfortunately both got injured.

Birchenall worse than Cross,but even in his first comeback,a full cap in midfield for a "Leicester-player" from outside sources was being suggested.but his injury problems not only bucked that idea,but would eventually shorten a promising club career in his new found position....It was also a time we were believing we could break the top 4...

Edited by fuchsntf

17 hours ago, DanNDH88 said:

It was to demonstrate how the "Puel Influence" improved our knowledge of France, and the use of the English language.

13 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

King and James need to go before this guy does . 

Matty James will see out his contract then retire at the end of it. He's finished I reckon, from a business perspective it was stupid to give him that contract.

King is a Leicester legend but probably needs to drop down a league to continue playing first team football. Doubtful this will happen as no-one will match his wage, however he did earn his contract and should be allowed to see it out unlike James.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Babylon said:

He has 1 goal and 4 assists in 14 THOUSAND 519 minutes of football, becase he's a defensvie midfielder. His entire carrer has shown what he is, if he was anything else he'd have shown it by the age of 27.

The lad wasslated on here for no good reason in my opinion, he was never as bad as people made out. But suggesting he could or should play further forward makes about as much sense as suggesting we play Kasper up front.

Absolutely right Babylon. I think we as a fanbase have a strange complex when it comes to judging defensive midfielders on their goal contributions rather than their actual purpose, which is to snuff out attacks and launch our own. Mendy definitely falls into that category, and with the exception of Kante I don't think we've ever had a player in the defensive mid position who was not at least partially judged on their goal return - though Wilf is slowly getting to that point, albeit while chipping in with the odd goal to keep those fans sweet.

Case in point, and following on from my comment in the League One thread, people both in the stands and on here used to slag off Matt Oakley despite him doing a solid if unremarkable job for us in the Kermorgant season and early Sven days, largely because he was never involved in the goals. He then scored for the first time in two years in back to back games against Crystal Palace and Forest and was the proverbial canine's testicles amongst that same bunch of fans again for the next few weeks and months. Typical, clichéd "I always rated him" stuff delivered without a hint of irony.

Mendy is well and truly in that category, despite doing a solid if unremarkable CDM job. I would also say that we were well and truly spoilt with Kante at his peak, which has set a bar that only Wilf has so far come close to reaching. No joke - if we ever see him net in a Leicester shirt he'll be everyone's best mate all of a sudden.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 3

I think we need three defensive midfielders. Against the top teams we'll probably use both Ndidi and Hamza in DM. Our only option then is Mendy. But it's possible Josh Knight could make the grade. Not an easy sale. Mendy's a good player. But if the money is right then fair enough - replace him with an academy graduate.

48 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I think we need three defensive midfielders. Against the top teams we'll probably use both Ndidi and Hamza in DM. Our only option then is Mendy. But it's possible Josh Knight could make the grade. Not an easy sale. Mendy's a good player. But if the money is right then fair enough - replace him with an academy graduate.

There's Amartey, as well.

• Like 2

Mendy has been decent for us in a limited role.  But a “safe hand” to protect a lead at 70’ is not a rare commodity.  Leaving out goal contribution, for those who prefer, he’s still well below average as a ball-winner and forward passer -- skills that define a well-rounded DM.  When was the last time he played a defense-splitting pass that led to a goal opportunity in a PL match?

With our ambitions, we need to relentlessly improve, not just trim the squad of the most obvious deadwood.  Hamza has earned the rotation minutes.  And if Rodgers continues to start both Choudhury and Ndidi against the top-six sides, Amartey is acceptable backup.  With a year left on Mendy’s contract, if we can get ₤5M, good business, and he’ll get a lot more minutes in France.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

If I were them I’d want to go and play first team football before age finishes them, but I’ve never been on their kind of ££££ so obviously that’s what’s influencing their decision to stay.

James Because of injury might be wary,

king also took bad knocks scuppering 

2 possible moves...fine lines,fine lines!!

Also Slimani...failed loan moves..

Ride out their contracts with present club, then go & drop down on expected wages,and a division..

Not my way of thinking,because if you loved this chosen career ,surely you want real game-time,even if it means

Dropping 1 even 2 leagues..Retire with

Some End of career memories..!! 3-4

Good honest season's!! Using your experience in a lower league team project..

Not just stay languishing around..!!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

James Because of injury might be wary,

king also took bad knocks scuppering 

2 possible moves...fine lines,fine lines!!

Also Slimani...failed loan moves..

Ride out their contracts with present club, then go & drop down on expected wages,and a division..

Not my way of thinking,because if you loved this chosen career ,surely you want real game-time,even if it means

Dropping 1 even 2 leagues..Retire with

Some End of career memories..!! 3-4

Good honest season's!! Using your experience in a lower league team project..

Not just stay languishing around..!!

Sounds very noble but what if it was you? What if you had a wife and kids? The sort of money they can earn by staying put can potentially set their kids up and even the next generation as well if invested properly. Unlike supporters who pop and watch a football match for entertainment on a Saturday and then gossip about it for the rest of the week, this is real life. It's their job and their livelihood. Who in their tiny minds at 30yrs old with a family would take a massive paycut just to kick a football around at a lower league club? Such a move when younger may be wise to get game time and climb the ladder but at 30 you're at the end of your career and there are bigger issues. I'm sure many are gagging to play the sport they love but it isn't probably a viable option.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Sounds very noble but what if it was you? What if you had a wife and kids? The sort of money they can earn by staying put can potentially set their kids up and even the next generation as well if invested properly. Unlike supporters who pop and watch a football match for entertainment on a Saturday and then gossip about it for the rest of the week, this is real life. It's their job and their livelihood. Who in their tiny minds at 30yrs old with a family would take a massive paycut just to kick a football around at a lower league club? Such a move when younger may be wise to get game time and climb the ladder but at 30 you're at the end of your career and there are bigger issues. I'm sure many are gagging to play the sport they love but it isn't probably a viable option.

Agreed, players coming to the end of their careers, either through age or injury, must consider securing the financial future for their families. Obviously they have earned enough to ensure they won't be destitute, but young men, earning the type of money they are, will get used to spending it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Because!!  Of exactly all what what you mentioned ,you have to go out and sell yourself on your Past at even an earlier age. Being believable with character,whether you want to coach,or take up totally another .career 

You won't be positively judged for sitting on your ass ,weaving out of taking responsibility and avoiding descision making...

I dropped in wages and position,to move my own life on,to my satisfaction or to keep on rolling after Great,good and also mixed bad times. Also some regrets And heartache In 3 professions..!!

So I know what I would do...but to be fair

Everybody has their own worries and positive/negative crosses to bare.

Maybe they think they can afford it and already know how their futures will pan out,because their high wages gave them

That security...but leaving the sporting arena after let's say 3-5 years of not pushing it just a little bit more..??

To be fair..Slimani and King have tried to take the next step by taking on loans.and potential moves.

James did at first,then got another injury, he might be thinking of a late rekindling of his evening twighlight years career....Getting first, fit then see what

Developes,the poor boy,like me has had

Atrocious last couple of years!!

They really haven't been wasters,they have tried to keep believing, so no heavy critic from my side..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Actually in pretty much most cases when a player under contract 'takes a pay cut' to join another team they will still be paid the difference until the contract ends with the selling club for example if King were to join a club on 15k a week, Leicester would pay the difference until his original contract with Leicester ends. Clubs usually do this to try and save a bit of money and move a player on its usually either that or a 'mutual termination'.

On 16/07/2019 at 11:12, baldeagle said:

King and James need to go before this guy does . 

Definitely.

Is there any evidence that Mendy is likely to be sold?

Ndidi, Choudhury and Mendy is great CDM depth.