Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Tonight was a great example of the difference it makes when you nail a set piece. Crystal Palace came to frustrate and sit deep but the minute TAA hits that the game's pretty much gone for Palace. We wasted umpteen set pieces against both Watford and Brighton, a bit of quality from just one of those and the picture looks so different.

3 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Neville is a great pundit. He's always looking tactically what's happening on the pitch. 

Don't have an issue with his punditry, even his commentary on other games but shouldn't be near Man United matches. He spent about 10 minutes in one last season (Huddersfield I think) just ranting away like he was on Red TV or whatever their fan channel is and pretty much ignored the game going on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, surrifox said:

Just me or has every single c***ting result since the resumption gone against us ?

To be honest we can't really complain, we've had loads of them go our way unexpectedly, you can't keep playing like this and expecting to get away with it at this end of the table.

It's still in our hands but that frankly is what scares me most.

20 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Great pundits? Na. They're fairly decent but compare the level of punditry in football to something like cricket and it's absolute night and day.

Now I'm imagining Geoffrey Boycott commentating for a football match...

*Goalkeeper misses a save*   "My mother could have caught that with a stick of rhubarb..."

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Corky said:

Don't have an issue with his punditry, even his commentary on other games but shouldn't be near Man United matches. He spent about 10 minutes in one last season (Huddersfield I think) just ranting away like he was on Red TV or whatever their fan channel is and pretty much ignored the game going on.

He's generally very fair to both teams. Only maybe when he's punditing does he nail his colours firmly to the mast. 

It's no different to Carragher or McManaman being on Liverpool games, Alan Smith on Arsenal games, and Hoddle on Spurs. Or even Don Goodman on Wolves games. Tony Gale is always biased towards London teams too. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

He's generally very fair to both teams. Only maybe when he's punditing does he nail his colours firmly to the mast. 

It's no different to Carragher or McManaman being on Liverpool games, or Alan Smith being on Arsenal games, Hoddle on Spurs. Or even Don Goodman on our games. Tony Gale is always biased towards London teams too. 

It isn't different and that shouldn't be allowed either. Carragher celebrating Liverpool goals on commentary isn't right at all on an independent broadcaster.

Co-commentators should either be neutral or get one in for each team.

17 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

Now I'm imagining Geoffrey Boycott commentating for a football match...

*Goalkeeper misses a save*   "My mother could have caught that with a stick of rhubarb..."

Haha. Just a slightly more articulate and polite version of Roy Keane I guess!

That Brighton handball would have been a penalty in Europe or probably with a crowd screaming at the ref.

Or if that had been Man U/Liverpool/Man City!

You were unlucky there  - Barnes ( I think ..)  would have scored or at least got the ball.

Edited by Super_horns
  • Like 4

Premier League agents' fees table as Liverpool splash out £30million despite few signings
Despite not being heavily involved in the transfer market between the dates of February 1, 2019 and January 31, 2020, official FA figures show Liverpool spent more on agents' fees than any other club

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-agents-fees-table-22249621

Full Premier League table

1. Liverpool - £30,308,791

2. Manchester City - £29,025,799

3. Manchester United - £27,560,409

4. Chelsea - £26,183,337

5. Everton - £16,942,997

6. Leicester City - £15,367,250

7. Arsenal - £13,556,101

8. West Ham - £13,167,647

9. Tottenham - £12,499,074

10. Watford - £9,931,479

11. Bournemouth - £9,512,577

12. Newcastle United - £9,010,554

13. Wolves - £8,619,016

14. Crystal Palace - £8,154,437

15. Southampton - £6,900,365

16. Brighton - £6,851,867

17. Aston Villa - £6,692,576

18. Norwich - £4,908,930

19. Sheffield United - £4,256,434

20. Burnley - £3,919,220

My only hope is that are next few games are on teams with little to play for (Palace, Everton, Arsenal) and teams that are dreadful (Bournemouth).

We balls this up, it's entirely our fault - the good thing is I don't think any of the teams we play next will sit in and we beat all but Man Utd in the last round of fixtures.

Hopefully by the time we play them as well the same goes for Sheff Utd and Spurs.

Edited by Abrasive fox
  • Like 1

Liverpool have been brilliant this season; but pundits are hugely missing the fact Man City have been missing Sane and Laporte for the majority/all of the season. That's similar to Van Dijk and Mane being out for the entire year. 

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Liverpool have been brilliant this season; but pundits are hugely missing the fact Man City have been missing Sane and Laporte for the majority/all of the season. That's similar to Van Dijk and Mane being out for the entire year. 

I agree completely with Laporte being as important to Man City as Van Dijk is to Liverpool. However, Sane is nowhere near as crucial to Man City as Mane is to Liverpool. Man City have got massive depth in that area compared to Liverpool who have nobody who can get even close to replacing Mane.

• Like 4

Liverpool have been ruthless and relentless but I still feel they seem to beat teams without quite looking brilliant. They’re too efficient. When they played us I couldn’t even tell you what they did well but they just smothered us. I wouldn’t say they played pretty or attractive football but they’re relentless and you never seem to get a second on the ball. I’m not knocking them, they have been great but I feel teams could have had a go at them a bit more and even though the results say otherwise I can’t quite see them as one of “the great teams of the premier league era”. Maybe I’m just being a d1ck but I just can’t see anything to like about them?  X 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tfoxt said:

I agree completely with Laporte being as important to Man City as Van Dijk is to Liverpool. However, Sane is nowhere near as crucial to Man City as Mane is to Liverpool. Man City have got massive depth in that area compared to Liverpool who have nobody who can get even close to replacing Mane.

A better comparison could be Gini or Fabinho being injured? Liverpool have cover in the middle but they bring something different. 

4 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Liverpool have been ruthless and relentless but I still feel they seem to beat teams without quite looking brilliant. They’re too efficient. When they played us I couldn’t even tell you what they did well but they just smothered us. I wouldn’t say they played pretty or attractive football but they’re relentless and you never seem to get a second on the ball. I’m not knocking them, they have been great but I feel teams could have had a go at them a bit more and even though the results say otherwise I can’t quite see them as one of “the great teams of the premier league era”. Maybe I’m just being a d1ck but I just can’t see anything to like about them?  X 

They seem to press the other team, spread the ball as wide as possible and create opportunities that way. And eventually they score due to the quality of their forwards. They've also had their luck, but all successful teams have that. I still stand by that Man City are a better overall team.

• Like 1

Man City win the league with a better defence all season imo. Or at very least, the title race goes down to the last day. 

Despite Pep towing the party line, pretending he loves Rodri and Fernandinho has centre backs, they're dreadful defensively. 

I'm not convinced just Laporte is enough to make the difference though. It needs to be Laporte + one other if they want to close the gap next year. The rest of their squad is insanely good, they don't need to worry about the midfield or forwards. David Silva going is sad for them on sentimental grounds but they've basically replaced him already. 

Liverpool have maybe the best defence in the world at the moment. Man City need to be competing with that. Otamendi, Stones, Mendy, Zinchenko et all have no place being in a team trying to win a Premier League Champions League double. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

A better comparison could be Gini or Fabinho being injured? Liverpool have cover in the middle but they bring something different. 

They seem to press the other team, spread the ball as wide as possible and create opportunities that way. And eventually they score due to the quality of their forwards. They've also had their luck, but all successful teams have that. I still stand by that Man City are a better overall team.

Yeah I know it’s probably ridiculous to even say but I think at full strength Man City would beat them but then Liverpool really have been unstoppable. I think I just have an irrational dislike of them and I’m willing to admit my views are clouded by emotion and not based on facts alone.  Being in my late 30s I was a child just at the end of their period of dominance and pretty much everyone slightly older than me supported them.  I think this just made me hate them. Stupid really. 

Edited by RumbleFox

7 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Liverpool'a midfield is almost an irrelevance. You could take any of them out and they'd be fine. They just need to graft, shut the game down, work hard and get the ball to better players. 

Their most essential players are probably the full backs, Van Dijk and the forward three. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

They didn’t have Fabinho for about 2 months and were fine, most of their fans seem to think Ox - Henderson - Fabinho is their best option 

Credit to Klopp for making Liverpool so strong quite quickly. Sakho wasn't great for Palace yesterday and it wasn't that along ago he was lining up for Liverpool (and players like Mereno, Mignolet etc). Or maybe time flies but the difference in quality between Klopp's team and Rodgers' team is massive.

I imagine it will them two going for the title next season too and maybe for a while to come. 

Edited by Fox92

Those of you trying to say that Man City are better than Liverpool if they had Sané and Laporte in the side this season must be high on coke. Just look at the table and see how many points Liverpool are ahead. They often don't seem to play well but they always do enough for the win. THAT is what has made them the outstanding team this season. The first game against us, this was exactly the case, however in the second game they put on the kind of masterclass that I have rarely seen. When they need to turn it on they can but otherwise they do enough to win. That makes them champions. 

Klopp has also proven to be the better manager.