Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

3 minutes ago, FIF said:

Those of you trying to say that Man City are better than Liverpool if they had Sané and Laporte in the side this season must be high on coke. Just look at the table and see how many points Liverpool are ahead. They often don't seem to play well but they always do enough for the win. THAT is what has made them the outstanding team this season. The first game against us, this was exactly the case, however in the second game they put on the kind of masterclass that I have rarely seen. When they need to turn it on they can but otherwise they do enough to win. That makes them champions. 

Klopp has also proven to be the better manager.

They’re amazing. I just don’t like them. X 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Credit to Klopp for making Liverpool so strong quite quickly. Sakho wasn't great for Palace yesterday and it wasn't that along ago he was lining up for Liverpool (and players like Mereno, Mignolet etc). Or maybe time flies but the difference in quality between Klopp's team and Rodgers' team is massive.

I imagine it will them two going for the title next season too and maybe for a while to come. 

Well he's been there since Oct 2015 so has had a massive amount of time in football manager terms to change the side and plenty of money, he's signed 33 players so they haven't all been great buys. The best thing they done is the money they've recouped even then they got £142m for Coutinho.

Liverpool have spent wisely and with Klopp at the helm to bring it all together as they remain on course for a record breaking season. In the four-and-a-half years he has been at Anfield, he has bought 33 players at a cost of £401million. Having recouped £327m, their net spend has been just £74m since October 2015. 

8 minutes ago, FIF said:

Those of you trying to say that Man City are better than Liverpool if they had Sané and Laporte in the side this season must be high on coke. Just look at the table and see how many points Liverpool are ahead. They often don't seem to play well but they always do enough for the win. THAT is what has made them the outstanding team this season. The first game against us, this was exactly the case, however in the second game they put on the kind of masterclass that I have rarely seen. When they need to turn it on they can but otherwise they do enough to win. That makes them champions. 

Klopp has also proven to be the better manager.

It's not simply the missing of Laporte however. Laporte being out then means Fernandinho is moved out of midfield to cover, so they lose the structure and strength provided by the two. Think of the games Man City have lost due to defensive mishaps, would that still be the same with their usual defensive structure? Not suggesting Liverpool don't win the league, but it would be significantly closer than it is now. 

Klopp has proven to be the better manager in this situation. The last time they managed teams in direct competition (3 years in the Bundesliga), Pep won the league 3 times and the cup twice. 

31 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

It's not simply the missing of Laporte however. Laporte being out then means Fernandinho is moved out of midfield to cover, so they lose the structure and strength provided by the two. Think of the games Man City have lost due to defensive mishaps, would that still be the same with their usual defensive structure? Not suggesting Liverpool don't win the league, but it would be significantly closer than it is now. 

Klopp has proven to be the better manager in this situation. The last time they managed teams in direct competition (3 years in the Bundesliga), Pep won the league 3 times and the cup twice. 

Managing Bayern is different to managing Dortmund though surely. Bayern are massive and, I imagine, target getting to at least the semi's of the Champions League every year. That's on top of winning the league. Dortmund have only really had two spells over the past 20 years when they've been really good - a couple seasons under Klopp and in the 90s when Paul Lambert and Paulo Sousa were there.

Liverpool have been much better than Man City this season, hence they're top of the league. That's why we have a table to discover who's good and who's bad. Just like when Man City got 100 points the other season.

Laporte has been a massive miss for Man City. For me, him and Van Dijk are the best centre backs in the division. But also look at Pep letting Kompany go and not replacing him. He went in to the season knowing his best centre back was Laporte with other options being an aging Otemendi, an average Stones and Fernandino. With all their resources you'd have thought they'd have spent on another good centre back.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Actually only 2 seasons in Bundesliga at the same time.  And that Bayern team was generational, absolutely the best Bayern team I have seen in my lifetime (and there’s been many great Bayern teams).  Dortmund could never compete with that on a low budget and inability to keep all their top players at the time. He did a phenomenal job with Dortmund with not much resources, amazing really, but no one could compete with that Bayern squad, it was unreal. 

Pep is a fantastic coach, Kloppo is just better ;) But I am biased of cousre.

Anyway, I newly registered to point out the ‘3 years in the Bundesliga’ comment was incorrect! Nice to be here though!

Good luck on your quest for CL, I enjoy the premier league, very happy to see Kloppo win it with Liverpool this season, but I will enjoy seeing Leicester City in CL ahead of one or two other teams for sure, so I wish you well for the rest of the way! 

Edited by ZeroFiver
  • Like 4

The Wolves and Man United results handed us what we deserved after that performance on Tuesday night; an invaluable 2 points chalked off our lead. I had a night off football last night, it was obvious what was going to happen - other teams stepping up when we had a winnable fixture and the opportunity to post 3 points before they even played. 

For me the Chelsea and Everton games are crucial. A win in the cup against a Top 4 rival will be a big boost to morale, especially as we have played very well against Chelsea twice this season in the league and drawn both games. It's also a nice distraction from our ropey league form of late. Everton away is 200% a must win game. With Wolves playing Aston Villa next, I see no way they're going to be any further than 3 points behind us come kick off and then we'll be really under pressure. Everton will come out and play, and we have the players to punish them for that. We've a good record at Goodison Park in recent years too. At the moment, I feel as though we're stuck in a bit of rut and struggling, whilst those around us are flying. But I also feel like if we could knick a win then we might well go on to win a few on the bounce ahead of the tough final 3 fixtures against top-4 opposition.

As others have said - Everton, Crystal Palace and Arsenal have little to play for now. They're safely in mid-table with an outside shot at Europe. We do have something to play for. The Champions League money will be invaluable to the club in the current climate and will determine the foundations for next season in terms of what we are able to do in the summer. I want to see a performance meriting the potential rewards that will bring the club. Every single one of our players is capable of doing it, they did all throughout the first half of the season!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ZeroFiver said:

Actually only 2 seasons in Bundesliga at the same time.  And that Bayern team was generational, absolutely the best Bayern team I have seen in my lifetime (and there’s been many great Bayern teams).  Dortmund could never compete with that on a low budget and inability to keep all their top players at the time. He did a phenomenal job with Dortmund with not much resources, amazing really, but no one could compete with that Bayern squad, it was unreal. 

Anyway, I newly registered to point out the ‘3 years in the Bundesliga’ comment was incorrect! Nice to be here though!

Good luck on your quest for CL, I enjoy the premier league, very happy to see Kloppo win it with Liverpool this season, but I will enjoy seeing Leicester City in CL ahead of one or two other teams for sure, so I wish you well for the rest of the way! 

Ah I must've misread the dates then! You're right in terms of that Bayern team, they were incredible.  

Always nice to have other team fans on the forum, we have a couple who contribute some great stuff. Find they offer a good insight and different opinions to us which is good. 

We're gonna need all the help we can get to sneak in the top 4 with how we've played lately!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ZeroFiver said:

yes welcome to the forum. Always good to get perspective from other teams

• Like 1

I’m a big fan of analytics but increasingly feel like they’re going to erode (some of) the joy out of the game. Liverpool are massive on analytics with their recruitment and coaching - they’re brilliant but they’re also almost entirely functional and efficient. They’re a bit robotic in a way and they’re almost impossible to stop, hopefully they don’t actually spend much next year and they pick up a few injuries, they lack depth so could really struggle if that’s the case.

• Like 1

I know they say you make your own luck, but Liverpool have had a lot go for them this season too. Mane must have won about 5 penalties that were very dubious. They'd still be miles ahead like, but they've had a few decisions go there way, which is crucial when it comes to winning the league.

I can see Man City splashing out again this summer, definitely be another 70m+ spent (aswell as money from sales being invested too)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I’m a big fan of analytics but increasingly feel like they’re going to erode (some of) the joy out of the game. Liverpool are massive on analytics with their recruitment and coaching - they’re brilliant but they’re also almost entirely functional and efficient. They’re a bit robotic in a way and they’re almost impossible to stop, hopefully they don’t actually spend much next year and they pick up a few injuries, they lack depth so could really struggle if that’s the case.

I actually find Liverpool to be the opposite of robotic. It’s Manchester city who I find really robotic, it was the same when Pep was at Bayern, he’s a fantastic coach obviously, but he takes spontaneity out of the game - and that is what he wants, he is absolutely obsessed with perfection to the point that every move is laid out. He coaches patterns, it’s why Manchester city are so famous for scoring one type of goal over and over! And this style of systematic coaching makes his teams boring to me a lot of the time.

But Liverpool still seem to have that edge of chaos about them, which has been a part of Jürgen Klopp’s coaching through his career.Sure, they are very well coached as teams have to be to win, but I don’t watch Liverpool and think that there is anything robotic there.

• Like 1

Seems to me that the strong sides are coming to the fore now all their players are fit and they don't have CL or Europa league football, except arsenal, and it's starting to show where we really are. We really need to up our game and fight for everything. 

11 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Seems to me that the strong sides are coming to the fore now all their players are fit and they don't have CL or Europa league football, except arsenal, and it's starting to show where we really are. We really need to up our game and fight for everything. 

We would be fine if we played how we did earlier in the season. By now we would have 4 extra points. The Watford and Brighton games were there for the taking. 

We are either playing scared or this is Brendan's long term tactics. I am concerned that the Celtic fans talked of slow ponderous football, which when you are by far the best side in Scotland you can get away with. If we play like this next year we will be worse than Bournemouth. 

We will probably lose our better players and without the Champions league struggle to attract much inbound quality. 

Edited by Foxin_Mad

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Managing Bayern is different to managing Dortmund though surely. Bayern are massive and, I imagine, target getting to at least the semi's of the Champions League every year. That's on top of winning the league. Dortmund have only really had two spells over the past 20 years when they've been really good - a couple seasons under Klopp and in the 90s when Paul Lambert and Paulo Sousa were there.

Liverpool have been much better than Man City this season, hence they're top of the league. That's why we have a table to discover who's good and who's bad. Just like when Man City got 100 points the other season.

Laporte has been a massive miss for Man City. For me, him and Van Dijk are the best centre backs in the division. But also look at Pep letting Kompany go and not replacing him. He went in to the season knowing his best centre back was Laporte with other options being an aging Otemendi, an average Stones and Fernandino. With all their resources you'd have thought they'd have spent on another good centre back.

I am a BvB supporter...its expected that Dortmund,will give their damnest to compete for those Top 3 places,und occasionally tip the scales to Take Top spot..

I like German football,but there is only One Team streaks above the rest...Love him or hate him The " Hoeness era" Made and deservedly  kept Bayern as the

Best Club in Germany,and One of the best in Europe, und devil who the coach might be....and like the Manutds & Liverpools fight for their clubs Football

ethic and spirit...

I know just as much about German football History , just has much as my own Countrys UK. English & Scottish roots and tradition. Including rivalary and the unfortunate Hates...

Probably its within all football fans make up...We learn or create our own dislikes & Hates of the Top teams,und Chase every Dark corner,to prove to ourselves What Bad guys they are...

I come from the Days of Leicester-coventry-Forest-Arsenal Rivalen & juvenile plastic hate...

Clough,Mercer,Wenger eras ,or me maturing put that all to the side..I just Enjoy football,but will still carry the rival  banter against Bayern & Arsenal..

I have no serious dislike towards Schalke,I wasnt born on the ruhrpott streets,though its for me still the biggest electrici derby-rivalary, that I probably Feel today.

Coventry has gone,Forest  just aint worth it...Derby Too far away. Wolves,A.V,WBA I have a Soft Spot for .Oh and Spurs..!!

Bayern I hate because i just do..but carry a massive respect..!!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Man City win the league with a better defence all season imo. Or at very least, the title race goes down to the last day. 

Despite Pep towing the party line, pretending he loves Rodri and Fernandinho has centre backs, they're dreadful defensively. 

I'm not convinced just Laporte is enough to make the difference though. It needs to be Laporte + one other if they want to close the gap next year. The rest of their squad is insanely good, they don't need to worry about the midfield or forwards. David Silva going is sad for them on sentimental grounds but they've basically replaced him already. 

Liverpool have maybe the best defence in the world at the moment. Man City need to be competing with that. Otamendi, Stones, Mendy, Zinchenko et all have no place being in a team trying to win a Premier League Champions League double. 

Fernandinho has been very, very good as a centre half.

Him and Laporte together have been fine.

Trouble is they're both injury prone and Fernandinho is no spring chicken. They've probably played less than 10 times together this season.

Otamendi is nowhere near good enough and never has been. I would have thought they would have been all over De Ligt. He'd have been perfect for them.

34 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

We would be fine if we played how we did earlier in the season. By now we would have 4 extra points. The Watford and Brighton games were there for the taking. 

We are either playing scared or this is Brendan's long term tactics. I am concerned that the Celtic fans talked of slow ponderous football, which when you are by far the best side in Scotland you can get away with. If we play like this next year we will be worse than Bournemouth. 

We will probably lose our better players and without the Champions league struggle to attract much inbound quality. 

A Celtic supporter I work with told me the same thing about Rodgers, no plan B and too slow to change things.

42 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I want Brendan here, of course I do, he's our best manager in 4 years, but I did worry about Celtic fans not talking of a plan B and also when Brendan was at Liverpool they had a great season before falling off (the Palace game where they surrounded a 3 goal lead comes to mind). We've had a good season but recent form / performances (minus the massive three month gap...) have been worrying.

I think we'll struggle at Everton but Palace is already a must win if we want to stay top 4. Hopefully Man City win tonight but Wolves are getting closer...

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

A Celtic supporter I work with told me the same thing about Rodgers, no plan B and too slow to change things.

And ex friends of yours,will tell all there is some life,career pattern...And I would reply the same..hogwash Mixed with Bullshit...I

This is absolute Bullshit and nonsense Plus very boring..all these immature Celtic/Liverpool comparisons....

People if you haven't noticed develope,evolve & unlike some dozos,in this forum and other areas actually L.E.A.R.N

God forgive us if we are all judged on  our First initial career performances....Some who Love to sit on the Jury on others,also Need to know the given wird's criteria....This forum has regulär proved it cant Pick either a player,Coach or manager, but one always lives in hope,in the First years,this forum used to balanced

Humble,and reasonably fair ( for football nerds). Now its talking towards spite and cynical at every turn,often on own created twaddle....

Mainly we cant asses using simple facts,like a new above our normal expectations manager,in his First year,delivering even above initial expectations,

With a Basic younger squad,Mixed with decent experience,& still missing decent cover,in some Key positions....To find avg cover,isnt that hard,but to  try and challenge,and hold consistent form & results,including high % of performances,The manager/c?if besides the normal Transfer-Business have to find those Type of Quality players,that gives us that high Kick extra, (who are Happy to forget the traditional Top clubs) and sign for us knowing,there is still someway to go..

I said Manutd with Ole,and SpursChelsea are not fading but re adjusting & Rebuilding,but NO!!! Many on near were so Deep in their Short sighted "Schadensfreude" which also blunted and blinded them towards what is still needed here,and how far despite our Good start ,we still need to go..!!

Our path cant be compared,with Man.City or Liverpools,even Wolves or Spurs last 3-6 years developement,we  are with Finances and resources,despite Great owners,still at a totally different level...

Yes we can expect some balanced critic,when form & actual performances drop,but far too far OTT,and rarely backed by encouragement & support,just pure distrust,cynicism & significant Lack of support,for their own clubs players and manager...

The booing in These last 2 seasons Shows how pathetic & Low our support plus fan character has dropped...

and Yes out younger players will Mark that up..!

Just like we normal folk do,when we Feel belief & support is missing in our careers or social life....!!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I want Brendan here, of course I do, he's our best manager in 4 years, but I did worry about Celtic fans not talking of a plan B and also when Brendan was at Liverpool they had a great season before falling off (the Palace game where they surrounded a 3 goal lead comes to mind). We've had a good season but recent form / performances (minus the massive three month gap...) have been worrying.

I think we'll struggle at Everton but Palace is already a must win if we want to stay top 4. Hopefully Man City win tonight but Wolves are getting closer...

Im not sure these things necessarily are down to the manager. It wasnt exactly his tactics that let them down on that day, just individuals. 

But I agree with everything else. He doesnt seem to change the style, tempo or shape very often.  But at the same time, in terms of sub impact.. he has the highest results in the league so lets not be too harsh. 

Our squad lacks the depth for a complete style change, not having a big man to change the defensive focus is our main issue imo. I think someone like Leo(not curent) would have made a huge impact for us when our game plan wasnt working. 

Have to give some credit to Southampton.

After demolishing them at their place some months ago, who would've thought the same manager would still be there now still and are in a healthy position.

I think we are spoilt with having 2 of the best teams in English football history currently competing but no way can you say Man City are a better team than Liverpool.

Imagine how livid we’d be if supporters of other clubs were saying Southampton were a better team than us in 15/16 and they ‘only’ finished 18 points behind us. Liverpool are currently 23 points ahead of Man City and the reigning European champions!

People might prefer how Man City play and that’s fine but that’s doesn’t make them a a better team.

Liverpool at home for us this season was a mauling. They’re strong, quick and ruthless. It’s not always tika taka but they win games and that is what football is about 

• Like 1

Just now, DanNDH88 said:

As I’m colourblind, Norwich Everton is completely unwatchable for me as Everton have decided to wear their away kit for absolutely no reason. Can’t they play in blue ffs? 

Watching the highlights I mean..