Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

20 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Which one exactly would we be talking about after today?

Do you think seriously anyone would be complaining about Man City’s goal not being disallowed?

What big decisions would have been missed today?

Well with the new rule that we benefitted from last week people should probably be complaining. I don't know much of what happened in todays games but yet again, i'm not just speaking of todays football, it would be over the course of the season. Virtually every game last season you'll have a manager complaining about atleast one thing the ref didn't do for his team

3 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

In my dream team, league dependant. The one that counts not as good as I would like lol how about you? 

I think that sort of accusation could be met with a permanent ban for the accuser lol 

yes, can’t wait for the return of Nate. Also hope Stipe wins by brutal KO 

Less than average tbh. In FPL In have 32 points at the moment.

Stipe has to finish him in the first 2 rounds because DC is very tough. And also, Yoel is also fighting 😁

58 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Human error wasn’t the problem for me ...    I’ve played football most of my life and that was never an issue ...   the problem for me is blatant cheating ...    if VAR stops that and penalises those cheating cvnts then brilliant !    The game has improved..

I don't have a problem with VAR unless they start using it to add additional ad revenue to the game and for every damn call.

Funny and strange that when I played other sports in my youth there was always a sense of honor and doing the right thing (not cheating or taking advantage of the rules}.

Interesting how it mirrors the most important aspects of being human.

Seems like an unpopular opinion but I like VAR. But I want the rule to change and to put a restriction on it of 3 challenges per game for both teams  (as an option where the manager can use it review a previous action).

A team isn't allowed to use VAR for more than 3 times which will make it another tactical tool to use (I imagine many would use their challenges to give their team a break,  take a breather and regroup). 

Edited by the fox

All I'm hanging on to is that VAR is the same for all teams. Man City probably wouldn't have won the PL last season or Cardiff City got relegated had VAR been in operation. It will, if nothing else, go some way in evening out the 'big' club bias and 'homer' referees that has plagued football for decades. 

• Like 2

Not sure that the VAR lines that go up the screen are even a straight line itself at times..

Technology is becoming too fast in today's world, and football could be a victim of it.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

50 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

This for me isn’t what footballs about,

Discussions about the actual football died when wall to wall tv and the internet replaced post match analysis down the pub baesed on what you remembered from the game. Now it’s all about the refs, managers, footballer and fan behaviour and next to nothing about the goals often because they’ve been or will be replayed to death.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

Discussions about the actual football died when wall to wall tv and the internet replaced post match analysis down the pub baesed on what you remembered from the game. Now it’s all about the refs, managers, footballer and fan behaviour and next to nothing about the goals often because they’ve been or will be replayed to death.

Sad but true

2 hours ago, spacemunky said:

To me that was a good goal by Jesus. There was no intent to play it to him illegally by Laporte. To stop it and slow it down and analyze every goal for any reason is just too much IMO.

But if it was against Leicester....You would be telling the ref to go to specsavers....and he should be taking himself in the hand....Gu

Easy to complain und take sides....no matter which side of the street one stands....We Live in the technical world....it seems the chips are starting to mount on peoples shoulders....

Greatgrandads didnt use to like Rock n roll,!!!! But secretly listened to jazz, unknown to their parents....

VAR is jazzy,but needs to get up to Rock n roll,and swing into some twist n shout..!! 

While the dancing public und media needs to find their rythme,

for something they have been screaming out und over for  years . Free VAR and liberation,and ref emancipation...!!:yahoo:

Edited by fuchsntf

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

I have to say I was a fan of how VAR was implemented during the World Cup but so far it hasn't worked well in the premier League. The PL is fast paced and exciting and this just doesn't fit in. Also how did Man City not get a penalty?

That's what I found strange about VAR. The final goal was rightfully overturned,  but by the very same token why wasn't Man City given a pen in the 1st half, when Lamela had a player in a headlock from a corner. If I was a Man City supporter I'd be p*ssed off, not because of the final goal decision, but because of the double standards the VAR officials showed. 

• Like 2

VAR is never going to be a magic fix. It is just another referee looking at a video several times. A clear and obvious error to us might be different to theirs.

It was always going to bring talking points because it is still a subjective thing. Although now we have a definitive thing causing annoyance.

I'd get rid of it at the end of the season. I didn't want it but you can't get rid mid-season. Bin this off and accept crap decisions by humans.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, sm1 said:

That's what I found strange about VAR. The final goal was rightfully overturned,  but by the very same token why wasn't Man City given a pen in the 1st half, when Lamela had a player in a headlock from a corner. If I was a Man City supporter I'd be p*ssed off, not because of the final goal decision, but because of the double standards the VAR officials showed. 

The judgement probably that Rodrigo may have initiated the contact between them and therefore did oliver’s decision not to award a pen amount to a ‘clear and obvious error?

The handball was a matter of fact and therefore, like offside, not debatable -simply corrected by the VAR official 

Edited by st albans fox

Why not just celebrate every goal as if it counts and go from there? Obviously there are instances when you know for a fact it'll get overturned - Jota being allowed to run in on goal when he was clearly a mile off for instance - but you just apply common sense in that situation.

If a goal gets chalked off, feel the dejection, accept the correct decision and move on. Honestly understand where people are coming from but people are acting almost as if they're scared to celebrate goals now just in case it gets scrubbed. The vast majority of goals will still be valid, there have just been a couple of freak instances in these first few games - and the goals were correctly disallowed.

I hate sanitisation of the game but I think people are making it out to be far worse than it is so far. And if it stops clubs regularly getting robbed by shite refs then crack on. 

Early days, but I'm still pro VAR as it stands 

I'm all for VAR but think you have to separate the things we can do comfortably without adversely affecting the flow of the game or the spectacle, from those which we can't. Working on the principle that we're never going to achieve absolute perfection, and that human error will always play some part in the game, we have to know where to draw lines.

The use of technology for goal-line decisions (which could easily be expanded to bylines), and of VAR for red cards and penalties is excellent and only adds to the quality of the game. Of course, it isn't in all cases perfect, especially when you include subjective terms like 'clear and obvious', but it broadly works. However the goal-checking is deeply divisive. I appreciate that change takes some getting used to, but I'm not sure a 30-60 second delay before you know whether a goal is a goal is ever going to be a great idea.

There are some easy changes they could make to fix these problems. Firstly, scrap the 'clear and obvious' terminology, because I can't see how that last minute decision was clear and obvious in the Man City game, but the manhandling in the box wasn't. So you have to make the VAR ref, who has access to superior information, the superior ref, with the power to overrule the match-day referee. They make the call on incidents that the referee has missed, and they take the responsibility for those decisions.

Secondly, limit VAR to penalties, cards, and to goals where the referee or linesman believe there may have been an incident, and so instead of pointing to the centre circle, they make the VAR signal. If they don't call for a review, which they should be encouraged not to for the vast bulk of goals, then it's a goal, regardless of whichever niggles VAR may have picked up on, or even off-sides. If the linesman thinks it's marginal, he'll ask for the review. If he doesn't and it's wrong, tough luck.

And don't get me started on that handball rule. There will be a lot more headlines this season unless they either change it, or limit the use of VAR.

• Like 1

Wow, didn't realise until they just mentioned it on motd, that a goal can be disallowed for any kind of handball, accidental or not, but a penalty won't always be given. That's ridiculous. Laporte and whoever was marking him, I forget, both make the same movement towards the ball, but only one will be punished if it accidentally hits his arm. Madness.

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

People were writing off but tbh you don’t score that many in the second division and just get next to nothing in the PL.

They seem set up to get the best out of him, like we did with Vardy.

If players just didnt cheat and refs made good calls we wouldnt need VAR. I do think players make it harder for refs to make right calls though.

Feigning injury should also be a big ban (5 to 10 games) and fined 10+% of their salary and more for each subsequent act.  If you are that injured then off you go for a min of 5 minutes (with no subs allowed). Once you add consequence to a pay cheque people change their tunes. If you allow players to think they can get away with it then they will continue to do it.

Not saying the above will work or are good ideas but if we dont go the VAR route then something else is needed because  cheating is too prevalent in todays footy.

Edited by Jattdogg

Joelinton's confidence won't be good after his more-easy-to-score-than-miss-the-target header opportunity..

You'd think that Pukki was the £40m signing on the pitch today, not him.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

45 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

There are some easy changes they could make to fix these problems. Firstly, scrap the 'clear and obvious' terminology, because I can't see how that last minute decision was clear and obvious in the Man City game, but the manhandling in the box wasn't. So you have to make the VAR ref, who has access to superior information, the superior ref, with the power to overrule the match-day referee. They make the call on incidents that the referee has missed, and they take the responsibility for those decisions.

Secondly, limit VAR to penalties, cards, and to goals where the referee or linesman believe there may have been an incident, and so instead of pointing to the centre circle, they make the VAR signal. If they don't call for a review, which they should be encouraged not to for the vast bulk of goals, then it's a goal, regardless of whichever niggles VAR may have picked up on, or even off-sides. If the linesman thinks it's marginal, he'll ask for the review. If he doesn't and it's wrong, tough luck.

I was with you until the second paragraph. Making var the superior ref makes sense if it is ever going to work in terms of correcting mistakes made by a few people watching the action once in real time. This is the case for rugby and cricket, two sports where video replays work well in my opinion. If there's a dubious try in rugby they immediately signal for video assistance, and in cricket they give a 'soft' signal of out to indicate it is subject to video review. But then you advocate for a situation where the lino may have missed an offside call but the goal stands if they don't ask for a review. This is precisely the situation in which we need var to be superior and overrule the on field decision, no?