Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Enjoy this on a Wednesday evening. 2005/06 Premier League.

Some old names I had forgotten. Morten Gamst Pedersen, Luke Moore, Nigel  Reo Coker, Harry Kewell etc. Some decent goals as well. 

21 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Surely there is no way?

Who remembers that 6-1 vs Pompey on Sky? That was under Sousa wasn't it?

Yep was there that night on a wet Friday night in September as I can remember, totally battered on the day. Was depressing at the time to think only a few months before we were in a championship play off semi final penalty shootout to sitting rock bottom of the championship. Glad the Sousa reign was short and sweet, never could see why he got the job in the first place, he didn't really set the world alight at Swansea anyway.

Since departing Leicester though he's seems to got on alright in europe but I dunno maybe his playing and coaching style isn't suited to the English style. Arsenal are doomed.  

Edited by Leicesterpool

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Enjoy this on a Wednesday evening. 2005/06 Premier League.

Some old names I had forgotten. Morten Gamst Pedersen, Luke Moore, Nigel  Reo Coker, Harry Kewell etc. Some decent goals as well. 

19 minutes worth of fantastic goals. What a year that was for the PL.

Cahill's goal was ridiculous. Never seen a defender get up so high to volley.

9 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I dont even think it's that delusional, Carlo's finished at top level, would be very similar to Rafa going Newcastle 

My non Leicester related wish for this season is that Everton get flushed down to the championship - this could help that along 

7 hours ago, surrifox said:

My non Leicester related wish for this season is that Everton get flushed down to the championship - this could help that along 

My non-Leicester wish is that arsenal fails to stabilise, and ends up in real concerns about relegation, rather than it just being doomsaying... i doubt that they’d actually relegate, so i’m keeping it realistic

Edited by Sianist

2 hours ago, Paddy. said:

That would be a great signing. I was hoping we might be in for him. £7.25m is great business....unless you're Red Bull Salzburg.

Hwang has looked decent in the few CL games I've seen him in as well. Could be worth a look at.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Poznan34 said:

How's that for value

7.5 my butt. Remember hearing the prices in the teens when we were negotiating for Perez with Newcastle. Look how that ended up.

Red Bull have to be morons and they're not. He'll be sold in the mid 20s by the time its done.

18 minutes ago, SO1 said:

7.5 my butt. Remember hearing the prices in the teens when we were negotiating for Perez with Newcastle. Look how that ended up.

Red Bull have to be morons and they're not. He'll be sold in the mid 20s by the time its done.

Erm, it's a release clause of £7.5 million – I can't see anyone bidding more just for a laugh.

43 minutes ago, Langston said:

Erm, it's a release clause of £7.5 million – I can't see anyone bidding more just for a laugh.

You don't think anyone will bid higher?

I remember Arsenal finding out about Luis Suarez's release clause. Arsenal bid 40 mil plus 1 p.

Liverpool owner John Henry's famous quote was "what are they smoking over there at Arsenal" the rest is history as Suarez went to Barcelona the next summer 60/70+mil.

Seems like contract law is negotiable in this instance. @PegguyArphexad might have some knowledge about contracts :)

10 minutes ago, SO1 said:

You don't think anyone will bid higher?

I remember Arsenal finding out about Luis Suarez's release clause. Arsenal bid 40 mil plus 1 p.

Liverpool owner John Henry's famous quote was "what are they smoking over there at Arsenal" the rest is history as Suarez went to Barcelona the next summer 60/70+mil.

Seems like contract law is negotiable in this instance. @PegguyArphexad might have some knowledge about contracts :)

That wasn't a release clause, though. The clause in Suarez's contract was that should anybody bid *higher* than £40 million - they had to inform the player of said club's interest. 

Edited by Langston
Spelling error.
  • Like 1

Guest Markyblue
3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If you trigger a player's release clause he's gone. 

You think if not, we'd have sold Ngolo Kante when we did and for how little? 

Did vardy have a release clause that arsenal activated.?

21 minutes ago, PlasticFantastic said:

If the release clause is a lot lower that the players actual value, then there may well be a bidding war, resulting in the player being sold for much more that the release clause value

There wouldn't be a bidding war over the transfer fee. There's no point. The selling club has to accept any bid equal to the release clause, so bidding a penny over that is pointless. The interested clubs would be competing with each other on the offered wages and signing on fee.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If you trigger a player's release clause he's gone. 

You think if not, we'd have sold Ngolo Kante when we did and for how little? 

Usually, he's gone.

The selling club can offer the player an improved contract without the release clause, or a bigger one. Alternatively, the player might just not want to leave.