Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

1 minute ago, les-tah said:

5th for Everton is very ambitious... I can’t really place them.. they do the same thing every year and try buy big individuals instead of buying young players and nurturing them more of what we try.

Yeah, once Everton started bringing people in my first thought was that they're going to be mightily impressive this season, but then on reflection I'm not nearly as worried as I might've been. Every single year they spend decent amounts on new players, and every single year the majority fail to live up to expectation and disappear shortly after. Just in the last few years they've brought in the likes of Tosun, Klaassen, Sandro, Walcott, Cuco Martina, Bolasie, Schneiderlin - and none of them have really made an impact.

They've also lost their defensive core (Gueye/Zouma) and haven't really replaced them (they've brought in Gbamin(?) and Delph) so I can see them being a bit leakier than usual. Up front Kean has potential but is a risk that could go awry, and they don't have many other consistently reliable options. I don't really rate Marco Silva either, to be honest.

They may surprise and do well (their early fixtures certainly give them a good opportunity to start strongly), but there's a lot of question marks over them, for me. 8th-11th imo.

48 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Based on what? 

The things he got his team to do at RB Leipzig, the way they played. The fact that he got an absolutely awful Southampton to turn things around in a big way. His tactical adaptability, his unique style, his man management. The fact that he got Redmond, Ward-Prowse and others to actually finally start to fulfil their potential. I really rate him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xen said:

Yeah, once Everton started bringing people in my first thought was that they're going to be mightily impressive this season, but then on reflection I'm not nearly as worried as I might've been. Every single year they spend decent amounts on new players, and every single year the majority fail to live up to expectation and disappear shortly after. Just in the last few years they've brought in the likes of Tosun, Klaassen, Sandro, Walcott, Cuco Martina, Bolasie, Schneiderlin - and none of them have really made an impact.

They've also lost their defensive core (Gueye/Zouma) and haven't really replaced them (they've brought in Gbamin(?) and Delph) so I can see them being a bit leakier than usual. Up front Kean has potential but is a risk that could go awry, and they don't have many other consistently reliable options. I don't really rate Marco Silva either, to be honest.

They may surprise and do well (their early fixtures certainly give them a good opportunity to start strongly), but there's a lot of question marks over them, for me. 8th-11th imo.

I agree it's the one prediction I am not overly confident on but if it does click, their frontline could be scoring tons of goals. 

Everton finishing 5th? You really think this team

Richarlison Kean Iwobi

Sigurdsson Gbamin Gomes

Digne Keane Mina Coleman

Pickford

will finish 3 places above this team?

Pulisic Abraham Hudson-Odoi

Barkley Kante Jorginho

Emerson Rudiger Zouma Azpilicueta

Kepa

Kante, Jorginho, Rüdiger, and Kepa are still all much better than anything Everton have.

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I agree it's the one prediction I am not overly confident on but if it does click, their frontline could be scoring tons of goals. 

I think that they could do really well, but they also have the potential for disaster. There's far too many ifs and buts for me to personally even rate them as finishing above us right now. What if Mina gets injured again, for example? Their 3rd choice defender is Holgate. They haven't strengthened enough in this window for me to rate as serious challengers to the status quo

16 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Everton finishing 5th? You really think this team

Richarlison Kean Iwobi

Sigurdsson Gbamin Gomes

Digne Keane Mina Coleman

Pickford

will finish 3 places above this team?

Pulisic Abraham Hudson-Odoi

Barkley Kante Jorginho

Emerson Rudiger Zouma Azpilicueta

Kepa

Kante, Jorginho, Rüdiger, and Kepa are still all much better than anything Everton have.

Yeah I am struggling to see where that Chelsea team scores goals. 

Richarlison far more proven than Pulisic in PL. 

Kean has led the line for a top European club whereas Abraham done it for Swansea/Villa. 

Hudson-Odoi yet to perform in the PL - question mark on him, equally as much Iwobi. 

Sigurdsson/Barkley probably about level - Sigurdsson's set pieces worth a truck load. 

Digne over Emerson all day long. 

Coleman likely to give into Sidibe as the season progress, Azpa legs gone. 

Jorginho was average last season. Gomes mildly impressive. 

Everton have no European football - Chelsea do, equally Man U with a short squad depth have the same issue. 

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yeah I am struggling to see where that Chelsea team scores goals. 

Richarlison far more proven than Pulisic in PL. 

Kean has led the line for a top European club whereas Abraham done it for Swansea/Villa. 

Hudson-Odoi yet to perform in the PL - question mark on him, equally as much Iwobi. 

Sigurdsson/Barkley probably about level - Sigurdsson's set pieces worth a truck load. 

Digne over Emerson all day long. 

Coleman likely to give into Sidibe as the season progress, Azpa legs gone. 

Jorginho was average last season. Gomes mildly impressive. 

Everton have no European football - Chelsea do, equally Man U with a short squad depth have the same issue. 

Having watched Kean a couple of times last year, I recognise his huge talent and potential, but right now his overall game is very raw. He can finish quite well in the box, but a lot of the other aspects of his game (hold up, linking with the other players, etc) leave to be desired. That is not to say he will not succeed at Everton - I think he ultimately will - but he is still 19 and I don't think should be relied on to lead their line. Richarlison is also definitely the best player in either attack, but he is stunted when forced to play at right wing, and Iwobi is currently a left winger (so is the other option, Bernard) so I think we could see his potential limited this season unless Iwobi can adapt to the right. Sigurdsson is also certainly better than Barkley, had a great season last year. I think the 18 year old Hudson-Odoi has a lot more room for performance than the 23 year old Iwobi personally, but it's a valid opinion to see them as having similar potential for the season to come and I won't try to dissuade you there.

On the right backs, I have to disagree with you. Sidibe has been awful for a while, and has basically been brought in to Everton as a Dragovic-type loan to provide backup and depth as they let Jonjoe Kenny go on loan to Schalke for a season. Coleman doesn't have much to worry about in my opinion, despite his age. And on Azpilicueta, He is still very, very solid defensively and although his attacking impact has reduced a lot, I don't think it's fair to say his legs are gone.

The point of contention I think is the greatest between us, however, must be Jorginho vs Gomes. Gomes' mentality is awful, and lead to some serious inconsistency for Everton last year. A solid transfer for 22 million but he is a bit of a luxury player - not quite a CDM or B2B. Jorginho, on the other hand, has a great mentality, never let the immense abuse he suffered from his fans and the media get to him. Whilst he suffered last year from the team trying to adapt to Sarri's tactics, you can see from his best games last year that he is absolutely world class and I think if he plays in more of a midfield two with Kante we could see some serious performances from him. 

Lastly, Chelsea have a lot of depth similar to their starter's quality and especially a lot of youth that will essentially nullify the strain of European football on them. An injury to Jorginho or Zouma sees a quality player like Bakayoko (who was incredible for Milan last season, potentially their best player of the season before he fell out with Gattuso towards the end) or Christensen step in, whereas at Everton Mina is replaced by Holgate, Gbamin by Schneiderlin, Richarlison by Walcott. 

Chelsea will probably struggle for goals, sure, but with a spine of Rudiger, Kante, and Jorginho, we won't see them concede nearly as many goals as Everton, who like to push up their fullbacks - leaving the glacial pairing of Keane and Mina isolated in a high line is a recipe for disaster along the lines of  Morgan and Evans vs Wolves last season. 

I won't disagree however that Digne is a mile and a half ahead of Emerson. 

38 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

All I want is to witness a centre back pairing of Luiz and Mustafi. Please. If they start against us, that's even better.

Well, following my transfer recommendation a few weeks ago, I'd love to see Luiz and Mustafi empower each other on the pitch and having a blast of a season! :whistle:

Just not against us.

One of the biggest points of criticism with Arsenal last season were their fullbacks, Bellerin and Lichtsteiner in particular, plus Xhaka, leaving their centre-backs exposed.

Edited by MC Prussian

That United shirt burning video reminds me of when there was that footage of Cov fans burning a City shirt in the late noughties filmed on a phone I can only assume was smeared in butter, and someone repeatedly shouted WE ATE LESTYAAHHHHH

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

Well, following my transfer recommendation a few weeks ago, I'd love to see Luiz and Mustafi empower each other on the pitch and having a blast of a season! :whistle:

Just not against us.

One of the biggest points of criticism with Arsenal last season were their fullbacks, Bellerin and Lichtsteiner in particular, plus Xhaka, leaving their centre-backs exposed.

I can already see Kolasinac and Maitland-Niles bombing down the wings, leaving the juicy, vulnerable pairing of Luiz and Mustafi exposed... If I were a Spurs fan I'd be very happy about the NLD coming up.

4 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I can already see Kolasinac and Maitland-Niles bombing down the wings, leaving the juicy, vulnerable pairing of Luiz and Mustafi exposed... If I were a Spurs fan I'd be very happy about the NLD coming up.

I imagine they'll play three at the back. When all fit, Mustafi won't be one of the three. I'd think they'll start with Sokratis, Luiz and Holding.

• Like 1

I can't see Abraham getting that many games for Chelsea personally. I reckon Batshuayi or Giroud will be first choice and Lampard will play a 4-2-3-1. 

Don't be surprised to see Tomori partner Zouma/Christensen at CB either. He was Derby's POTS under Lampard. 

Kepa 

Azpilicueta - Tomori - Zouma - Emerson

Kante - Jorginho 

Pedro  -  Barkley  -  Pulisic 

Giroud 

Edited by The Bear

30 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I can't see Abraham getting that many games for Chelsea personally. I reckon Batshuayi or Giroud will be first choice and Lampard will play a 4-2-3-1. 

Don't be surprised to see Tomori partner Zouma/Christensen at CB either. He was Derby's POTS under Lampard. 

Kepa 

Azpilicueta - Tomori - Zouma - Emerson

Kante - Jorginho 

Pedro  -  Barkley  -  Pulisic 

Giroud 

Don't want to jinx things but I would seriously take our first XI over that team. Apart from Kanté and possibly Zouma, who is not that great anyway, and Pulisic, who is unproven in the PL, would of them get in our first choice XI?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Don't want to jinx things but I would seriously take our first XI over that team. Apart from Kanté and possibly Zouma, who is not that great anyway, and Pulisic, who is unproven in the PL, would of them get in our first choice XI?  

Pereira Chilwell Evans Tielemans Maddison and Vardy would all get into their team comfortably imo. Others like Perez and Ndidi aren't far off either. 

39 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Villa have basically signed an entire new team and they're all pretty average players (at least the ones I'm familiar with are).  They're fvcked, aren't they?

If Wesley doesn't score them many goals, yes.