Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Haywood_6

Playoff's

Just now, Finnegan said:

Nope. 

They have the biggest history in the Midlands but Wolves and ourselves out perform them in every relevant metric. 

I've never bought in to this idea of historic clubs being "big" by default. The size of a club in the 21st century is basically just your capacity to recruit and have a quality team. 

Hoffenheim and Villareal are basically literally pub teams, they're tiny villages with about ten fans. But if they're playing European football with teams packed full of internationals then they're a lot bigger than some "sleeping giant" in the lower leagues. 

Whether the Germans like it or not, RBL are now comfortably the third biggest team in Germany, Man City are the biggest club in England and PSG are the biggest club in France - all of whom were nothing 20 years ago. 

Cba to argue really but we’re currently better obviously. 3 out of 130+ plus years don’t make us the bigger club. 

Agreed we’re more attractive currently to players and we’re more upwardly mobile but Villa have a bigger ground, a better history and a larger fanbase. Club size is a nebulous concept muddied by finance and current position these days but a more attractive club isn’t a bigger one 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danizen said:

Derby please. 

Villa are absolute cvnts.

Derby are so irrelevant and inoffensive and the 'rivalry' between us has never really existed. 

You see, I'm perfectly comfortable with admitting it's not the most mental rivalry in the world, or even the biggest derby in the East Midlands or for us, but to say it doesn't exist full stop is ludicrous.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Really hope it's Derby.

Villa have a Midlands superiority complex which requires a couple of decaces in the lower divisions to correct. The Rams are a team that we can have a rivalry with.

Plus the days when we stood in the kop and all that could be heard was "Baaaa" "Baaaaa" are great memories which need to be re-ignited.

p.s. (Why the 's?)

Doesn't seem to have worked with Forest... 

I'm not bothered if it's Villa or Derby who come up.

However, I'm just happy another midland club will be promoted. Far too many lovie London clubs in the P/L for me, and it's got to be a good thing for midlands football to have several well supported clubs in the P/L. Plus it's great to have more local derby matches.

Happy that Cardiff and Fulham have gone, but would have much preferred Spuds (oh how I wish) or Palace instead of Huddersfield.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Nope. 

They have the biggest history in the Midlands but Wolves and ourselves out perform them in every relevant metric. 

I've never bought in to this idea of historic clubs being "big" by default. The size of a club in the 21st century is basically just your capacity to recruit and have a quality team. 

Hoffenheim and Villareal are basically literally pub teams, they're tiny villages with about ten fans. But if they're playing European football with teams packed full of internationals then they're a lot bigger than some "sleeping giant" in the lower leagues. 

Whether the Germans like it or not, RBL are now comfortably the third biggest team in Germany, Man City are the biggest club in England and PSG are the biggest club in France - all of whom were nothing 20 years ago. 

Totally agree. I'm ****ing bored clubs who won stuff in the 1920s giving it large and calling everyone else tinpot, when they've done nothing for 30-50 years. This is why I want to see the likes of Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday remain in the lower leagues for much longer  20 years in the lower divisions have obviously not humbled them (Weds), Maybe another 20 will. 

Bournemouth and Watford have Internationals and players going for £30-50m. Far more attractive and relevant than playing at Hillsborough against Rotherham in front of 20k fans, with sub standard footballers.

Edited by Koke

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

tiny villages with about ten fans. But if they're playing

As David Pleat used to say: it's all about chimney-pots.

In other words, the local population counts. The number of people who hold the club dear.

If you judge a club's size merely on achievements  - either current or historical - you end up with anomalies like Huddersfield Town being regarded as a bigger club than say Sunderland, when clearly they're not. Are Luton bigger than Cov? Wouldn't say so.

Chimney pots have it...

8 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Agreed. If these ‘historical’ clubs like Villa, Forest, Newcastle etc all had the same transfer budgets as we do, I wonder where the players would still go... they’d come to us of course.

Ourselves and Wolves are hands down the biggest clubs in the midlands right now, maybe not 5 years ago and maybe not in 5 years, but right now, we are

You're conflating success with size. They're different things. As my first girlfriend used to say; 'It's not what you do with it, it's how big it is that matters!'

1 hour ago, Stoopid said:

You're conflating success with size. They're different things. As my first girlfriend used to say; 'It's not what you do with it, it's how big it is that matters!'

You're first girlfriend you say?

So why did you split up?    :P

giphy.gif

Edited by murphy

3 hours ago, Koke said:

Totally agree. I'm ****ing bored clubs who won stuff in the 1920s giving it large and calling everyone else tinpot, when they've done nothing for 30-50 years. This is why I want to see the likes of Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday remain in the lower leagues for much longer  20 years in the lower divisions have obviously not humbled them (Weds), Maybe another 20 will. 

Bournemouth and Watford have Internationals and players going for £30-50m. Far more attractive and relevant than playing at Hillsborough against Rotherham in front of 20k fans, with sub standard footballers.

I'm with you in terms of no club having a god given right to be in the top flight, but I'd still rather have clubs like Villa, Leeds and even Forest in the top flight instead of the likes of Bournemouth for the simple reason that it would be better in terms of away trips and atmosphere. 

Edited by BenTheFox

The apostrophe when signalling ownership:

Aston Villa's horrible players

The apostrophe when signalling something belongs to something:

Aston Villa's despair at losing to Derby in the last minute

No apostrophe when singalling multiple things:

The tears from sad Aston Villa fans

Edit: :ph34r:

Edited by Foxxed

Always cringe when any of our fans describe a team as a certain 6 points.

I'd love to see how many times we actually take 6 points off anyone when we say that.

Forest have and will always be our main rivals but the Premier League era rivalry with Derby was actually quite fierce. Was alot less so in the Championship. 

The idea of calling a thread "The Premier League East Midlands Derby" next season will be a nice consolation for having to see them go up though :)

• Like 1

Growing up I always hated Derby, always saw them as our biggest rivals. Think it's because we were pretty level in the early 90s and everyone in Burton supported them. I've lost the hate over the last ten years or so but it would be nice to spark up the rivalry again. There's not enough mindless hate in my life. Bring up the rams so we can silence them again. X 

Edited by RumbleFox

13 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Growing up I always hated Derby, always saw them as our biggest rivals. Think it's because we were pretty level in the early 90s and everyone in Burton supported them. I've lost the hate over the last ten years or so but it would be nice to spark up the rivalry again. There's not enough mindless hate in my life. Bring up the rams so we can silence them again. X 

You lived in Burton?

My deepest sympathies 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Two great away days so I'm not really bothered but if I had to choose it'd be Villa. Villa Park is one of my favourite grounds, absolutely immense.