Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NasPb

Ferran Torres

I get the mixed reaction to Torres.  A lot of fans want us to make a Man City or Liverpool type-signing - somebody like Ziyech or Malcolm.  Torres would be more of an Ajax signing.  The kid is super talented and has a chance to blossom into one of the better wingers in the PL (and he is a true winger), but he may not get there for a couple of seasons.  And with a seemingly rare opportunity for a top 6 (or even top 4) finish out there this season, fans want a signing who's ready to be a game-changer now, not a guy who might grow into one.

Realistically, Torres would be a move that's consistent with the type of approach we're going to need to take going forward.  We have a great young squad with a lot of ambition, but we're not a "big club".  Maybe being realistic about that isn't a bad thing. 

• Like 3

Fits with our long term transfer strategy if not break the top six next year strategy.

Ferran, Gray, Albrighton, Barnes and Perez. A fair few options there. I can imagine Gray requestimg a transfer. He'd be a good buy if someone can replicate his u21 England performances.

Edited by Foxxed

3 hours ago, Collymore said:

Wait... What? Sorry, can you explain what this post means? Why didn't you want to post because it was "a lad from Valencia"? 

Loads of people repping you so people understand it but casting eyes on this post for the first time I'm utterly confused! 

So the text I got was "a lad from Valencia" now without saying any more the said person believes we have someone from them ready to sign like the Ayoze deal. 

Now unless weve gone under the radar again and it's someone else I believe it most likely to be Torres however he didnt have a name for me when he text. Hence me not wanting to post until we could get it 100% confirmed. Let's just see if anything comes of it over the next few days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

People need to relax. We’ve had a bit of info from what has been a reliable source. Take it for what it is. If it happens fair play, if not so be it. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mehrez said:

Scored for Spain u19s yesterday, isn’t him being in the tournament going to make this difficult in terms of doing a medical/signing? 

Not really - a deal can be agreed subject to the medical which happens when the tournament is finished. 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

You saying we have agreed a price already? over the moon if this happens.

Absolutely not saying anything !    Just answering mehrez’s query ........  I changed my wording as was poorly written !

Edited by st albans fox
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

So the text I got was "a lad from Valencia" now without saying any more the said person believes we have someone from them ready to sign like the Ayoze deal. 

Now unless weve gone under the radar again and it's someone else I believe it most likely to be Torres however he didnt have a name for me when he text. Hence me not wanting to post until we could get it 100% confirmed. Let's just see if anything comes of it over the next few days. 

The text could also just mean somebody who was BORN in Valencia but is playing for someone else...

Start Googling people. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I get the mixed reaction to Torres.  A lot of fans want us to make a Man City or Liverpool type-signing - somebody like Ziyech or Malcolm.  Torres would be more of an Ajax signing.  The kid is super talented and has a chance to blossom into one of the better wingers in the PL (and he is a true winger), but he may not get there for a couple of seasons.  And with a seemingly rare opportunity for a top 6 (or even top 4) finish out there this season, fans want a signing who's ready to be a game-changer now, not a guy who might grow into one.

Realistically, Torres would be a move that's consistent with the type of approach we're going to need to take going forward.  We have a great young squad with a lot of ambition, but we're not a "big club".  Maybe being realistic about that isn't a bad thing. 

I am not a fan,who is chasing the now and big game changer....I want us still to be prudent and take the slowly slowly approach,it's served us well in the last couple of season's.

Even now some fans have underated or simply ignored the Task that was needed under  Puels Tenure.

All modern buys and re-assesment of the clubs situation was under his cap. For that alone,we shouldn't just push his

Work under the table.If some think he brought some dollies ..EVERY club have quite a few that go awry..'most' of ours

were well before Puel took over.

Plus he put a break on big wasted buys,by reusing and rekindling the player

Resources...before spending OTT monies...Amartey(got injured,) Mendy,Wes Morgan, Simpson, occasionally Fuchs...

Too many on here squeezing their butts for a top 6,firstly IMO we should be consolidating,qualifying our top 8 positioning for the PL future,and get the team performing ,also with a better entertainment value ..The league position will then sort itself out,if BRodgers gives us a few seasons commitment..I am getting older & shorter on time,but I still would prefer we show our patience and take our time,than falling off the pace for the sake of 1-2 only potential  top 6 seasons .WBA & Stoke,A.Villa are prime examples of not first trying to consolidate PL status...Let's aim for a 10yr - indefinite period of not continuing to be a yo-yo club..Then we just might see our ambitions automatically start to be realised....or maybe not!!! But a W.ham type scenario is not what I want!!

Thrown money out & still not forced themselves into any top 8 bracket,let alone top 5-6...!!

Don't underestimate the challenge of jumping that chasm of making us a regular top 6-4 club ...Even a below AVG Manutd & Arsenal,have still  enough quality of squad and clout  to keep the likes of Watford,Wolves,and ourselves at Bay!! There is no unlocked backdoor way,into that ( for us) top 6 positions...

Feelings,nor dreams don't get it done!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Isn't he right footed? I'd have thought any winger coming in would be a left footed right winger? 

I presume it's because Perez stood out on the right for Newcastle so that's where he'll be playing?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I presume it's because Perez stood out on the right for Newcastle so that's where he'll be playing?

Hmmmm would still rather a left footer, even if they then mix it up and play on either sides. It gives us more flexibility, Barnes started to play a bit more on the right towards the end of the season as well. I suppose it doesn't matter too much but it's hard to get past what Mahrez used to do for us and not be desperate for another mercurial left footed right winger (Ghezzal…………….)

Seems an odd one if it is Torres after the comments made by BR about the winger he wants due to the playing style of our current bunch. Torres is one who will hog the touch line not come inside. 

My personal opinion is Torres is a very exciting player to have, however he reminds me more of a Albrighton replacement rather than what we thought we was looking for.

14 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Seems an odd one if it is Torres after the comments made by BR about the winger he wants due to the playing style of our current bunch. Torres is one who will hog the touch line not come inside. 

My personal opinion is Torres is a very exciting player to have, however he reminds me more of a Albrighton replacement rather than what we thought we was looking for.

Torres is young enough that he can largely be taught to do whatever they want. If they think he has the fight fundamentals. :dunno:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

LOL, no.  Love Albrighton but Torres is far more athletic and plays with much more flair.

It's worth noting that Jesus Navas has done pretty well for himself as a right-footed right winger in the Spanish system - a club legend and 38 caps for the national team.  Torres is an outside forward but he can cut inside when he wants, and he's pretty strong on his left foot too.  The player he claims to emulate is David Villa, who's made his living playing centrally.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Torres is young enough that he can largely be taught to do whatever they want. If they think he has the fight fundamentals. :dunno:

Can’t argue with that I suppose, I just thought with the message that’s coming from the club about going for it this year we would of signed someone who was already capable of playing the way BR wants from that specific player.

11 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

LOL, no.  Love Albrighton but Torres is far more athletic and plays with much more flair.

It's worth noting that Jesus Navas has done pretty well for himself as a right-footed right winger in the Spanish system - a club legend and 38 caps for the national team.  Torres is an outside forward but he can cut inside when he wants, and he's pretty strong on his left foot too.  The player he claims to emulate is David Villa, who's made his living playing centrally.

I agree with you Torres is far more athletic & does have much more flair, my point was with regards to the type of winger Torres is, he likes to hit the byline & get the cross in early. Hence the suggestion of being more a Albrighton type winger than say Mahrez.

From what I’ve seen of Torres I’ve rarely seen him come inside, if he can then great. Don’t get me wrong if we get Torres I think we’ve got one hell of a gem on our hands, however it’s just came as a surprise to me as he doesn’t seem to be an automatic match to the type of winger BR stated he was after.