Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nickbluefox

Dunk??!!

1 minute ago, deep blue said:

I don't get the assumption that Benkovic is an injury risk. The only injury I'm aware of is the one sustained last season, which I believe might have happened because of playing on an artificial surface - something that won't happen in the Prem - and a reoccurrence of it which was surely down to it not being managed properly (again, a much less likely occurrence if playing as part of our squad in the Prem). 

Can anyone give convincing evidence of his being a significant injury risk?

Pretty sure he wasnt playing and recovering from an injury when we bought him. 

21 minutes ago, deep blue said:

I don't get the assumption that Benkovic is an injury risk. The only injury I'm aware of is the one sustained last season, which I believe might have happened because of playing on an artificial surface - something that won't happen in the Prem - and a reoccurrence of it which was surely down to it not being managed properly (again, a much less likely occurrence if playing as part of our squad in the Prem). 

Can anyone give convincing evidence of his being a significant injury risk?

The ankle injury that kept him out initially wasn't inflicted by a plastic pitch. It happened in a 3-0 win against Hamilton at Parkhead, which is grass. It was then re-injured against Rangers at Ibrox, again grass. 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

All depends on how much money we have. I still think scoring goals will be the defining factor as to whether we finish nearer to the top 6 than the last 2 seasons. If we can sell Maguire, buy Dunk, buy Tielemans, buy a winger like Sarr or Malcom and a back up striker then happy days even if I think it'll be to the detriment of Benkovic and Soyuncu here. However, if we can't strengthen these areas then I don't think £30-40m on another centre half is shrewd business. Rodgers teams score goals, we need those key areas strengthening much more than our defence. We prioritised resolving our defensive problems last summer. Now we focus on midfield and attack and then see what's left to be done.

That’s fair enough, I think we’d have enough just about to do the deals we want. Presuming we have the £30m ish budget we normally do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxy_Bear said:

The ankle injury that kept him out initially wasn't inflicted by a plastic pitch. It happened in a 3-0 win against Hamilton at Parkhead, which is grass. It was then re-injured against Rangers at Ibrox, again grass. 

I thought he pulled up during the warm -up for the Kilmarnock game at Rugby Park? There is a horrendous surface there which I recall did for a Rangers player keeping him out for nearly a season.

Edited by mozartfox

Yeah, I forgot about that, that was another occasion again. That's defo plastic. The main injury was against Hamilton though. I think he played the whole game but shouldn't have. He was carrying a knock and ignored it. Then tried to rush back for the Rangers game and lasted a half. 

16 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

But £90 million for  26 year old defender is reasonable?

Englands first choice CB.

To brightons first choice CB.

If Maguire played for utd now or man city he would be worth 140M.

Dunk is a good defender that's it. Worth no more that 20m

Edited by Fox85

38 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

But £90 million for  26 year old defender is reasonable?

No. But it's the world of football we live in. 

Also need to look at "levels". No disrespect to Brighton but England no1 centre half will command  a larger fee.

29 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Englands first choice CB.

To brightons first choice CB.

If Maguire played for utd now or man city he would be worth 140M.

Dunk is a good defender that's it. Worth no more that 20m

Dunk has also played for England, he's not that far off the squad himself. 

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

A few years back Gibson, Maguire and Dunk were all vying for that England shirt. Interesting to see what happened with Gibson having played 1 game for Burnley. 

Given the right platform all 3 could have become big names as Maguire has.

12 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

A few years back Gibson, Maguire and Dunk were all vying for that England shirt. Interesting to see what happened with Gibson having played 1 game for Burnley. 

Given the right platform all 3 could have become big names as Maguire has.

Didn't they all have the same platform?

They all play for Premier League clubs, but one has just moved up to a different level.

(That's Harry by the way for all of the unbelievers out there).

47 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Yea done alright played 1 game hasn't he.

That doesnt justify his value of 40m.

Hes a good defender but hes not close to Maguire or stones level.

Both Maguire and stones are realistically worth between 50 -60m in todays market.

Dunk has not really warranted anything but being solid for a poor team.

This is why I was generous in saying hes worth 20m max

38 minutes ago, murphy said:

Didn't they all have the same platform?

They all play for Premier League clubs, but one has just moved up to a different level.

(That's Harry by the way for all of the unbelievers out there).

In a way yes, all 3 played for lower prem teams. 

But Maguire made the move to a mid table team (us) and has potentially had more exposure and developed more than Dunk at Brighton or Gibson at Championship Middlesborough and them Burnley. 

I'm suggesting if Dunk or Gibson had made a move to an Us, Everton, West Ham level side they may have progressed more.