Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

1 minute ago, Collymore said:

That logo gives me no clue who we'd be playing if we got though!

While the winner of Newport County and Leicester City U21 will welcome Salford City

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cal21212121 said:

The under 18's played Saturday, I'd rather they actually play for U18's than sit on the bench just to make up numbers. 

So you're saying U18s can't play a match on Saturday and then be on the bench (& possibly get some involvement off the bench on Tuesday). Equally, any reason why we couldn't not play certain individuals in the u18 fixture on the Saturday in order to involve them in this today? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Come on really, that's his job, do you think the club doesn't monitor his performance regarding developing players? 

Maybe there is a good reason for this, so hardly evidence! 

I'd have agrue that having 3 academy graduates in the starting 11 on Saturday, with 2 of the scoring for a team current sitting 3 in the PL, is evidence that the club is doing a decent job of developing players..   

Why not name an extra 2 U18 players and give them the experience of being part of a step up? I don't see any downside to it, it's an opportunity to give them exposure and they can't be arsed.

The fact that only Luke Thomas was promoted regularly from the U18's this season up until Christmas is enough to know that things are happening very slowly in bringing them through. You could argue they aren't yet good enough to come through but they did well enough in the FA Youth Cup and the league last season and it didn't mean a lot to the U23's.

1 hour ago, cal21212121 said:

The under 18's played Saturday, I'd rather they actually play for U18's than sit on the bench just to make up numbers. 

They also now don't play for 3 weeks so a good opportunity to be involved. They also didnt name 7 subs in the original game that was called off so it's not as if its because they are now on a mid winter break as the reason.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Why not name an extra 2 U18 players and give them the experience of being part of a step up? I don't see any downside to it, it's an opportunity to give them exposure and they can't be arsed.

The fact that only Luke Thomas was promoted regularly from the U18's this season up until Christmas is enough to know that things are happening very slowly in bringing them through. You could argue they aren't yet good enough to come through but they did well enough in the FA Youth Cup and the league last season and it didn't mean a lot to the U23's.

But your guessing, making assumptions! 

How do you know there's not a valid reason? 

• Like 1

Just now, coolhandfox said:

But your guessing, making assumptions! 

How do you know there's not a valid reason? 

What valid reason would there be not to, both in the original fixture and then tonight? Had the U18's been playing those evenings fair enough, however they don't play midweek bar the FA Youth Cup which we got knocked out before Christmas. 

I'll add it to my list of Beaglehole misdemeanors 

1 hour ago, nwl fox said:

So you're saying U18s can't play a match on Saturday and then be on the bench (& possibly get some involvement off the bench on Tuesday). Equally, any reason why we couldn't not play certain individuals in the u18 fixture on the Saturday in order to involve them in this today? 

I'm not claiming to know how running a football club works, merely making a suggestion, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were protections in place for the youngsters. But ultimately what difference does it make? 

But as this seems to be an issue for some, having thought more about it, as this is not a PL2 game, but an EFL sanctioned tournament, I'd guess the players would have to be registered, hence why they wear the high squad numbers rather than the 1-11 they usually would. This meaning you can't just play any random youngster or trialist. 

11 minutes ago, cal21212121 said:

I'm not claiming to know how running a football club works, merely making a suggestion, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were protections in place for the youngsters. But ultimately what difference does it make? 

But as this seems to be an issue for some, having thought more about it, as this is not a PL2 game, but an EFL sanctioned tournament, I'd guess the players would have to be registered, hence why they wear the high squad numbers rather than the 1-11 they usually would. This meaning you can't just play any random youngster or trialist. 

Wasn't a problem for Terell Pennant, and a couple others. There are U23's that were also left out Tyrese Shade, Callum Hulme, Viktor Johannsen

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Beaglehole was very complimentary of Terell Pennant this week, let's hope he persists with him and gives him a proper chance. He dubbed Conor Tee a future Paul Scholes and then has played him less than 10 times in 18 months. 

Genuinely don’t get why we’d keep a youth player uninjured and not play them! Surely it’s pointless? He’s not developing as much just training surely? Surprised he’s not tried to force a move more and get some football whatever level!

sidnei Tavares (spelling) seems to have vanished also? 

• Like 1

What's happened to Ndukwu? He was on loan at Southend (which I believe was a train wreck) and must have returned but it's like he's disappeared off the face of the earth. 

Unless he's injured, but I'd thought I'd have read something...