Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Dennis Praet

11 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

FM legend. Youri’s Compatriot. Still no, not sure more mids are needed. Don’t want to inhibit Hamza’s progress.

I don't really buy this, since as much as I like Hamza he's not really a creative player.  It's Wilf who's blocking his progress and unless BR decides to go with two holding mids (which I doubt he will, and Puel wouldn't have done if he'd had better creative options at his disposal) Hamza is always going to be a squad player and part of the cup squad as long as Wilf is around.

Edited by Deeg67

5 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I don't really buy this, since as much as I like Hamza he's not really a creative player.  It's Wilf who's blocking his progress and unless BR decides to go with two holding mids (which I doubt he will, and Puel wouldn't have done if he'd had better creative options at his disposal) Hamza is always going to be a squad player and part of the cup squad as long as Wilf is around.

Fair enough, but I didn’t say Hamza was first team. More he will get less minutes should Praet or similar come in. Also, Hamza is a bit more forward thinking than Wilf, so although to a degree they are similar, don’t see Hamza as a total Wilf sub-ordinate only. We do need squad players, who ideally would develop and give Rodgers a headache.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Fair enough, but I didn’t say Hamza was first team. More he will get less minutes should Praet or similar come in. Also, Hamza is a bit more forward thinking than Wilf, so although to a degree they are similar, don’t see Hamza as a total Wilf sub-ordinate only. We do need squad players, who ideally would develop and give Rodgers a headache.

There isn't total overlap I agree, and Hamza is a bit more forward-thinking.  But I'm not sure it matters, because in any traditional formation BR is likely to play, Wilf and Hamza would play the same position.  And there's still the question of having cover for Youri, if Silva is indeed out of the picture, and Hamza doesn't provide that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

Barnes and Gray are wingers. Perez is surely a utility forward. We have to remember we switched from a 4-2-3-1 with a proper number 10 to what was a pretty standard 4-3-3 with one holding player (like you say, Ndidi or Mendy) and two creative no.8s. Maddison and Tielemans just about have the defensive application to make it work between them, but I'm not sure Perez does.

Percy reckons Silva has been told he's not wanted, and Kingy is surely not good enough these days. I just think we are a bit light on depth if we want to give the cups a proper go this time.

Barnes has played no 10 aswell at WBA 

7 hours ago, JamesfromlondonLCFC said:

this window is weird, i havent read Leicester, Everton and West Ham in close proximity of each other all summer. Madness. 

Could that be a sign that people think we have finally surpassed them in the rumour mill. Lets hope we see more rumours linking Leicester, Man U and Arsenal.

What a time to be alive lol 

8 hours ago, SO1 said:

4 goals in 106 appearances for Sampdoria. :jawdrop:

He isn't an attacking midfielder, as promoted or quoted by some on here. He works in a role similar to Tielemans, providing cover in the centre of the park, initiating attacks or breaking them up. Box-to-box midfielder comes probably closest. Think of a Belgian Danny Drinkwater.

8 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Perez can certainly fill Maddion's role if needed.  Tielemans' not so much.

I don't disagree that cover at creative MF is important (I'd hoped it would be Silva TBH) but I think a wide player with goals in him is a greater need as the squad currently stands.

Keep it quiet, we don't want other teams copying, but we may actually be trying to buy two players at the same time.

Would he better rotation option than King, James and Silva? Suspect yes, but would he like that - :dunno:.

If Rodgers is going for a high intensity system with frequent rotation, then the squad needs a refresher beyond the starting 11

10 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

Everyone is forgetting we have absolutely no cover for Tielemans and Maddison. One creative and attacking no.8 is a must.

Hamza, Mendy and Barnes. Barnes played n10 at West Brom and u23s and excelled, scoring plenty. Hamza has already looked like he'll assist a few. It's not ideal but if we're going to spend more money I'd prefer it to be a first team winger than a backup midfielder.

5 hours ago, woznotwos said:

Barnes has played no 10 aswell at WBA 

And that's the position their fans state he played best in and appeared nowhere near as effective out wide. I think it was a big ask for him to jump up to Premiership standard in an unfamiliar recent role having only had a relative short period of experience in the Championship. Yet, there are certain detractors on here keen to start quoting stats etc etc, how incredibly dull and meaningless unless comparing like for like. Taking the above into account,  what should the reasonably minded supporter reasonably expect? I thought he showed up really well and at times was a bit unlucky, should we reasonably have expected him to attain the stats of Zaha or similar? Maddison had a period of a few games where he went missing and again,  for a first season, what should we reasonably expect, despite the hype and favouritism by some, including the media, he was finding his feet. It is by utilising our youngsters that will will provide a sound playing and financial base for the future. Anyone remember the slating poor old Chilwell got on here whilst learning in his first year, it was shameful at times. Yet all of a sudden, with a bit of perseverance, he's playing international football and from nothing, now worth around 60m. Who'd have thunk it, thank God the club don't listen to supporters opinions. Barnes could quite easily become the same with a combination of Rodgers, game time and patience. The continual striving for the next best foreign shiny thing to fill a little box isn't going to progress him or others like him, it's part of the trade off. Players like Thauvin for example may or may not fit in,  he was shite last time he was here but has developed tremendously where he is now. Silva and Slimani were great where they came from too by the way. Rodgers may just think that Barnes is the better long term prospect for example for a variety of reasons  and I personally trust him and his professional back up team to evaluate the pros and cons. Buying in can potentially stunt growth and import problems into a seemingly happy squad. Walsh and NP for example supposedly put a lot of weight into a potential new player's  personality and ability to mix in.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

And that's the position their fans state he played best in and appeared nowhere near as effective out wide. I think it was a big ask for him to jump up to Premiership standard in an unfamiliar recent role having only had a relative short period of experience in the Championship. Yet, there are certain detractors on here keen to start quoting stats etc etc, how incredibly dull and meaningless unless comparing like for like. Taking the above into account,  what should the reasonably minded supporter reasonably expect? I thought he showed up really well and at times was a bit unlucky, should we reasonably have expected him to attain the stats of Zaha or similar? Maddison had a period of a few games where he went missing and again,  for a first season, what should we reasonably expect, despite the hype and favouritism by some, including the media, he was finding his feet. It is by utilising our youngsters that will will provide a sound playing and financial base for the future. Anyone remember the slating poor old Chilwell got on here whilst learning in his first year, it was shameful at times. Yet all of a sudden, with a bit of perseverance, he's playing international football and from nothing, now worth around 60m. Who'd have thunk it, thank God the club don't listen to supporters opinions. Barnes could quite easily become the same with a combination of Rodgers, game time and patience. The continual striving for the next best foreign shiny thing to fill a little box isn't going to progress him or others like him, it's part of the trade off. Players like Thauvin for example may or may not fit in,  he was shite last time he was here but has developed tremendously where he is now. Silva and Slimani were great where they came from too by the way. Rodgers may just think that Barnes is the better long term prospect for example for a variety of reasons  and I personally trust him and his professional back up team to evaluate the pros and cons. Buying in can potentially stunt growth and import problems into a seemingly happy squad. Walsh and NP for example supposedly put a lot of weight into a potential new player's  personality and ability to mix in.

There you go again. Speaking sense to those who will not listen. Thanks. I'm listening.

Going to enjoy watching this club this year, with or without new toys, and see what gems Rodgers uncovers. Revelation. Its the best part.

2 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Hamza, Mendy and Barnes. Barnes played n10 at West Brom and u23s and excelled, scoring plenty. Hamza has already looked like he'll assist a few. It's not ideal but if we're going to spend more money I'd prefer it to be a first team winger than a backup midfielder.

So if Youri is suddenly out for 3 months, you're going to put our current best wide player in central midfield, a position much deeper than the role he played at WBA with significantly more defensive responsibility?

I've got no problem with Hamza but every team wanting to fight on 3 fronts needs two players per position, and he isn't a viable alternative to James Maddison in terms of creativity. To only have 5 proper midfielders for 3 positions will cause us problems later in the season.

3 minutes ago, SO1 said:

There you go again. Speaking sense to those who will not listen. Thanks. I'm listening.

Going to enjoy watching this club this year, with or without new toys, and see what gems Rodgers uncovers. Revelation. Its the best part.

I just think that we have to stick to the game plan. There's always room for some experience,  what a buy Evans was for example. For me last season, you could palpably feel the excitement and togetherness by younger players such as Maddison, Chilwell, Tielemans and others when certain things they tried came off. I'm convinced that's part of the reason Tielemans has come here. Admittedly you have to suffer some inconsistency and mistakes but it's more exciting than watching the same old model taken up buy other clubs. I believe we'll have a decent season. Someone will get a spanking off us and the next week we'll probably lose by the odd goal due to an error. So be it. I  find the prospect exciting.