Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
koop.

League One

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It was the most enjoyable season as a fan that I've ever had, in the sense of enjoying it without the horrid pressure seen in 2015/16 and other meaningful years. We turned up week in, week out and took over gaffs and shit em. Mark Davies was Tielemans and Kante rolled in to one and Matty Fryatt was Romario.

I agree, Walsall away in the snow and Cheltenham away in the sunshine are highlights of the season I’ll treasure along with all our other amazing successes. 

• Like 1

Genuinely convinced myself Mark Davies was going to play for a top prem side while he was here for just 7 starts! lol 

Not sure what happened to him... stayed at Bolton years and then just disappeared in 2017, he's still only 31!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

Genuinely convinced myself Mark Davies was going to play for a top prem side while he was here for just 7 starts! lol 

Not sure what happened to him... stayed at Bolton years and then just disappeared in 2017, he's still only 31!

Injuries. Last game for Bolton was in August 2016.

I think he was coming back from injury at Wolves when he joined us.

8 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Yeah, he bossed it when he was here. It was an enjoyable season, although I don't miss it. I do miss not being able to rock up to the stadium on a matchday and buy a ticket at the ground. What did we average that season, about 20-22,000?

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Squad.thumb.PNG.2877c613d18e2e2b7eadad4b942e99bc.PNG

This is the actual squad for that season. It was honestly better than some of the ones we had before we went down!

Marc Edworthy!

Nevermind players you forgot played for us, he's one I never realised we had

• Haha 3

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Yeah, he bossed it when he was here. It was an enjoyable season, although I don't miss it. I do miss not being able to rock up to the KP on a matchday and buy a ticket at the ground. What did we average that season, about 20-22,000?

Stockport at home was a stand out for me, never seen rain like it, I was quite low down in the family stand and it was pelting towards me. We scored early, it was 1-1 after about 7 mins, i'd convinced myself a thriller was going to make up for the weather...... and that was it... literally nothing happened for 83 mins lollol 

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

Stockport at home was a stand out for me, never seen rain like it, I was quite low down in the family stand and it was pelting towards me. We scored early, it was 1-1 after about 7 mins, i'd convinced myself a thriller was going to make up for the weather...... and that was it... literally nothing happened for 83 mins lollol 

I think humping POSH 4-0 at home was my highlight of the season.

Looking back getting relegated to League 1 was the best thing at the time to happen, we had flirted with it for a couple of seasons before. Poor manager selection and a host of poor players leading to the inevitable, the most important process once it was confirmed was to appoint a quality manager with experience of the league and capable of taking the club forward. Enter Nigel Pearson you cannot under estimate the job he did at the football club, he stripped it down and built from the foundations without this we would not be where we are today. It has been an enjoyable ride since with some unbelievable highlights, but the OP in my opinion was correct are turn of fortunes started in league 1.  

• Thanks 2

Still remember being on bbc sport in science class and it popped up with Nigels face saying he had been appointed.

I thought oh no not that boring twat from Southampton. 

Thank god Twitter didnt exist then. That would have been my "ranieri, really?" moment.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

It was the most enjoyable season as a fan that I've ever had, in the sense of enjoying it without the horrid pressure seen in 2015/16 and other meaningful years. We turned up week in, week out and took over gaffs and shit em. Mark Davies was Tielemans and Kante rolled in to one and Matty Fryatt was Romario.

The days where I had Max Gradel's phone number as he thought I was a scout or connected to Newcastle Utd in some way lol

Remember speaking to Fryatt outside the ground at Hartlepool in the paint trophy and telling him I'd lumped on him big time for golden boot so he better produce -  he nodded his head and looked deep in thought as if I was being serious with him!

Remember the ticket office sending my last minute away tickets up on the team coach and me having to wait while the players got off to get my tickets off the driver!

Remember Bruno Berner slotting into to midfield one time and looking absolute quality. 

It was the season that allowed me fall back into love with football after years of abuse at the hands of jokers.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

That's the 2009/10 squad, our first year back in the Championship.

First thought was that, was 100% sure waghorn didn’t play for us in L1 but still had to do a quick google make sure I’m not going mad lol

Was the best thing to happen to us. Pearson, Walsh and Shakespeare started an ernoumous rebuild and did a fine job of it. I do wonder where we would be had we stayed up and stuck with Holloway.

Due to the utter rubbish we saw for the many seasons before, I recall having this feeling every time we signed a player that season (loan or permanent) immediately thinking they must be shit - I was happily wrong each time. The season, as others have said, rekindled my love for football and the football club. We learnt how to win again.

Surprised a few players from that squad didn’t have better careers. Gilbert, Davies, Adams, Bunn, Stockdale (both who I remember I really wanted us to sign permanently) and to some extent jack Hobbs. 

Great season - great benefit for the club. 

13 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Strangely this was the first season I really started to get into it, great times. 

Same, had been a ST holder a couple years before had but I was a young lad and it quickly became pretty disheartening to watch and I was quickly losing interest. Would probably explain why I'm so pro-Pearson but that season made me enjoy being a City supporter properly for the first time, and when you look at that League since we came up (and a few years before we were there) Leeds, Sheff United, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Cov have all gone down and either dwelled there a few seasons or fell even lower. Absolutely smashed that League and Pearson did the exact same when given a decent budget (not much considering we were recovering from Sven at the time) in the Championship.

I was really proud of our record of being one of only 8 clubs never to have played in the third tier.  However, it seems as though we had to fall that far in order to start climbing again and we all know what happened after that!

• Like 1