Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ex Players - They used to play for us

39 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Just checked in on Leonardo Ulloa to see how he's doing.

Turns out he's now in La Liga 2 with Rayo Vallecano.

His record this season so far is:

P 11

G 5

A 2

YC 8

RC 1

8 yellows in 11 games lol

Jeez, don't remember him getting many yellows here and defo don't think he ever got a red for us. Refs must be harsh in Spain 😄

Former Celtic, Leicester City and Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill has come in for criticism from former player Graham Fenton.

Fenton worked with O'Neill at Leicester in the late 1990s and while things didn't work out for the attacker on the pitch, he claimed O'Neill didn't help him settle at the club.

"I am not afraid to speak my mind because I have read stuff in his books where has had a pop at me so, he just wasn't for me," Fenton told Tribal Football.

"I work for people who are down to earth and give information that they expect you to follow, but he was a character who didn't give clear information and then slagged you off for not doing what was expected."

After two years with Blackburn Rovers, Fenton was sold to Leicester for £1.1m in August 1997. The young attacker was actually identified and signed by O'Neill - and immediately repaid his manager's confidence by scoring on debut in a famous 2-1 win at Liverpool. But he managed just 34 league appearances over three seasons before leaving on-loan for Walsall.

Leicester lifted the League Cup in 2000 under O'Neill, but Fenton wasn't involved in the squad for the final. This despite making four appearances and scoring one goal in the run to the final.

He added: "There are players who performed well for him but I just don't like that type of person."

O'Neill is currently out of work after leaving Nottingham Forest while today Fenton is managing Northern Premier side South Shields.

Read more at https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fenton-exclusive-ex-leicester-boss-o-neill-just-slagged-you-off-4304951#byZ150DCUSj1u0SY.99

4 hours ago, davieG said:

Former Celtic, Leicester City and Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill has come in for criticism from former player Graham Fenton.

Fenton worked with O'Neill at Leicester in the late 1990s and while things didn't work out for the attacker on the pitch, he claimed O'Neill didn't help him settle at the club.

"I am not afraid to speak my mind because I have read stuff in his books where has had a pop at me so, he just wasn't for me," Fenton told Tribal Football.

"I work for people who are down to earth and give information that they expect you to follow, but he was a character who didn't give clear information and then slagged you off for not doing what was expected."

After two years with Blackburn Rovers, Fenton was sold to Leicester for £1.1m in August 1997. The young attacker was actually identified and signed by O'Neill - and immediately repaid his manager's confidence by scoring on debut in a famous 2-1 win at Liverpool. But he managed just 34 league appearances over three seasons before leaving on-loan for Walsall.

Leicester lifted the League Cup in 2000 under O'Neill, but Fenton wasn't involved in the squad for the final. This despite making four appearances and scoring one goal in the run to the final.

He added: "There are players who performed well for him but I just don't like that type of person."

O'Neill is currently out of work after leaving Nottingham Forest while today Fenton is managing Northern Premier side South Shields.

Read more at https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fenton-exclusive-ex-leicester-boss-o-neill-just-slagged-you-off-4304951#byZ150DCUSj1u0SY.99

Always thought there was something not right between them. seemed an excellent signing at the time and could never understand why he didn't get much game time. he seemed to be frozen out from very early on soon after his arrival. Obviously still no love lost between them. I suppose there will always be personality clashes in any workplace. I have certainly had at least one boss that I didn't get on with (and one or two employees when I ran my own business to be fair).

10 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Always thought there was something not right between them. seemed an excellent signing at the time and could never understand why he didn't get much game time. he seemed to be frozen out from very early on soon after his arrival. Obviously still no love lost between them. I suppose there will always be personality clashes in any workplace. I have certainly had at least one boss that I didn't get on with (and one or two employees when I ran my own business to be fair).

Him and Cottee were signed at about the same time. I guess Tony was just a better fit for us overall when paired up with Emile. And I can't really disagree about that at all even looking back now. 

Just now, LC/FC said:

Him and Cottee were signed at about the same time. I guess Tony was just a better fit for us overall when paired up with Emile. And I can't really disagree about that at all even looking back now. 

Cottee was a class act no doubt about it

6 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Cottee was a class act no doubt about it

Exactly.

Martin probably wanted Fenton as the future and bought Cottee as back up since he was older and just got back from a wander in Malaysia.

But then fate intervened and said "No Tone. You're gonna be a Legend here at Leicester and we'll finally get you that winners medal that you've wanted and deserved to have" 

Edited by LC/FC

Leo Ulloa on Premier League World, talking about his time with us. Speaks very well.

Interestingly, he mentions Claudio coming in and asking all the players "who is the most talented player?" with the resounding answer being Riyad. Claudio then says "then we play through Riyad. We must trust Riyad and we will win games"

A slightly different approach to NP's "team first, individual 2nd"

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

Leo Ulloa on Premier League World, talking about his time with us. Speaks very well.

Interestingly, he mentions Claudio coming in and asking all the players "who is the most talented player?" with the resounding answer being Riyad. Claudio then says "then we play through Riyad. We must trust Riyad and we will win games"

A slightly different approach to NP's "team first, individual 2nd"

Missed it but see it's on again at 9.30 so it's gone on the recording list.:schmike:

17 hours ago, onekeithweller said:

David Martin gets a Premier League debut at age 33 for West Ham. I wish him all the best :ermm:

He had a really good loan spell with us when we won league one. Very surprised that it’s taken him this long to make his debut in the top flight.

22 minutes ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

He had a really good loan spell with us when we won league one. Very surprised that it’s taken him this long to make his debut in the top flight.

I always thought League one was his standard when he was here. Had some good attributes but was a bit flappy, and never fully appeared to command his area.

I saw some highlights from Huesca games on youtube last month and Shinji was looking as energetic as always. He has scored 3 goals so far. A pity he was on the bench today, they should start him if they want to be promoted. Leo's Rayo aren't doing as well as Huesca but good to see him playing and scoring. I'll always have the fondest memories of these two.

I have to say, this Segunda Division is unpredictable!