Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ex Players - They used to play for us

22 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Not an ex-player and he's got form for being a bit of an arse but Yann M'Vila has brought up the distance between Claude and the St. Etienne dressing room, doesn't sound too dissimilar to what was reported during a lot of his time here...

Sounds like he's still not learning lessons from past mistakes.

• 2 weeks later...

'Three-zip!' - Ben Hamer opens up about that Champions League horror show with Leicester City
Leicester City news: Former City stopper has been recalling the 5-0 defeat to FC Porto in the Champions League in December 2016 when he made his competition debut

ByRichard CusackFootball writer
17:32, 20 APR 2020

Ben Hamer has opened up on the Champions League horror show that saw Leicester City thrashed 5-0 in December 2016.

Hamer was making his competition debut as then-City boss Claudio Ranieri made a raft of changes with his side already confirmed as Group G winners.

Porto needed to win and did so in style, with Andre Silva, Jesus Corona and Yacine Brahimi putting Porto 3-0 up by half-time as Hamer's European bow quickly turned into a nightmare.

The former City stopper, who moved to Huddersfield Town in 2018 and is now back in the East Midlands after moving to Derby County on loan, has recalled the trip to Portugal on the A Goal in One podcast.

Hamer hadn't made a single appearance that season and, with City already through, Ranieri decided to give some of his fringe players a chance to impress.

But they came up against a ruthless Porto side in no mood to go easy on their much-changed opponents.

"Why did you have to bring that up?" Hamer began.

"I try and stay as quiet as I can about that because it was obviously a dreadful night for myself.

"I remember I was actually third choice that season because the year after winning the Premier League, Leicester brought in Ron-Robert Zieler

"So he was the second choice and I was third-choice, knocking about and not really enjoying myself to be honest because I was a training goalkeeper.

"I wasn't playing at all.

"I didn't play any games that season and them, all of a sudden because the lads had absolutely blitzed the group I think Claudio made a decision to give everyone a game who hadn't had one.

"On the Monday the goalkeeper coach pulled me on the way out to training and said you're playing on Wednesday night.

"So naturally I was absolutely buzzing to play in the Champions League.

"It was a dream of mine to play in the Premier League, I never thought I'd play in the Champions League.

"We flew out to Porto, I was buzzing, confident and was really looking forward to the experience."

"We got out there, lined up with the Champions League theme music, was absolutely buzzing and I thought 'I don't mind that'.

Ben Hamer lies face down on his way to becoming the first English goalkeeper to concede five goals on his Champions League debut
Ben Hamer lies face down on his way to becoming the first English goalkeeper to concede five goals on his Champions League debut (Image: MIGUEL RIOPA/AFP/Getty Images)
"I ran out, got into my goal and was really looking forward to the night ahead.

"The next thing, I look at the scoreboard and it's three-zip!

"Sometimes in football, you find yourself in a territory where you're on a pitch and you can't wait for the game to be over.

"They needed the points that night so they had a dull strength team out and we'd made 11 changes.

"They just ran us ragged and we ended up getting comfortably beaten.

"Claudio, after the game, was absolutely fuming even though we'd progressed from the group.

"Because he thought the 11 lads that went out that night had really let them down.

"He gave us an opportunity which we failed massively.

"It was a really disappointing evening to one that I thought would be an amazing night.

"I don't really look back at that very often because it was something I'd rather forget than cherish."

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-porto-champions-league-4062605

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Three-zip!' - Ben Hamer opens up about that Champions League horror show with Leicester City
Leicester City news: Former City stopper has been recalling the 5-0 defeat to FC Porto in the Champions League in December 2016 when he made his competition debut

Still don’t think I forgave him for that howler against spurs on that Boxing Day. And to top of off he went to forest and derby after! 

He was decent.

Former Leicester City striker Yann Kermorgant has announced his retirement from the game.

The Frenchman, best remembered at City for his saved penalty in the 2010 Championship play-off semi-final against Cardiff, had been playing for hometown club Vannes in France’s fourth tier, but with the season cancelled amid the coronavirus, he has chosen to hang up his boots.

Reflecting on his career and his time in England, Kermorgant, now 38, admitted it was a “complicated” spell at Leicester, with the striker vilified for his panenka attempt in the Welsh capital.

After leaving City, he went on to enjoy excellent spells with Charlton, Bournemouth and Reading, becoming a fan favourite at all three, developing a knack for scoring against Leicester.

15 minutes ago, davieG said:

He was decent.

Former Leicester City striker Yann Kermorgant has announced his retirement from the game.

The Frenchman, best remembered at City for his saved penalty in the 2010 Championship play-off semi-final against Cardiff, had been playing for hometown club Vannes in France’s fourth tier, but with the season cancelled amid the coronavirus, he has chosen to hang up his boots.

Reflecting on his career and his time in England, Kermorgant, now 38, admitted it was a “complicated” spell at Leicester, with the striker vilified for his panenka attempt in the Welsh capital.

After leaving City, he went on to enjoy excellent spells with Charlton, Bournemouth and Reading, becoming a fan favourite at all three, developing a knack for scoring against Leicester.

He was indeed decent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-title-moore-reading-4128602

Leicester City news | The Reading captain Liam Moore is a massive Foxes fan

ByJames Rushton
11:30, 13 MAY 2020

Leicester City's 2016 title triumph was an eruption of ecstasy for the city, the squad and the fanbase.

However, it didn't take long for the heart of one onlooker to break.

Loughborough born Foxes fan Liam Moore, looked on in glee as the Premier League title was raised before him at the King Power stadium before he realised the true meaning of the event.

However, Moore - who was a key part of Leicester's promoted side in 2014, missed out entirely when he was loaned out to Bristol City - and Leicester's greatest day 'changed him'.

"It would have taken just five appearances to get a winners’ medal, and that medal I would have cherished for ever," said Moore speaking to the Athletic.

I can remember it. When I told my wife I was doing this interview, to look back over my career, she said, ‘Do you remember that day? It changed you.’

“I remember crying, trying to hide my tears, but saying I would be back stronger for this. It was so difficult, but it was such an eye-opener. It will go down as an amazing day, but a tough day in my career.”

"My family were coming and everyone was adamant I had played a part in how we had got to that point. Everything was great during the game (a 3-1 win over Everton), but it hit me when I wasn’t on the podium — I hadn’t played any minutes in the league (for Leicester) that season.

Liam Moore made 67 appearances for Leicester City
Liam Moore made 67 appearances for Leicester City (Image: Ross Kinnaird/Getty Images)
"The moment they said, ‘And this season’s Premier League champions are… Leicester City’, and Wes lifted the trophy, it was one of the best and worst feelings in my life. I had just seen my boyhood club, the club that means so much to me, become champions, but I then realised that some of the decisions I had made in the past year had cost me the chance of being involved."

Moore had fought for his career - and after being offered the chance to fight for a role on the bench, chose to move to Bristol and fight for a first-team role. It didn't work out, and Moore missed out - by attempting to make the best decision for his career.

The end point? A transfer away from the club he loved.

“I needed a fresh start. It clicked that I couldn’t keep going out on loan. I needed to find a home. I walked away. I took time to decide on the move to Reading and I cried for the whole two-hour journey when I drove out of the training ground for the last time."

Moore's time at Reading was quickly defined by pain as Jaap Stam's side missed out on the Premier League in a play-off final shootout, but Moore bounced back - and is now the dressing room leader of a side that in itself is picking up the pieces.

“I was player of the year the next season. I was recently made captain and it feels like every trial and tribulation I have gone through has got me to this point.

“I am immensely proud to be captain of Reading now.”

i remember an interview Moore and Morgan did when we played our first few games in the prem- they were just like ‘ woah’ in the different standard of play up in the prem..

hea a good lad and it’s a shame it didn’t work out for him here