Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

The Politics Thread 2019

Just now, Huli said:

Why should the sea (or the land) belong to anyone? Do the worms and bacteria and fish and .... not have the right to own themselves?

Human global dominance, for better or worse. Probably worse.

I think Buce is right that sending an aircraft carrier to the South China Sea was solely willy waving but it doesn't fool anyone into estimating upwards our capability. It all just goes to show that continuing to chip away at the defence budget (and having no real strategy as with everything in Westminster) to help fund the modern welfare state has led us woefully short of capability and increases risk.

6 hours ago, Beechey said:

Because I believe in the rule of law. If China is allowed to completely tear up the UN Convention on the Law of the Seas, why doesn't everyone else?

China are a party to this convention, as is the UK. Further, we're a member of the Five Power Defence Arrangements, and Chinese actions in this area are calling into question our obligations to such agreements.

Presumably you're therefore also against a Royal Navy deployment to the Gulf, where they frequently do freedom of navigation operations? Operation Kipion is exactly the same as this South China Sea deployment, except that's a standing deployment and this is a one-off.

The fact you call it pointless willy-waving tells me everything I need to know about your knowledge on the topic, as well are your predisposition to arguments on the topic.

As much as the Chinese government are authoritarian, brutal buggers and seeing someone stand up to them is nice, let's not pretend that this particular piece of "defending the international rule of law" is all that altruistic - if the UK really had altruism at heart, it would be taking action against (or at least talking about) many more breaches of international law than it does. Enforcement on such international laws seems to be very...ad hoc. And there's a reason for that.

Once you get past the fuzzy PR, this is another example of the UK following the rules of realpolitik: "We're protecting our interests and those of our allies. It is what every other country is doing, and we'd be foolish not to do so too."  What one makes of that is purely down to the beholder, but some honesty that it is the case would be nice.

I actually don't believe it to be pointless for those reasons above (though I personally believe most military action by most actors anywhere to be pointless, I also know that in a democratic system that doesn't matter so long as there are more people who perceive otherwise).

19 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Leicsmac when he sees this. lol

giphy.gif

lol is that the impression given?

Just because I want more of them planted and preserve the ones we've got, doesn't mean I want to live among them. More comfortable living through (sustainable) improvements in technology, please. :D

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

lol is that the impression given?

Just because I want more of them planted and preserve the ones we've got, doesn't mean I want to live among them. More comfortable living through (sustainable) improvements in technology, please. :D

Tbh my e-impression of you is proper tree hugger hippie like. But you do you. I like the fact you're so passionate about it all, even if it is a bit OTT for me. :D

3 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Tbh my e-impression of you is proper tree hugger hippie like. But you do you. I like the fact you're so passionate about it all, even if it is a bit OTT for me. :D

Nah man, you're a little off, I love my tech and I think it as critical to human survival as watching and being mindful of what we do to the planet is. Both are damn important IMO. :cool:

But thanks for the compliment - leaving a better world for those who inhabit it after me does drive me, yeah.

• Like 1

Tory MP for Dover charged with 3 sexual assaults against 2 women, but denies accusations: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/22/tory-mp-charlie-elphicke-charged-with-sexual-assault

Will be interesting to see how the Tory Party reacts to this. When the allegations were first raised, they suspended him from party whip - but then reinstated him in time for the May confidence vote.

Not helpful with their wafer-thin majority or with their low ratings among women voters.

Dover would be a hell of a place to have a by-election with Brexit in the offing, as Britain's busiest channel port - and a Con-Lab marginal (usually), but with obvious potential for the Brexit Party.....though some way off that yet.

Could be fun if a by-election happened just after a No Deal Brexit with 20-mile lorry tailbacks or whatever. :ph34r:

• Haha 1