Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Iheanacho deserves respect for difficult Leicester City role, says Brendan Rodgers

First and foremost, he needs to up his effort levels and be a bit more switched on. 

Leicester fans have always warmed to a trier even if they had limited ability. 

I'll always support any player that wears the shirt but he's payed incredible wages and many times he's looked like he's away with the fairies. 

Hope he evolves into the player we thought we bought but he needs a rocket up his arse. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I'll get crucified for saying this, but I think he's got a clinical edge to his game. Taking the chance he missed away to Man City out of the equation, when he's given a good chance he usually finishes it. Admittedly for Leicester this has usually been against lower league opposition but performances against Fleetwood and Peterborough were very impressive. When he was at Man City he also had a real knack for finishing. For strikers this one of those things that almost can't be taught... some strikers just seem to be able to keep their cool under pressure and others can't. If you had a one one one and had to choose between Okazaki and Nacho, you'd pick Nacho for example. Nacho also has decent awareness in terms of playing other players in, he's made some nice assists for Vardy during his time here.

Of course that being said the player has many weaknesses. Biggest for me is his positioning which is atrocious and it's the reason why often the game completely passes him by. His off the ball runs aren't great and he's not physical making it hard for him to lead the line, and he doesn't work as a support striker for me either because he doesn't drift into the spaces at the right time to link the play. His positional awareness is hopeless, in a recent preseason friendly, the ball was played over the top and he did the hard thing of getting onto it and controlling it, and then let it drift out of play instead of passing it! If ever there was a moment to sum up the man it was that one! Again comparing him to the now departed Okazaki, despite Shinji's tendency to fall over, he often improved the team when he was on the pitch. That's the biggest failing Nacho has IMO, he's just sort of there but ineffectual.

OK.  I am a big critic of his and after two years I have given up on him but I was wondering if I had missed something.

I think that we have seen little evidence of his clinical finishing.  He hasn't scored for 10 months before Cambridge and that was against Huddersfield.  Perhaps he needs that extra fraction of time he might be afforded against weak opposition ie Cambridge, Huddersfiled, Fleetwood, Peterborough.   He has played the odd cute or intelligent assist but not often enough so I can't put either of these aspects of his game into the 'very good' bracket.  If I were asked to sum up his strengths, I really wouldn't know what to say.

Most interesting quote in that is “Jamie definitely plays. He’s top class”

Compare with Puel leaving him out of the side because he wasn’t getting the service thanks to his overly cautious set up.

It’s rare that a manager comes in and rights all of the wrongs of the previous manager but Brendan seems to be doing it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MattP said:

From those quotes it looks like Perez up front if Vardy gets injured. 

He might be trying to keep his confidence up but I don't think we'll be seeing too much of him this season thankfully.

Wouldn’t be too surprised if Vardy is rested more times this season than he’s been before. 

5 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

BR trying to get the fans on side by saying all the right things in the HOPE that he improves. 

There's no way he wouldn't be sold if an offer come in, just no one is willing to do it and rightly so right now.

Rodgers is very good at this. Learnt his lessons from the silly quotes of 4/5 years ago but he's always said he right things about his players.

10 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

Rodgers is very good at this. Learnt his lessons from the silly quotes of 4/5 years ago but he's always said he right things about his players.

That criticism of Iheanacho after the M City match last year was the harshest thing I ever heard him say about a player in 8 yrs.

It's him and his players against the world.

5 hours ago, murphy said:

OK.  I am a big critic of his and after two years I have given up on him but I was wondering if I had missed something.

I think that we have seen little evidence of his clinical finishing.  He hasn't scored for 10 months before Cambridge and that was against Huddersfield.  Perhaps he needs that extra fraction of time he might be afforded against weak opposition ie Cambridge, Huddersfiled, Fleetwood, Peterborough.   He has played the odd cute or intelligent assist but not often enough so I can't put either of these aspects of his game into the 'very good' bracket.  If I were asked to sum up his strengths, I really wouldn't know what to say.

he was clinical at Man City...that's what he's referring to. He's shown he has that in his locker he just needs confidence.

22 minutes ago, Out Foxed said:

he was clinical at Man City...that's what he's referring to. He's shown he has that in his locker he just needs confidence.

Yes, I understand the point being made, but I see little evidence of it.  I just disagree.  Obviously, I have seen much more of him here than at Man City and at Man City he might just have been carried along by their galacticos.  

How many times have we written off a player got rid of him only for him to come good. We nearly did it with vardy. As far as I'm concerned if Rogers is willing to give him a chance then so am I.

He's a confidence player that much is obvious. He came with a lot of hype, for a decent fee and got frozen out as soon as he came to the club. He has never really been given a chance as a starter.

He only gets given 10-15 minutes which for me isn't enough to grow into a game couple that with the fact he routinely gets booed by his own fans when coming on.

There's no wonder really it hasn't worked out for him here (so far) 

I honestly believe if he can get a good run in the team or at least enough time from the bench to actually grow into a game. We will then see the best of him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

He had a good game to be fair to him and Brendan has clearly got a point over about pressing the opposition.

He missed a couple but you can let him off that if he shows quality and tries his hardest.

If vardy or anyone else had missed those couple of chances it will be "it's only pre season it's all about fitness" 

How many sitters have we seen Barnes miss yet he gets spoken about like he's the future of English football. And gets a free ride because he's young up and coming.

There's little over a year difference between them

He had a shocking season off the back of a solid pre season last year.

Hope it's not another false dawn but get the impression one moment of magic where he can come on and hit the winner in a tight game and he'll become a cult hero with everything forgiven lol

Not really buying into this.

Since when did fans have to respect anything other than what they see in a competition game?

I mean, we can trust Brendan in his assessment, but that doesn't mean we have to respect the player because of a decent work out in training. 

• Sad 1

We all saw what he is capable of during his time at Man City. I know it's easier to score goals when you have top quality players around you, but his goals to games ratio there was incredible. A lot of the problems he's having here come down to lack of confidence and lack of game time. I think he still has the potential to be Vardy's long term replacement but in the short term I think a loan to a top level Championship club would be the best move for him. Send him to a team expected to push for promotion or a playoff place. A team expected to score lots of goals. His confidence will come flooding back and he'll get much needed game time.

He seems very much a confidence player. When he scores and it's going right, he keeps the momentum going. 

I don't think he's a bad player at all, he just hasn't showed his ability for us when it has mattered. His finishing in pre season has been good and let's hope that this continues when he gets a chance to play.

• Like 1