Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Iheanacho deserves respect for difficult Leicester City role, says Brendan Rodgers

On 13/08/2019 at 13:36, Ric Flair said:

Kelechi appeared to find a bit of confidence and form in pre-season and then got zero minutes in the last friendly vs Atalanta and was left on the bench vs Wolves when we were devoid of anything going forward. I know it's not easy for Rodgers but if he is going to get anything out of Iheanacho he's got to harness any modicum of confidence the player has and try and kick start him. The longer he isn't used at all and that will evaporate once again to the point where we have a defunct player again and theoretically no out and out striker as backup to Vardy.

I genuinely wonder if Rodgers didn't play him at the KP because of the boos he'd get if he was subbed on, which would do wonders for his confidence, especially for his first game.

At least Stamford Bridge would be less hostile.

2 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

I genuinely wonder if Rodgers didn't play him at the KP because of the boos he'd get if he was subbed on, which would do wonders for his confidence, especially for his first game.

At least Stamford Bridge would be less hostile.

It's possible. I honestly don't see how he would have affected that game against such a packed defense, so the less tactically-aware sections of the terraces would no-doubt have blamed us failing to score on him rather than the rest of our offence, which was toothless on the day. :dunno:

It was the wrong time to bring him in. I think he'll get more joy against a Chelsea side that we've already seen are going to play expansively regardless of opponent, so I hope to see him get half an hour or so at SB.

23 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

It's possible. I honestly don't see how he would have affected that game against such a packed defense, so the less tactically-aware sections of the terraces would no-doubt have blamed us failing to score on him rather than the rest of our offence, which was toothless on the day. :dunno:

It was the wrong time to bring him in. I think he'll get more joy against a Chelsea side that we've already seen are going to play expansively regardless of opponent, so I hope to see him get half an hour or so at SB.

If we need a goal with 20 minutes to go to win or draw the game, he's the last person I'd bring on. I'd sooner have Ghezzal as the number 10 up front. Let's see what he can do in the cup matches first before we trust him, Newcastle could be a good start for him.

8 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

If we need a goal with 20 minutes to go to win or draw the game, he's the last person I'd bring on. I'd sooner have Ghezzal as the number 10 up front. Let's see what he can do in the cup matches first before we trust him, Newcastle could be a good start for him.

For real? I know that response was probably tongue-in-cheek, but A) he's already had plenty of cup run-outs in his time with us and scored regularly, and B) he's the only forward back-up we now have short of hauling Slimani out of cold storage. If not now, when? Are we gonna just sit here and wonder why we're getting zero joy in the closing stages of games until January, while we let him fester and lose any hint of the confidence the tail end of last season / pre-season might have given him? Or should we trust the only other recognised striker in our matchday squad and give him a chance to do what he's paid for? :blink:

I fully expect Kelechi to lead the line in that cup game, but it seems absurd to write off his potential contribution to PL games on the loose basis that he didn't turn up in his 5 minute cameos under Puel.

Besides, if we're going for silly preferences to Iheanacho then mine would be to lump Morgan on as a makeshift striker, because as a paceless hulk he "brings something different" and he scored in back-to-back games last season. :fishing:

40 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yes, but we still can't let him rot on the bench though. At some point either we give him a decent amount of game time and not scraps in hopeless situations or we show him the door.

I was so excited when we signed him - his record for Man C was fantastic.

You've got to say he's been really disappointing.

I'd really hoped, and I still do, that he'd be giving Vardy some serious competition for the no '9' shirt.

I mean Man C insisting on a buy-back clause for him. They must of seen serious talent & real potential?

Shame we ain't (yet:fc:)! 

11 hours ago, That_Dude said:

Yes, but we still can't let him rot on the bench though. At some point either we give him a decent amount of game time and not scraps in hopeless situations or we show him the door.

Sadly, I feel sure that if it wasn't for the initial investment and contract he's on he'd have been shown the door a long time ago.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

For real? I know that response was probably tongue-in-cheek, but A) he's already had plenty of cup run-outs in his time with us and scored regularly, and B) he's the only forward back-up we now have short of hauling Slimani out of cold storage. If not now, when? Are we gonna just sit here and wonder why we're getting zero joy in the closing stages of games until January, while we let him fester and lose any hint of the confidence the tail end of last season / pre-season might have given him? Or should we trust the only other recognised striker in our matchday squad and give him a chance to do what he's paid for? :blink:

I fully expect Kelechi to lead the line in that cup game, but it seems absurd to write off his potential contribution to PL games on the loose basis that he didn't turn up in his 5 minute cameos under Puel.

Besides, if we're going for silly preferences to Iheanacho then mine would be to lump Morgan on as a makeshift striker, because as a paceless hulk he "brings something different" and he scored in back-to-back games last season. :fishing:

You seem to have answered your own question there, although it wasn't 5 minute cameos.  He didn't turn up for 926 mins over 30 PL games last season.

To paraphrase Einstein, what is 'absurd' is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Edited by murphy
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, murphy said:

You seem to have answered your own question there, although it wasn't 5 minute cameos.  He didn't turn up for 926 mins over 30 PL games last season.

To paraphrase Einstein, what is 'absurd' is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Well, we have a different manager now with a different style of play, so it's not really doing the same thing. Otherwise you could make the argument, "What's the point of trying any player again after a manager change due to poor form? Why not just cancel all their contracts and start again?"

If Brendan thinks he can get something from him, then I fully support it.

Edited by danny2997
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, danny2997 said:

Well, we have a different manager now with a different style of play, so it's not really doing the same thing. Otherwise you could make the argument, "What's the point of trying any player again after a manager change due to poor form? Why not just cancel all their contracts and start again?"

If Brendan thinks he can get something from him, then I fully support it.

Rodgers was here for 1/3 of last season, nothing changed and can you think of a player that has been transformed by a managerial change?

Take Silva or Gray.  Both have played under 3 and 4 managers and are still the same players.  Rodgers is not an alchemist.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, murphy said:

Rodgers was here for 1/3 of last season, nothing changed and can you think of a player that has been transformed by a managerial change?

Take Silva or Gray.  Both have played under 3 and 4 managers and are still the same players.  Rodgers is not an alchemist.

If he continues his form from pre season into the league then he's a more than adequate back up striker.

On 16/08/2019 at 22:36, murphy said:

That figure is heavily skewed by the fact that he started in a short run of games towards the start of the season - during which time he got three assists and scored while racking up between 60 and 75 minutes of gametime apiece and generally looked decent. The rest of the season, you'll find that he was coming on at between 70 and 85 minutes except for one or two sporadic starts.

An average of 30 minutes per game over the course of the season is not enough to convince me that he's been given enough of a chance - especially given that Puel's subs were usually woefully late, hence the "5 minute cameo" comment.

Oh, and let's not forget that during most of those run outs, the team as a whole was playing dreadfully, so once again I'm not going to place too much blame on Kelechi's shoulders for, say, the the 4-1 reversal to Palace that sealed Puel's fate, in which Kelechi got 15 minutes to turn the game around, or the farcical match at Spurs when we didn't even bring Vardy on until an hour in, and in which Kelechi managed to still be involved in a very good team goal shortly after coming on.

Not denying he didn't have and miss his chance to cement a place earlier on in that season, but the stats will confirm that of those 926 minutes, a good chunk probably came in 60 minute appearances in 6 or so games (360 minutes). Which means that, in the other 24 games, he played about 15 minutes apiece, usually in games that were either won or beyond us at the time of his introduction. So no, I don't buy this claim that he's crap because he didn't turn those games on their head, not least during peak Puelball from November to February.

Edited by OntarioFox

I would have him and Perez,competing for that 2nd striker role ..but to be fair one has to to be given the first run out & chance.Perez has new buy was handed rightly that Batton,and should carry it,2-4 games longer.Though I would prefer to see earlier time in Nacho being subbed on ,if either Perez or even Vardy are not cutting it on the day..!!

Vardy will always be my nr1, but for our future,I wouldn't kick up a fuss,if by the EOS, the front pairing ends up being  Nacho & Perez. That would mean they have took up the front line a notch or 2.

and not Vardy falling off his high performance stool..!!

44 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Really beginning to feel for him, he gets absolutely no chance in this team and when he does come on for 5 minutes, he's ridiculed for not scoring or assisting.

Why haven't we loaned him out if we cannot use him?

We are two games into a season in which I would hope we'll play about 45 games given cup runs. To make conclusions he won't be used in any of those is just stupid.

If you loan out Iheanacho now, who plays up front when Vardy needs a rest or is injured? There are far too many people here that have no sense of squad depth, and yet will complain about it when it bites us in the arse.

59 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

We are two games into a season in which I would hope we'll play about 45 games given cup runs. To make conclusions he won't be used in any of those is just stupid.

If you loan out Iheanacho now, who plays up front when Vardy needs a rest or is injured? There are far too many people here that have no sense of squad depth, and yet will complain about it when it bites us in the arse.

It's not just "two games" though is it, he's barely been used in all his time here. He gets dragged on for small periods and expected to perform miracles, is it any wonder his confidence is totally shot?

And I understand perfectly about our squad depth, I understand we cannot loan him out now as we have no real alternatives... my worry is that if we really don't want to use him then why haven't we addressed this in the transfer window and given him an opportunity to get game time elsewhere. No doubt he will feature in the cup but we really need to work on bringing him on more often, otherwise he'll be thrown into a cup game with no minutes under his belt, he won't perform and everyone will go back to slating him and suggesting he's the biggest waste of money this club has ever spent.

I think Nacho will play in all of our league cup games so hopefully we progress in the competition. Maybe some of the earlier FA cup rounds too and as we get deeper into the season I’m sure we’ll see him appearing fairly regularly when Vardy requires a rest. 

• 2 months later...

Omg. That is truly awful. You have to feel for the guy, confidence is probably shot and then this happens. He seems popular within the squad and club by all accounts and I hope that in keeping with our reputation as a family everyone rallies around him and gives him all the support he is going to need at this tragic time. What a time for this to happen given the emotions that must be running high at this of all weekends. 

Regardless of what opinions we have of him as a player we should all remember that this is a very young man who is going to be devastated by such a tragic loss of one of his closest friends in such tragic circumstances and next time he pulls on the shirt (whenever that may be) we should show our solidarity by giving him our full support

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 28/07/2019 at 13:28, StriderHiryu said:

Nacho needs his “moment” to win the fans over... coming on to bag a last minute or equaliser.

It’s easy to understand why fans generally groan when he comes on but it can all change very quickly. Many were largely ambivalent over Jamie Vardy for the longest time before he started clicking. 

And sometimes it’s just not meant to be. Every time I see Kramaric play for Croatia I find it hard to believe he’s the same player that showed glimpses but often looked lost for us. But he’s gone on to be a really good player. 

Think he just had that moment.

And check out some of the embarrassing posts in this thread.

4 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Think he just had that moment.

And check out some of the embarrassing posts in this thread.

I hope so!

The guy definitely has talent. I suspect with the crazy schedule coming up he’ll get a lot more game time. Now’s his chance to shine! There was talk of him going out on loan but if he plays like that, not only does he stay, he could become an important member of the first team squad.