Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Iheanacho deserves respect for difficult Leicester City role, says Brendan Rodgers

55 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

It’s easy to understand why fans generally groan when he comes on but it can all change very quickly. Many were largely ambivalent over Jamie Vardy for the longest time before he started clicking. 

During the lean spell in Vardy's early career with us, we could see how much effort he was putting in, how hard he was trying.

Iheanacho seems a reactive player rather than proactive. To me, he doesn't show the same level of effort as Vardy did back then.

We can only hope he turns thing around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

During the lean spell in Vardy's early career with us, we could see how much effort he was putting in, how hard he was trying.

Iheanacho seems a reactive player rather than proactive. To me, he doesn't show the same level of effort as Vardy did back then.

Vardy got plenty of stick in his early days. After he gave away that late pen against Boro he was completely written off. Not having it that everyone was still behind him because he was a 'trier'

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

How many players from African nations can you say bust a gut like Vardy? They are different types of players, they have a more relaxed style. Vardy came from the bottom, if he doesn't give every last ounce of effort he wouldn't be good enough for the Prem. The comparison is daft.

It's all about game management and making the right runs, saving energy where required. Not everyone can run like Vardy. It has to work as an XI on the pitch. Let's see how players develop under Rodgers. Like a player or not, doesn't harm supporting your team, and that includes every player.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

How many players from African nations can you say bust a gut like Vardy? They are different types of players, they have a more relaxed style. Vardy came from the bottom, if he doesn't give every last ounce of effort he wouldn't be good enough for the Prem. The comparison is daft.

It's all about game management and making the right runs, saving energy where required. Not everyone can run like Vardy. It has to work as an XI on the pitch. Let's see how players develop under Rodgers. Like a player or not, doesn't harm supporting your team, and that includes every player.

Drogba, Essien, Ndidi. There have been some African players that are totally beasts and do give everything. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is banded about a lot about Ihenacho - that he is lazy, but the stats don't back that up. When he comes onto the pitch he presses as much as everyone else does, I'll have to dig them out but his average number of sprints and distance run for the time he is on the pitch is no worse than anyone else. The goal against Liverpool at home last season came about because he chased down Alison and he won a penalty against Brighton through being proactive. In preseason already he's been pressing from the front as soon as he comes on.

I will say though that his general body language lets him down. Even if he presses a lot on the pitch, his general demeanor makes him look disinterested even when I don't think that's necessarily the case. In that case he's just a bit unlucky that he comes across as a miserable person, even if he might not be that way at all! Some people just don't naturally smile, and Nacho often unwittingly has a "screw face!"

Anyway I wish the best for every Leicester player as it benefits the club. Whether or not Nacho can fulfill his potential at Leicester I don't know, but I genuinely hope he does. I always thought ht was purchased to be the long term successor to Vardy and it is still possible he could become that, because can be a clinical finisher. What he needs IMO is first a moment to get the fans on his side such as an important goal, and then he needs to go on a bit of a scoring streak or run. He already is on a goal scoring run, but he was on a run in preseason last season too but couldn't turn it into league goals. Hopefully this time round he comes on and bags a few! I do think that Rodgers is probably the best possible coach for someone like him, so he has a chance.

I think he suffers a bit from the Ozil syndrome. Similarly, Ozil presses and makes runs a heck of a lot more than you think - it's just a languid style which doesn't endear him to English fans.

I've defended and been critical of Nacho in the past, but I think as has been suggested we give him a clean slate this season. He has as much right to that as Harvey does, given their age and roles in the squad.

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Nacho needs his “moment” to win the fans over... coming on to bag a last minute or equaliser.

It’s easy to understand why fans generally groan when he comes on but it can all change very quickly. Many were largely ambivalent over Jamie Vardy for the longest time before he started clicking. 

And sometimes it’s just not meant to be. Every time I see Kramaric play for Croatia I find it hard to believe he’s the same player that showed glimpses but often looked lost for us. But he’s gone on to be a really good player. 

I agree with what you say about it taking a little over a full season before Vardy clicked in the Championship but Iheanacho has had longer to do so now, albeit at the next level up - although it remains debatable as to whether or not he has been given the same amount of opportunities as Vardy was in his early days here to shine. Kramaric was hardly given a look in here though, then once Pearson was sacked, that was it! Nacho has had more chances to impress than Kramaric ever did IMO and has looked woeful in the main whenever he has been on the pitch! That miss of his towards the end of last season at the Etihad that effectively handed Man City the title, although at the same time slightly suspicious, summed hsi time up here thus far. However it appears Rodgers may persevere with him for a while to come yet so we will have to see. 

An early goal or two will do him wonders. He's in a very similar position to this time last year. He'd performed well and looked sharp in pre-season and had racked up a good goalscoring tally in those games. Remember he had a brilliant chance at Old Trafford in the first game last season when standing in for Vardy - he made a good run through and shot for the bottom right but fired just wide. I was willing him to bury it and to build on his pre-season form. 

This time around he needs to kick on and get involved with some positive play, goals and assists from the off. Hopefully the added creativity with Maddison a season wiser Tielemans back, Barnes coming through, Albrighton playing well and the addition Perez help him to do that.

20 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

So far this pre season has showed that a loan to a lower league would do wonders for him, he can score against lower league, we already know that.

What rodgers will do when it comes to picking a player to play up front next time vardy isnt on the pitch is up to him my feeling is tho is perez is the desired #2.  Especially as he confirmed he sees him as a striker first and foremost.

You won’t find a Lower league club who want to take a risk on his wages. That’s the harsh reality 

20 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

'They.'  As in all African players?  Clearly  race is a major factor in how people run.  All African nations produce players with similar characteristics.  It's the same with the English, hence Vardy is very like Peter Crouch, Callum Wilson and Harry Kane

Edited by majaco
Strengthen point
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

At Man City, he was scoring goals for fun coming off the bench due to the supply he was getting from great players like De Bruyne, Silva & Sterling.

Not saying our attack is on the level of Man City’s, but surely it’s good enough to create some clear cut chances for Iheanacho which is what he thrives on.

Maybe Iheanacho can play a similar role for us, coming off the bench to poach some goals with the likes of Maddison, Tielemans, Perez and hopefully a new winger supplying him. 

• Like 2

Given who Rodgers got Sturridge to shine - there’s hope he can produce the same trick with Nacho.

I’m sure he’ll have a part to play this season, because that forward switch with 15-20 minutes to go is becoming a more and more important substitution in the modern game.

1 hour ago, majaco said:

'They.'  As in all African players?  Clearly  race is a major factor in how people run.  All African nations produce players with similar characteristics.  It's the same with the English, hence Vardy is very like Peter Crouch, Callum Wilson and Harry Kane

Exactly

23 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Nacho needs his “moment” to win the fans over... coming on to bag a last minute or equaliser.

And sometimes it’s just not meant to be. Every time I see Kramaric play for Croatia I find it hard to believe he’s the same player that showed glimpses but often looked lost for us. But he’s gone on to be a really good player. 

Kramaric came in at a time we badly needed points as safety was slipping away from us. Then the most dramatic sports story/turnaround of our time kicked in and Kramaric was gone. He timing was just highly unfortunate. We threw the baby out with the bathwater with Andrej really.

Nacho has been with us in a non relegation threatened time. His numbers ought to be a lot more than they are. I would bank on Kramaric being a far superior player if he had 2 seasons under his belt with us.

I have respect for the role he plays I just wish he was better at it. He surely needs to play more, or at least for longer if he's ever going to find his straps. But when can we afford to do it? We're chained to results so his chances are slim. Now we have Perez shouldn't we be thinking of loaning him? Even a short term loan has got to be better than playing the occasional 5 minutes? He's still got time on his side and we invested 20 mil in him. He hasn't been "taking his chances" but have we been doing enough to help him take them? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is banded about a lot about Ihenacho - that he is lazy, but the stats don't back that up. When he comes onto the pitch he presses as much as everyone else does, I'll have to dig them out but his average number of sprints and distance run for the time he is on the pitch is no worse than anyone else. The goal against Liverpool at home last season came about because he chased down Alison and he won a penalty against Brighton through being proactive. In preseason already he's been pressing from the front as soon as he comes on.

I will say though that his general body language lets him down. Even if he presses a lot on the pitch, his general demeanor makes him look disinterested even when I don't think that's necessarily the case. In that case he's just a bit unlucky that he comes across as a miserable person, even if he might not be that way at all! Some people just don't naturally smile, and Nacho often unwittingly has a "screw face!"

Anyway I wish the best for every Leicester player as it benefits the club. Whether or not Nacho can fulfill his potential at Leicester I don't know, but I genuinely hope he does. I always thought ht was purchased to be the long term successor to Vardy and it is still possible he could become that, because can be a clinical finisher. What he needs IMO is first a moment to get the fans on his side such as an important goal, and then he needs to go on a bit of a scoring streak or run. He already is on a goal scoring run, but he was on a run in preseason last season too but couldn't turn it into league goals. Hopefully this time round he comes on and bags a few! I do think that Rodgers is probably the best possible coach for someone like him, so he has a chance.

I really like your posts and what you say is always interesting. 

So I'm looking forward to your statistics showing the effort Iheanacho puts in because I do not see the effort. If you take the matches he plays he'll often stand around pointing the finger for others to chase. This was fully highlighted towards the end of last season, both under Puel and Rodgers (both who are brilliant with young players).

Not that statistics actually mean much, because they probably wont show where his chasing down and runs actually helped the team. When I have seen him move the runs are usually late and with poor effort and intent, achieving little or nothing. His reading of the game is atrocious. 

Against Liverpool we were holding on to a terrific 1-1 draw having played our hearts out, but he came on and stood around on the half way line whilst our knackered players were chasing and harassing their players. He did nothing to help. I was utterly disgusted with his attitude. In so many matches he came on with minutes left and I saw little effort from him, in fact his only contribution was brain fart offsides. 

A few goals in pre season friendlies against lower opposition does little to show me he's now a P/L player. He's done this before and he hasn't carried it into the season.

At Manchester City he was sold by another manager who is also brilliant developing new players. So if you add Pep to Puel and Rodgers, plus his national manager lambasting his attitude, there is no question of a pattern building.

As for Vardy in his first season, whatever him failings I saw a player who tried his heart out. I've never seen that with Iheanacho.

And when you factor in that Vardy cost £1M and was always a risk buy from the non league and Iheanacho cost £25M and was heralded as a finished, classy, P/L striker you cannot compare the two players.

Like you I want EVERY Leicester City player to succeed, but I can't support ones who don't try.

In my view, Iheanacho will have to completely change his attitude if he is to succeed as a P/L player. Otherwise he'll end up at Bury with another lazy expensive player we were glad to get shot of, namely a J. Beckford.

• Like 4