Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I think north and south could only be extended if they were knocked down and rebuilt with new foundations 

So it'll be 8k on the east stand taking it to 40k, no way will the north or south be done.

3 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think the stadium was designed so that the east stand could easily be expanded to take total capacity to 40k. There is space for the north and south stands to be extended, but, as others have said, the foundations under them would have to be upgraded first.

The east stand could well be increased by 8k but we have to be realistic and look at the new training ground to understand that the design of the extension will be top notch in terms of architecture just like top wanted that to be. I'd hedge a bet that they could add 2k worth of seats into the corners with enough structural input so as to take it to 10k total. I think someone on here has said it would just be under villas max seating so 42k sounds about right. Can't frickin wait!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, red5 said:

So it'll be 8k on the east stand taking it to 40k, no way will the north or south be done.

I'm not sure the end stands would have to be demolished to be extended. It could be possible to improve the foundations without demolishing the whole thing, perhaps by doing it in stages with temporary structures to take loads, for example. It wouldn't be as straightforward as the east stand, but it's certainly not impossible. Anyway, it will be just the east stand for now. It will be interesting to see what our average gates will be when it's done. I won't be surprised if we're still selling out every match straight away.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I'm not sure the end stands would have to be demolished to be extended. It could be possible to improve the foundations without demolishing the whole thing, perhaps by doing it in stages with temporary structures to take loads, for example. It wouldn't be as straightforward as the east stand, but it's certainly not impossible. Anyway, it will be just the east stand for now. It will be interesting to see what our average gates will be when it's done. I won't be surprised if we're still selling out every match straight away.

usually related to what's happening on the pitch ……..

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Really? New Grounds/extensions generally see an increase straight away.

We just got relegated from the Premier League and our first Season in our new ground we were averaging 30k a game in the Championship. 

We will sellout week in week out. 

People arent going at the minute because single tickets remain for a number of games. People want to go with their mates etc. 

Edit: on the back of the above our marketing team would need to be clever with the way they sold Season Tickets too. 

Tie fans down for 2 or 3 years worth of a season ticket rather than just one. Offer the direct debit scheme out etc..  that way we would fill it.

I was speaking more with regard to selling out ....... if we are languishing in the lower reaches of the PL and not playing well then we won’t sell out 42k ..... just my opinion .....

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I was speaking more with regard to selling out ....... if we are languishing in the lower reaches of the PL and not playing well then we won’t sell out 42k ..... just my opinion .....

10,000 more seats would mean approx. 7,000 or maybe more season tickets available (I'm not sure what the rules are but I'm assuming the number of season tickets being capped at around 2/3 of capacity).

Those would sell out without doubt, so in reality it'll only be around 3,000 seats available each game which I think would sell out pretty much every game whilst we're in the Premier League. 

6 hours ago, red5 said:

Can someone confirm that the north and south sides can be extended, I've always understood since the stadium was built that only the east side can be extended and by 8,000.

All of those stands appear to be constructed in the same way. A simple expansion added to the back of existing seating would be basically a separate structure with a new roof (see Cardiff City expansion), so no real reason why that couldn't be done on 3 sides.

I have no idea what is planned but knowing Top like we do, it will nothing like Cardiff and could me much more complex.

3 minutes ago, Vestan Pance said:

All of those stands appear to be constructed in the same way. A simple expansion added to the back of existing seating would be basically a separate structure with a new roof (see Cardiff City expansion), so no real reason why that couldn't be done on 3 sides.

I have no idea what is planned but knowing Top like we do, it will nothing like Cardiff and could me much more complex.

Yeah the original plan 6/7 years ago was very similar looking to what Cardiffs expansion was like, it will be much more impressive now

15 minutes ago, Snik-Snok said:

10,000 more seats would mean approx. 7,000 or maybe more season tickets available (I'm not sure what the rules are but I'm assuming the number of season tickets being capped at around 2/3 of capacity).

Those would sell out without doubt, so in reality it'll only be around 3,000 seats available each game which I think would sell out pretty much every game whilst we're in the Premier League. 

3000 additional matchday tickets would mean 7000 in total wouldn't it? 

41 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

3000 additional matchday tickets would mean 7000 in total wouldn't it? 

Yes, I meant approx. 3000 additional tickets, on top of those currently available (after season tickets, aways fans, corporates etc), but they are already selling out each game.

Selling 7,000 seats to non season ticket holders per game, of which only around 3,000 will be in additional to what we currently sell out each game, should be easily achievable, surely. 

This is assuming that a) the number of new season tickets available is around 7,000 (may in reality be a bit less), and b) those season tickets do indeed sell out. 

4 hours ago, jonthefox said:

I’d say so. A second tier will give a prime view , so expect most of them to be hospitality seats. 

A new development would likely to involve some corporate seating etc. in the east stand, but rather than those being very high up in the new tier, I'd have thought they might make those facilities and lounges etc. linked to sections of the lower tier, and bump up the prices dramatically in those blocks. 

That survey a few months ago was basically focusing on which areas they could get away with bumping up the prices in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jace said:

There seems to be a lot of incorrect myths on here so will clear up a few questions about the expansion. Firstly I see a lot of supporters saying some stands can be expanded some can't, the truth is any football stadium can be expanded, the King Power Stadium is easier than most. The east stand originally did have footings set in place for another steel framed tier to be connected, the north and south stands didn't but that isn't really an issue the whole stadium can easily be modified and new footings added. The west stand of course would the least favourable and unlikely due to attachment of the club offices, halls corporate boxes etc. It would be extremely unlikely that any existing stand would require demolishing and the latest drawings that are known that were released in early 2018 only required the removal of the West stand roof. Originally when Vichai and Top purchased the club the initial plan was to add a small additional tier to the east stand and the family stand, once we had the success of the title win in 2016 this changed the plans for a larger more impressive redevelopment of the east stand. Why this has taken so long is due to the purchase of the building behind of the east stand, a smaller tier could have been built by now without the requirement of the land behind but the owners wanted to look longer term for the clubs future and expand the stadium properly and acquire the land behind. As far as I'm aware the building behind the east stand can be purchased from this year by the club, I maybe wrong on this and I'm sure someone on here will know more about that issue than me but that was originally the plan. The drawings that we saw in 2018 I wouldn't be suprised are revised since the helicopter crash as I would expect the Vichai memorial garden to stay. Hopefully we will get a proper update soon and the plans for the stadium are relatively similar to the 2018 drawings because they did look fantastic. If anyone didn't see them itll involve an additional upper tier to the east stand with a large curved roof constructed around the north, east and south stands wrapping around the exterior of each stand leaving only the west stand looking the same to how the stadium looks now.

Firstly, not trying to be pedantic, but....

I assume you are in the know?

Regarding the stadium itself and from a structural perspective then adding on circa 10'000+ seating tier is anything but easy, and very disruptive. Steelwork wise the KP was done as a cheap model/easy design. The issue is that the KP is symmetrically structural with the connecting cantilevered columns tied horizontally at foundation level and roof. You need to consider that any extension sets the stadium foundation line further out (assume 20 meters). This will be tied into the existing stadium by some method. You also need to factor in that 10'000 seats is like the kop at Anfield, so construction length and phasing in given site constraints could cause headaches. 

Saying a smaller tier could've been built by now is, well, I doubt it. The planners would've required an environmental impact assessment and they would've no doubt targeted things like limited parking and access constraints etc. 

The building to the rear I assume has been purchased by now. Itk's have said that planning app is imminent which I assume to be a reserved matters and would no doubt gain approval by late spring/early summer. They would need to own that for planning consent.

Design wise the roof doesn't make sense for the size stand increase of +10'000. The height difference/set back and increased angle to the new roof would make that impossible. Due to the current bold/sharp steelwork look that the KP posses then I'm fairly certain that the steel columns would be well thought into the design otherwise the existing stadium will end up looking out of sync. I would also think that the club would look to seek to clad the facades of the north/south stands, preferable in glazing and generally tidy this up. Maybe elevators too! Who knows. 

I'm an architect btw with a degree in structural mechanics. Again, sorry if I've come across as pedantic! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jace said:

There seems to be a lot of incorrect myths on here so will clear up a few questions about the expansion. Firstly I see a lot of supporters saying some stands can be expanded some can't, the truth is any football stadium can be expanded, the King Power Stadium is easier than most. The east stand originally did have footings set in place for another steel framed tier to be connected, the north and south stands didn't but that isn't really an issue the whole stadium can easily be modified and new footings added. The west stand of course would the least favourable and unlikely due to attachment of the club offices, halls corporate boxes etc. It would be extremely unlikely that any existing stand would require demolishing and the latest drawings that are known that were released in early 2018 only required the removal of the West stand roof. Originally when Vichai and Top purchased the club the initial plan was to add a small additional tier to the east stand and the family stand, once we had the success of the title win in 2016 this changed the plans for a larger more impressive redevelopment of the east stand. Why this has taken so long is due to the purchase of the building behind of the east stand, a smaller tier could have been built by now without the requirement of the land behind but the owners wanted to look longer term for the clubs future and expand the stadium properly and acquire the land behind. As far as I'm aware the building behind the east stand can be purchased from this year by the club, I maybe wrong on this and I'm sure someone on here will know more about that issue than me but that was originally the plan. The drawings that we saw in 2018 I wouldn't be suprised are revised since the helicopter crash as I would expect the Vichai memorial garden to stay. Hopefully we will get a proper update soon and the plans for the stadium are relatively similar to the 2018 drawings because they did look fantastic. If anyone didn't see them itll involve an additional upper tier to the east stand with a large curved roof constructed around the north, east and south stands wrapping around the exterior of each stand leaving only the west stand looking the same to how the stadium looks now.

A lot of incorrect myths, a bit of tautology and very few paragraphs.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Firstly, not trying to be pedantic, but....

I assume you are in the know?

Regarding the stadium itself and from a structural perspective then adding on circa 10'000+ seating tier is anything but easy, and very disruptive. Steelwork wise the KP was done as a cheap model/easy design. The issue is that the KP is symmetrically structural with the connecting cantilevered columns tied horizontally at foundation level and roof. You need to consider that any extension sets the stadium foundation line further out (assume 20 meters). This will be tied into the existing stadium by some method. You also need to factor in that 10'000 seats is like the kop at Anfield, so construction length and phasing in given site constraints could cause headaches. 

Saying a smaller tier could've been built by now is, well, I doubt it. The planners would've required an environmental impact assessment and they would've no doubt targeted things like limited parking and access constraints etc. 

The building to the rear I assume has been purchased by now. Itk's have said that planning app is imminent which I assume to be a reserved matters and would no doubt gain approval by late spring/early summer. They would need to own that for planning consent.

Design wise the roof doesn't make sense for the size stand increase of +10'000. The height difference/set back and increased angle to the new roof would make that impossible. Due to the current bold/sharp steelwork look that the KP posses then I'm fairly certain that the steel columns would be well thought into the design otherwise the existing stadium will end up looking out of sync. I would also think that the club would look to seek to clad the facades of the north/south stands, preferable in glazing and generally tidy this up. Maybe elevators too! Who knows. 

I'm an architect btw with a degree in structural mechanics. Again, sorry if I've come across as pedantic! 

Na not at all it's good to hear from architects perspective on it because the plans have been kept very secretive for years, I'm not an architect but have a lot of experience in graphic design and auto cad, I did work experience at an architectural firm and football stadiums have always been a big interest to me.

My source of this info was directly from someone high up at the club who is involved in the development. Did you see the drawing released in 2018? From what I remember the club asked foxestalk to take it down from the forum which is why I'm hesitant to post it on here again but can easily be found on google.

There is also another image available which shows the original concept of a smaller additional tier to the east stand and family stand, the image is very basic and I don't know if it is genuine but it matches exactly to what I advised the original idea was, if it was genuine then I doubt the idea got very far.

There are a lot of images still going round of the Bede Island plans from the late 90s if you've seen them? Structurally they look very similar to the main stands of the Riverside and Pride Park it was a shame that was never built 

Edited by Jace
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jace said:

Na not at all it's good to hear from architects perspective on it because the plans have been kept very secretive for years, I'm not an architect but have a lot of experience in graphic design and auto cad, I did work experience at an architectural firm and football stadiums have always been a big interest to me. My source of this info was directly from someone high up at the club who is involved in the development. Did you see the drawing released in 2018? From what I remember the club asked foxestalk to take it down from the forum which is why I'm hesitant to post it on here again but can easily be found on google. Theres also another image available which shows the original concept of a smaller additional tier to the east stand and family stand, the image is very basic and I don't know if it is genuine but it matches exactly to what I advised the original idea was, if it was genuine then I doubt the idea got very far. Theres also a lot of images still going round of the Bede Island plans from the late 90s if you've seen them? Structurally they look very similar to the main stands of the Riverside and Pride Park it was a shame that was never built 

Nope, I only dared venture into posting on here properly a few months ago even though I've been stalking the site for years, especially transfer periods. Definitely in the know then! From one autocad friend to another, I hate the thing with a passion and theres nothing worse than spending 7.5 hours a day hatching things that consultants explode... Re the drawings I haven't but I have searched on Google images and stuff, just not been lucky to see it I guess or find it. I'll keep trying though. Good speaking to you chap.

1 hour ago, walkerleeds said:

Any chance of getting them to add a bit of safe standing in the lower half of the Kop, creating a modern day double decker feel/ look? 

How mint would it be if the away fans were in a split section similar to at the Etihad in one corner and then you had a new Kop next to them with the lower half safe standing. Would really create an atmosphere in the ground for the team to buzz off. 

I agree with previous posts, I'm too busy to attend every game. I run a business and I have obligations that will always preceed football..... But for me, I go to a match to spend time with friends and sitting next to stinky Pete on my own, separated from said friends don't work for me so I watch it elsewhere. Sooner its done the better as I'll go more often