Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bezzanator89

Demarai Gray

45 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

We were at our most attacking after he’d been subbed off tbh.

You are correct, we were definitely. 

However I would say for Gray that after he came off the team had a known set up of 4141. When Gray was on the pitch, in the first half and until him being subbed. I still couldn't tell you what formation we played. Or what role Maddison was supposed to do. Kelechi was he a striker or winger. It is easy to blame Gray, but we were all poor, Kasper great penalty save and then his distribution again, volley to Chilwell straight out of play. Gray was not helped by a poor tactical system and a complete lack of forward passing or movement to receive the ball from any player. Watch any moment until this substitution there was 0 movement from any player. Another alarming point, we had one minute to go in the first half we had the ball and passed it amongst the defenders until half time. 

We were better when Gray came off but I think there are reasons why. He looked great against Watford + one of our better players tonight (that is not saying much I agree) 

I don’t think Gray was the problem against Brighton, Ndidi was poor and Mendy rarely drives forward, we miss Ricardo massively and whilst Justin is ok he doesn’t seem to push on and always turns back, the whole team has been pretty poor in the opening 2 games apart from Schmeichel. Maddison has done nothing and Gray seemed more active than him...

Edited by NewquayFox

10 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

There’s no point in Gray being ‘fine’ or ‘working hard’ - the fact is yet again that he has been given the chance and he simply hasn’t taken it. This is not hanging someone out to dry, this is accepting that it’s not working for the lad when he starts. He is an impact sub for us and after all this time I’m afraid that’s as good as it’s going to get. 

Well it is. He was better than most last night yet he’s still being picked out for stick. 

• Like 1

Gray was good defensively, and his attacking role was interesting in the first half, but he was worse than average in the second half and killed a lot of promising moves.

Predictably, he once again does not build off his good substitute performance. I'm tired of him. If we can get any sort of halfway decent money for him, he has to go. If we replaced him with Eze I'd be ecstatic.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Well it is. He was better than most last night yet he’s still being picked out for stick. 

He wasn’t any better than anyone. He was dispossessed more than any other player on the pitch.The reason there’s a focus on him is because of the number of opportunities he has failed to grasp. On paper he has all the attributes and he shows bits when he comes on as a sub (he was good against Watford) but time and time again, when he starts, he has no influence. Last night was classic Gray. 

2 hours ago, Bert said:

He was better than Maddison, Vardy and Iheanacho lol 

Iheanacho was better than him imo. Gray was good defensively, but offensively, he was more involved than Iheanacho, but he never did anything with the possession. Iheanacho's through balls at least tested Brighton's defence, like when Lamptey fouled Vardy outside the box to stop him from reaching Iheanacho's ball. Iheanacho also improved the tempo of our game whenever he did get on the ball.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Iheanacho was better than him imo. Gray was good defensively, but offensively, he was more involved than Iheanacho, but he never did anything with the possession. Iheanacho's through balls at least tested Brighton's defence, like when Lamptey fouled Vardy outside the box to stop him from reaching Iheanacho's ball. Iheanacho also improved the tempo of our game whenever he did get on the ball.

Id agree with that.

Not that it matters, the fact everyone else were also garbage shouldn’t be used to mask the fact that for the umpteenth time Gray has followed up a promising display with a totally toothless one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Gray was good defensively, and his attacking role was interesting in the first half, but he was worse than average in the second half and killed a lot of promising moves.

Predictably, he once again does not build off his good substitute performance. I'm tired of him. If we can get any sort of halfway decent money for him, he has to go. If we replaced him with Eze I'd be ecstatic.

..wouldn't that be great!!!

Probably not the best game to judge Demarai.on but he was part of a team who underperformed and due to previous history is going to be picked out.

I'm not one for getting on new players backs i think everyone deserves time and chances to prove themselves but i am sure he has been here long enough for us to be able to say he just isn't good enough for our side and needs to move on,for his own career more than anything.

6 hours ago, Bert said:

He was better than Maddison, Vardy and Iheanacho lol 

He wasn’t any better than Iheanacho, he was as ineffective as Maddison and it’s fair to say you can’t compare Vardy’s performance to anyone, such is the unique role he plays. 

Arguing in favour of X player over another on yesterday's display is slightly desperate as they were basically all awful, though I do feel like they were largely set up to fail by Rodgers anyway. Gray's had enough chances though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

He wasn’t any better than Iheanacho, he was as ineffective as Maddison and it’s fair to say you can’t compare Vardy’s performance to anyone, such is the unique role he plays. 

And that is exactly how people will try and manipulate things when they have an agenda with a player. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bert said:

And that is exactly how people will try and manipulate things when they have an agenda with a player. 

Or alternatively this discussion could be seen as a demonstration of how people manipulate things when they favour a player.

Whilst gray may not be the answer, he changed the game on Saturday then did ok last night. Without question, he was one of our better performers in the first half (i know that wasn't difficult but even so) last night. Worked hard throughout, defended well and at least attempted to beat a man, nobody else did that! 

Like i say, he may not be a long term answer but saying he was poor last night or toothless etc is nonsense. Far worse performers 

Guest An Sionnach
14 minutes ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

Whilst gray may not be the answer, he changed the game on Saturday then did ok last night. Without question, he was one of our better performers in the first half (i know that wasn't difficult but even so) last night. Worked hard throughout, defended well and at least attempted to beat a man, nobody else did that! 

Like i say, he may not be a long term answer but saying he was poor last night or toothless etc is nonsense. Far worse performers 

Pretty sure he would do OK with Birmingham City but a top premiership team? Not a chance.

1 hour ago, funkyrobot said:

Or alternatively this discussion could be seen as a demonstration of how people manipulate things when they favour a player.

Possibly. But I don’t favour Gray. He’s been poor for a lot of his games here. But yesterday he was the best of a bad bunch. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bert said:

Possibly. But I don’t favour Gray. He’s been poor for a lot of his games here. But yesterday he was the best of a bad bunch. 

Agree to disagree about Gray. I thought Soyuncu was our best outfield player by a distance. Statistically Gray’s assists and goals for his appearances are significantly lower than Maddison, Iheanacho, Vardy, Albrighton. Every Manager that he’s worked with at LCFC has eventually benched him. I would love him to be a success. A tricky winger that influences the game is what all fans want to see, he just hasn’t delivered for us with any regularity. 

Edited by funkyrobot