Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bezzanator89

Demarai Gray

On 07/05/2020 at 17:30, volpeazzurro said:

Not heard that myself but it's shameful if it's happened. Fans have to accept that players have ambitions and if certain opportunities arise that are financially better and perceived to be helping them to progress, we shouldn't really blame them, I'd do the same.

There is however a right and wrong way of doing things. For me, I still watch his career and wish the best for him. I think he's now ready for another step up personally. I remember him coming back for I think it was a European match and waving to the crowd from a box. He has my full blessing, seemingly a very humble class act in every way. 

Kante turned up to watch us play Burton in the league cup! What’s not to like about him. He’s brilliant. 

• Thanks 1

Here’s a relevant Twitter thread with some estimations of the impact of protests on Covid spread In the US. The numbers quoted do seem fair. The impact in the UK will be much lower than in the US due to various reasons, but some sort of impact is still likely.

Edited by brucey

23 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

I completely understand the protests (I don’t understand the violence towards British police but that’s another matter). 

Someone going into a place packed with people at a time like this is a bad idea regardless of the reasons for it. Especially when they know they can’t distance from their colleagues the next day. It’s nothing to do with being a footballer, doing it in any profession is irresponsible. The players/staff he trains alongside are now exposed. They’re young, fit and should cope with the virus, but will their families? It’s an unnecessary risk to take with others in mind. If Gray feels like it’s worth the risk then absolutely fair play, but he shouldn’t be going training tomorrow or for however long is necessary. Not because a football game might get cancelled, but because he is putting everyone else at risk.

Totally unnecessary dog whistle.

Given the issues at stake, a period of self-isolation or even a testing is well worth it. He's a black person first before a footballer, and (as the saying goes) there but for the grace of..." 

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Given the issues at stake, a period of self-isolation or even a testing is well worth it. He's a black person first before a footballer, and (as the saying goes) there but for the grace of..." 

Didn't Gray play yesterday? Hope that doesn't come back to bite us.

13 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Right, what on Earth are we starting this for? I said it’s a matter I’m not going into. I don’t agree with it but I’m not involved, I’m not a copper either so I don’t need to be bothered. 

Pathetic response. If you think our coolers deserve what they’ve been getting then you’re scum! 

Edit: I’m of mixed heritage so I understand the frustrations of the people but nowhere near to their extent. 

Edited by Leeds Fox
  • Like 1

Whilst peaceful protesting I agree with given we are in the middle of a global pandemic a 50k a week premier league football with his face virtually covered should have more sense than to put himself in harm's way and that of others.

As a regular social media user his message would have reached far greater than to have hidden as another body in the masses. 

Yes he has every right to protest about racism, BUT given his employers have made every effort to protect him from Covid and those around him it's highly irresponsible to put himself in harm's way. The club should ask him to isolate for 7 days now as a sensible precaution. 

On 07/06/2020 at 09:54, Leeds Fox said:

Right, what on Earth are we starting this for? I said it’s a matter I’m not going into. I don’t agree with it but I’m not involved, I’m not a copper either so I don’t need to be bothered. 

Pathetic response. If you think our coolers deserve what they’ve been getting then you’re scum!

Edit: I’m of mixed heritage so I understand the frustrations of the people but nowhere near to their extent. 

More dog-whistling and frankly silly Strawman Argument.

First, what has Gray’s joining of the protest has to do with idiots who attack coppers? In fact, what does race have to do with the attack on cops? Do you think there are no black or brown coppers? Introducing an element that is completely IRRELEVANT to Gray’s participation in the march is blatantly crude dog-whistling, by attempting to conflate disparate things. Meanwhile, it is (to be brutally honest) the most obtuse Strawman Argument to equate support for Gray’s participation in the protest march to support for violence against coppers. Frankly only intellectually-dishonest scum would do that!

Finally, nobody cares about your heritage or color. EVERY decent human being would support what’s right and proper, regardless of race.

Now back to discussing FOOTBALL, and how Gray’s actions may (or may not) impact our beloved FOOTBALL club.

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

More dog-whistling and frankly silly Strawman Argument.

First, what has Gray’s joining of the protest has to do with idiots who attack coppers? In fact, what does race have to do with the attack on cops? Do you think there are no black or brown coppers? Introducing an element that is completely IRRELEVANT to Gray’s participation in the march is blatantly crude dog-whistling, by attempting to conflate disparate things. Meanwhile, it is (to be brutally honest) the most obtuse Strawman Argument to equate support support for Gray’s participation in the protest march to support for violence against coppers. Frankly only intellectually-dishonest scum would do that!

Finally, nobody cares about your heritage or color. EVERY decent human being would support what’s right and proper, regardless of race.

Now back to discussing FOOTBALL, and how Gray’s actions may (or may not) impact our beloved FOOTBALL club.

My original post that you replied to was me saying I agree with the point the protests we’re making, but highlighted an element I didn’t agree with. I didn’t want to provoke anyone and didn’t want a reaction to it. 

My post was in response to the impact that this could have on our club. 

It seems to me that you’re looking for an argument that was never there or that you’re looking for a way to be offended. I didn’t intend that in any way and without specifically looking for it, it wasn’t there. 

I wasn’t using my heritage as a reason to support or not support what’s going on. I said I could sympathise with why it’s going on. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

22 hours ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Whilst peaceful protesting I agree with given we are in the middle of a global pandemic a 50k a week premier league football with his face virtually covered should have more sense than to put himself in harm's way and that of others.

As a regular social media user his message would have reached far greater than to have hidden as another body in the masses. 

Yes he has every right to protest about racism, BUT given his employers have made every effort to protect him from Covid and those around him it's highly irresponsible to put himself in harm's way. The club should ask him to isolate for 7 days now as a sensible precaution. 

But when he’s out in public in many places, he’s just another black person - as are his brothers, sisters, kin, mom and dad (and presumably many of his friends). The great majority of his fellow black citizens are not fortunate enough to be blessed with the talent to dribble around a football (even if aimlessly for the most part lol) and thus be provided with the virtual bubble of protection by virtue of being a celebrity (whatever that means). Good on him that he has chosen to deploy his visibility and the supposed power of his celebrity on this occasion towards a socially-useful cause.

Yes, I completely agree that he should be isolated for the necessary period (or even just tested again), but it’s well worth it (and I would hope that there would be a communal or societal uproar if the club elects to penalize him in any substantive manner). Football as his occupation is terribly important and deserves respect, but will come to an end sooner than most of our own occupations will. Being a black person is not only lifelong but is an EVERYDAY experience for him. 

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

My original post that you replied to was me saying I agree with the point the protests we’re making, but highlighted an element I didn’t agree with. I didn’t want to provoke anyone and didn’t want a reaction to it. 

My post was in response to the impact that this could have on our club. 

It seems to me that you’re looking for an argument that was never there or that you’re looking for a way to be offended. I didn’t intend that in any way and without specifically looking for it, it wasn’t there. 

I wasn’t using my heritage as a reason to support or not support what’s going on. I said I could sympathise with why it’s going on. 

Was not offended in the least bit (just thought the parenthetical bit was unnecessary), until you started imputing my post as support for violence against coppers.

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Was not offended in the least bit (just thought the parenthetical bit was unnecessary), until you started imputing my post as support for violence against coppers.

Probably read between the lines and saw something that wasn’t there. Apologies. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Has anyone got any popcorn?

Sorry, late to this party, so can you get me up to speed?

Who are the coolers?

Is this a slander or praise Demi thread?

Did you get any popcorn?

If so, was is sweet or salty?

• 2 weeks later...

I though Demarai changed the game when he came on. He was a lot more positive than Albrighton and Barnes. How Albrighton is starting ahead of Gray I don’t know. Albrighton didn’t influence the game once today. We need to attack teams like Watford. Not just rely on Vardy to bail us out.

• Like 2

In defence of Albrighton and all our players today I felt we looked rusty, I felt Watford looked rusty and I felt in every game so far they have all looked rusty apart from Man City.

I completely forgot Barnes was on the pitch today but won’t hold it against him as he will soon pick up I am sure. 

Nice to see Demi come on and do well. Also really nice to see him lay the ball off to Albrighton for that shot as in the past he would always have skied it. Maybe he is finally learning. 

Good stuff Demi!

• Like 4

Gray has certainly improved his productivity this season. 4 goal contributions in 434 minutes, that's a goal contribution every 108.5 minutes. Compared to last season, 1 goal cont every 395.6 minutes. Still not enough to be at our level, unless he can bring yesterday's performance consistently to every match.