Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Guiza

Destinations that you just 'don't get'

2 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

My answer would be Dubai. I have never been so it's probably unfair for me to say that but it's also somewhere I would never want to go. 

Looks very nice but I don't want to be worrying that the slip of a swear word may get me stoned to death. 

Hideous place. I've had the misfortune to have to spend a considerable amount of time their with my work. Vacuous, culturally and moralely bereft. Clean though (only because you wont see the migrant workers and how they live.. Also not Singapore clean!), some nice hotels and shops. That's kind of it. 

As they say though opinions are like arse holes. Everyone has one and they're all pretty much as full of shit as each other. 

For instance I've seen places like Venice, Barcelona (I'm here at the moment from my own choice again) , Rome and New York slagged off in this thread. Fair enough but in my opinion all great cities. I think however like anywhere if you only have the expected run of the mill tourist experience, ticking off the supposed highlights, then any travel experience will feel mediocre and a tad disappointing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Most who slag it off openly admit they’ve never been? I personally don’t spend my hard earned cash on visiting a place that seems to bill “being clean” as a top selling point. Each to their own though.

Lol. That is certainty not it's top selling point. And without stating the unbelievably obvious, if you've never been, how can you slag it off?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jonthefox said:

Sunny beach in Bulgaria. Got back last week. Never again.

Friend at work went couple of week's ago with very low expectations.  Came back and even though they said it was a little edgy at times in certain places but they would consider going again, mainly because it was so cheap.

25 minutes ago, Livid said:

New York just doesn't do it for me.

OK, Livid. No need to get so angry. :whistle:

24 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

I've been 4 times, and it has got worse since the first and second times.  Such a rough and dirty place 

Sounds like the perfect environment for a filthy fox, then? :whistle:

On the Dubai theme of places some people have no intention of going as it doesnt appeal, I dont think I'd be too fussed on Thailand or Bali to be honest, just seems full of older British and Irish chavs from what I've seen in the media / people I know who have been.

3 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Disney land holds absolutely no appeal for me, I know plenty of people love it but whenever I've talked to people who've been it sounds like my idea of hell. 

Absolutely agree with you Deb.  My (now grown up) kids hate me for not taking them there.  To me Disney = films.  I always said to them that you may as well have a McDonalds World.

9 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Disney land holds absolutely no appeal for me, I know plenty of people love it but whenever I've talked to people who've been it sounds like my idea of hell. 

Agreed! I get people taking their kids to Disney but I have friends that are married in their 30's going on there own! and spend 1000's on it! Each to their own I guess!

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

Of course it was - the threat of amputation is a terrible thing. 

No it really isn't about "opinions" - and maybe try freely expressing them in Dubai...see what happens. 

You felt "completely safe" in a police state that suppresses free speech and academic liberty, is blighted by custody disputes, wrongful arrest arbitrary detention and forced disappearances, advocates systematic torture, discrimination, misogyny, places executive authorities and security services on the judiciary, denies the right to a fair trial, flagrantly flounts international law, still adheres to the abhorrent Kafala system, and coldly deports child victims of sex trafficking and slavery without ID. 

But the hotels and restaurants are nice. 

Bet your a laugh at a party 

23 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Agreed! I get people taking their kids to Disney but I have friends that are married in their 30's going on there own! and spend 1000's on it! Each to their own I guess!

I hate to tell you this but if you have a friend who is going Disney on their own they are definitely shagging Mini Mouse.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Bet your a laugh at a party 

Coming from an accountant lol

Why not? - arrange one in Dubai ... just avoid any codeine for your headache in the morning. 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Also never get the appeal of a beach holiday like when people just go and sit on beach reading getting a tan for 2 weeks, no thanks Jeff. 

I understand the attitude, I'd say I share it to extent but then I go some of the Greek islands...and it's like a detached reality where relaxing is brilliant. 

Ultimately I think the bottom line for any city is explore it and understand it. I mentioned Rome as mine but being a more experience traveller I am now rather than I was, there is no way I'd cart myself around the tourist traps like I did (for example went four of the boroughs in NYC and loved it)