Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Guiza

Destinations that you just 'don't get'

I love a city break and I also love a beach/pool holiday, doesn't necessarily have to be a choice between the two. Don't get to relax much because I have a two year old but he loves chilling around the pool. That said there has got to be something to do as an alternative and somewhere for a walk. Been to a couple of hotels where there is nothing for miles. 

I kinda started this in unpopular opinions, mentioning my distaste for Dubai, Morocco and Egypt.... Plus south east Asian megatropolises

To give some balance and some anti European makeweight, I can't stand the Costa del Sol - marbella, fuengirola, benalmadena, mijas .....packed with vulgar rich but common  Londoners and you can't go anywhere without a car...bloody great coast road slicing the beaches from the resorts

Fwiw, I love some underrated or misjudged places though.

Brussels is brilliant. Love it.

Palma Nova is great for the easiest and quickest of sunshine getaways

Biarritz is a forgotten old school cool

Germany and Austria full stop. Both europe personified.

• Like 1

Even though the country has got a lot of history and great sceneries in certain parts, wouldn't feel comfortable in going to any part of Russia, now; given the fractured relationship between the UK and them.

They probably monitor each Briton etc and check what they're doing..

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Went to Brussels, Ghent and Brugge earlier in the year and Brussels was a massive let down for me compared to them two others.

It’s a weird place. Amazing for a night out, delirium and Celtica are class but in the day there is nothing to do or see really. Bruges is absolutely world class and a bloody amazing place to visit. Makes me mega depressed that I didn’t get to our away game, envy everyone who made that. Ghent is also very nice. 

6 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Even though the country has got a lot of history and great sceneries in certain parts, wouldn't feel comfortable in going to any part of Russia, now; given the fractured relationship between the UK and them.

They probably monitor each Briton etc and check what they're doing..

Agree. I intended to go to the world cup on the the basis it'd be the safest chance to visit some of these random cities. But I let the chance slip, mainly through laziness.

I reckon if a single UK traveller rocked up in, say, Irkutsk now, they'd be trailed all the way

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

It’s a weird place. Amazing for a night out, delirium and Celtica are class but in the day there is nothing to do or see really. Bruges is absolutely world class and a bloody amazing place to visit. Makes me mega depressed that I didn’t get to our away game, envy everyone who made that. Ghent is also very nice. 

I did Brussels last which didn’t help because, and I can’t believe I’m about to say this, I was sick of beer after 5 days so we had a quick couple one delirium in the day but didn’t go back at night.

Yeah Brugge away was insane.

21 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Bucharest in Romania was surprisingly brilliant. It was a stag, but what a weekend. 

one of the best places i’ve been in europe deffo. mad people, mad drinks and mad cheap. 

get whats being said about brussels, we went first time for a proper piss up and barely saw daylight hours, then went back a second time and purposefully got our shit together with raging hangovers to explore the city. and there wasn’t much to explore. so just got back in the delirium bars earlier than planned. which was probably an error. 

been back since then tbf, it’s very cheap and easy to get to and a great night out, but as others have said unless i’m missing something it’s not quite got the feel of other capital/city break cities in terms of stuff to do. 

On 15/08/2019 at 20:19, bovril said:

I have to say I love Venice. If you get away from the crowds, which is remarkably simple, you can easily find a beautiful little back street where you see and hear almost nobody apart from people hanging out their washing, or find a small cafe with a couple of locals in where the coffee is still under a euro, or come across a little church full of Tintoretto paintings with nobody in. I'm not sure the man-made landscape has ever got more beautiful than Venice. 

Its this Type of break, or Type of travel,I use to do alone,then with my last girlfriend,Now my wife...

My Story started 50+ yrs ago. Whether travelling for work reasons and having some free time,or took Short or long travel breaks,excursions,or expeditions...

Getting Off the Advertised Tourist/travel paths,Routes onto the Local city backstreets.  Spending Precious time with the locals,. Listening to their Views on different angles /Stories of tourist Sites, und Real Local restaurants,Great Information source.Going to Local  food markets,trying their food faire. Finding small Local  theaters ,or music cantinos, restaurants,cafes,or Local Area festivals. Local Mardi-gras,New year , other Local celebrations.  Far better,and cheaper with quality.

Instead of Hunting British/International Star names,look where Locals go to see their small,or Country celebrities.

Wine/ various Fruit Harvest festivals/ Beer ( sometimes Craft & Local Breweries beer) festivals. far better than "Octoberfest" or expensive wine tours.

In Spain/Italy/Greece. a few 1-3 day  festivals with old und young generation,just enjoying the festival....no-alchohol. or with plenty,but no drunkards or aggression.

Even in Cannes,Madrid,Venice,Nice,Majorca,Paris,Brussel,Amsterdam,Wien through to the Americas & Asian cities...

Get off the beaten track,learn something from the Local lingo,laugh with the Local and not against them,Enjoy their Company & Share and exchange life for a day,a week,a month,a ..year.   Thats my motto und suggestion...

Getting pssed on holiday, total waste of time und missed opportunity.You become everybodies fool,getting merry enjoying the atmosphere,

gives you true & lasting memories.

I am no fuddy duddy, done ,,seen,burned the candles at both preverbial ends,got too many Bloody T-shirts,and got bored of all the Bloody films....

Oh and actually walked many a Numerous  trail & Wild treks,drove my own expeditions & sober enough to Enjoy them....

Dont piss on peoples doorstep,then the Yak wont shit in your tent!!!  Fuchsntf proverb!:D

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

one of the best places i’ve been in europe deffo. mad people, mad drinks and mad cheap. 

get whats being said about brussels, we went first time for a proper piss up and barely saw daylight hours, then went back a second time and purposefully got our shit together with raging hangovers to explore the city. and there wasn’t much to explore. so just got back in the delirium bars earlier than planned. which was probably an error. 

been back since then tbf, it’s very cheap and easy to get to and a great night out, but as others have said unless i’m missing something it’s not quite got the feel of other capital/city break cities in terms of stuff to do. 

Tin Tin.../Best beers,including trapistmonks beer und visits(crawl)/Waterloo trip../.Brood-Huis/  Best Chips in the world/// chocolate tours/ lace industry.

Battlefields of Belgium / Cafe Belga/ Nights around the Grand place/ Cinquaintenaire Parc & Museum...etc,etc. Some decent Jazz & nite-clubs/ live müßig hard & clubs...

Or just keep doing the numerous  Bevvy-crawls around Belgium,probably wont have the same beer on any given- Next day!!

On 15/08/2019 at 17:58, Footballwipe said:

Got back from Dubai about a month ago. Had a fantastic time; turns out I should hang my head in shame and question my life choices. :nigel:

But I won't... because I had a fantastic time :) 

Just got back from  Gonarezhou national park in Zimbabwe where I shot a captive bred baboon, ostrich and giraffe. Had a fantastic time, turns out I should hang my head in shame and question my life choices :nigel:

But I won't...because I had a fantastic time :)

• Sad 2
  • Haha 3

On 15/08/2019 at 17:58, Footballwipe said:

Got back from Dubai about a month ago. Had a fantastic time; turns out I should hang my head in shame and question my life choices. :nigel:

But I won't... because I had a fantastic time :) 

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

Just got back from  Gonarezhou national park in Zimbabwe where I shot a captive bred baboon, ostrich and giraffe. Had a fantastic time, turns out I should hang my head in shame and question my life choices :nigel:

But I won't...because I had a fantastic time :)

Yes, they're precisely the same thing. All those people I shot in Dubai, it was the highlight of my trip :huh:

Work on your comparisons, buddy, and come back when you've got a better one :)

By the way, did I mention I had a FANTASTIC time on my holiday? It was a brilliant week.