Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Chelsea Away Post-Match thread

21 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

Not had time to read the whole thread, but not sure if this has been posted: 

Three great things, 1. how close they are as a team, I love the camaraderie, 2. the passion and desire is evident, let's get behind Ndidi to help his confidence, and 3. great to hear Maddison is going to be practicing his shooting to take those chances. Great interview.

What a man, madders showing some good leadership skills there at such a young age. We’ve got a squad and a half here.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

I'm a bit surprised Maddison is getting as much praise as he is. He seemed to end up with loads of time on the ball on a lot of occasions and corner aside he's killed most of our attacks with a poor pass or shot. Love having him in the team and it's great to have a player that's so positive going forwards. I just didn't think he actually did half as well as he could have and I'm sure he'd agree. Seems to have his head firmly screwed on and will definitely improve this season.

My man of the match was easily Pereira, the man's a machine. Just looks so comfortable on the ball and seems to have all the time in the world. We'll do well to hold onto him next summer. First player since Kanté that generally puts in an 8 or 9 out of 10 performance. An off day for him is a 7/10.

As an aside, I'm still feeling confident that Barnes will be ahead of Perez in the pecking order by October. Improves the squad but isn't going to significantly improve the first XI.

I kind of agree with you. Just watch out for the backlash including from a jaylcdc94 - he will no doubt verbal you and say that you confirm Barnes is worth more than £30m today because you made a reference to Perez who has a few seasons in EPL already (actually I still dont get the logic so I wont try).

Maddison also gets a lot of over the top praise in media reports but they would for example failed to mention the good work of Fuchs in the lead-up to that clear cut Maddison chance. I also saw a report today saying how Vardy was really poor who failed to get into good positions ... umm they probably watched another game and missed the two passes Maddison could have made to Vardy for 1-1.  

Having said all that, I think he has good raw talents and will improve as a player. He also seemed to me to be quite effective when given a free pass to roam around to help defenders get the ball and move it quickly forward in tight spaces like he did in the last 20 mins - in fact he was brilliant. What he lacks right now is good and quick decision making in that final third.

Edited by Tom12345

16 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

What a man, madders showing some good leadership skills there at such a young age. We’ve got a squad and a half here.

I liked Vardy's reaction after Madders missed from five yards out - his instant reaction, quite understandbly, was to berate him. He briefly stopped to think and then clapped his hands to encourage his team mate

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 49er said:

I liked Vardy's reaction after Madders missed from five yards out - his instant reaction, quite understandbly, was to berate him. He briefly stopped to think and then clapped his hands to encourage his team mate

Vardy is a legend. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, 49er said:

I have to say Vardy was acting like a real captain out there yesterday. Not sure if this was captured on TV, but several times he went over to other people on the team and gave them words of encouragement or an arm round the shoulder. When Ndidi scored he made a special point of congratulating him. I think he set a really good example, and I wonder if it's something Rodgers has said to him?

I think this season compared to last, the players seem much more together as a unit. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Vardy is a legend. 

Absolutely. Not just for being the main reason for us winning the Premier League, but for staying with us and always putting in a shift.He also seems to be good at getting rid of poor Managers - Puellol

Some good play in the second half but unless we're more ruthless in front of goal we will only finish mid table. A 4 point defecit on the same games last season. If we are going to be serious challengers at the top end of the table then next tow games are rally vital and we need to win them. Need to start more positively.

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I have to say Vardy was acting like a real captain out there yesterday. Not sure if this was captured on TV, but several times he went over to other people on the team and gave them words of encouragement or an arm round the shoulder. When Ndidi scored he made a special point of congratulating him. I think he set a really good example, and I wonder if it's something Rodgers has said to him?

I think this season compared to last, the players seem much more together as a unit. 

Thanks for the feedback as I didnt see it but does not surprise me at all. He has always been a leader on the pitch chasing down everything and never say die, and from all accounts he is a real connector and joker in the dressing room. 

26 minutes ago, 49er said:

Good job he didn't berate him because he went and missed from about 5 yards out himself lol

8 minutes ago, 49er said:

Absolutely. Not just for being the main reason for us winning the Premier League, but for staying with us and always putting in a shift.He also seems to be good at getting rid of poor Managers - Puellol

Fully agree (except I will give Vardy the benefit of the doubt re managers 😂).

Makes his rags to riches story even more awesome. I hope Top rewards him after he retires.

I absolutely love that 2nd half team - Really not keen on how we played 1st half - very Jekyll and Hyde 

Looks as though we're carrying one or two at the moment but it ususally takes a few games to get the best 11 

I think Praet will force his way into the team and I'm hoping that Barnes also come to the fore.

Win on Saturday and it will be a terrific start.  

1 hour ago, ThaiFox said:

Some great points there and I agree with most.

Our slow starts (just like under Puel) are going to cost us unless we address them very quickly, and whilst I agree we were great after half time Chelsea should/could have been out of sight without a couple of crucial saves from Kasper, a great tackle from Fuchs and several big missed chances, especially Mount's header. I thought Praet looked skillful in his short cameo, but I totally agree that Tielemans hasn't yet done much to impress in his two matches.

I'm not sure I agree with playing two defensive midfielders though, especially at home or away games where we should be looking to win. We are not as balanced without a pure winger in the team. It also looks like Perez and Maddison are unsure of their roles in this current BR set up, are they wingers, are they No. 10's, No 8's or what? They don't seem to know, especially Perez (I'm not critical of him because I think he looks lost in this set up) and it was only when Maddison moved to his last seasons position he really played well. Until then he was poor.

If BR wants to play without wingers why not try 3 at the back with Ricardo and Chilwell (Fuchs) as pure wing backs? That would end the need for two defensive midfielders and enable the team to balance better with three creative midfielders interchanging just behind Vardy and Perez.

I'd certainly have put Barnes on instead of Albrighton as he's more of an impact player and more direct too.

Defensively Evans looks solid and commanding and it's great to see some pace at the back, after Morgan & Maguire, with Soyuncu, who's also playing well. Ricardo is still a bit wobbly in defence, but so exciting going forward.

BR must sort out our tempo at the start of matches, or it'll become a familiar story to the Puel days of conceding early and chasing the game. 

Sheff Utd next week. A must win game for us if we're serious about a serious challenge for Europe, but it'll be a tough match as they will be confident after the Palace win.

I thought 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3 could be an option but in all the variations it feels like we are losing one more midfielder for another centre half. Unless we deploy Ndidi as a centre half who then steps in to midfield but would we lose his tackling and interceptions higher up the pitch? I think if we aren't going to play a left winger then Fuchs has to play as Chilwell's end product is horrifying as we saw vs Wolves. It's a bit of a conundrum for Rodgers, i'm fairly certain had Chilwell played yesterday we wouldn't have been as dominant in the 2nd half. Fuchs was often involved in driving forward and causing openings. His use of the ball and crossing has always been impressive, hats off to BR to convince him to do one more year.

17 hours ago, SO1 said:

For clubs Rodgers has managed(excepting Celtic) its always been a bit of a struggle in the beginning of seasons.  Its not like flipping on your stereo full blast and turning it off at the end of the season. More like climbing a mountain and trying to stay at the peak for as long(players fitness) as possible.

Been waiting three years to see a Rodgers team play at that intensity. The only thing that's not there for me is the finishing and attacking or the final third. The hardest thing to coach. There were several times when our midfield was one touch away from a scoring chance in the first half that would have totally changed the match. So moan and complain all you want but the goals will come. So happy to see the mental strength of this club come together. The X factor.

It's useful reading your take on BR and his tactics but I reckon the mental strength of the club has been proven a few times recently, the great escape and 2015/16 being two of them. ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turtmcfly said:

This reply ignores your daft comment about us looking less dangerous after Hamza went off. 

As for the bit in bold... you worked this out despite having only seen him in his 'first tast of PL football'?

Try this - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0007t4q/match-of-the-day-2-201920-18082019 from 10:05.

FFs. Everybody knows @FIF    Maybe mad,but he aint daft..!!!:facepalm:

Edited by fuchsntf

First half we were shocking. Rodgers can't persist with this 4-3-3 - Maddison and Perez (and Vardy) are isolated. Fuchs (or the lb position) has no support at all with Maddison out wide. Thought they were all poor but Ricardo was genuinely are only threat going forward.

Second half we were excellent and could/should have had 3 goals. Maddison, more central, became the best player on the pitch. Telemens grew into the game as did Fuchs. Praet impressed me when he came on.

Thoroughly enjoyable day and, dare I say, one of our best ends in ages.

We had decent chances to win the game in the second half which is obviously disappointing we didn't take them but the performance was excellent. bad defensive error from Ndidi and hopefully we can cut out those mistakes. yes we want to play out from the back but we can't dwell on the ball too much and let the opposition force a mistake out of us.