Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Chelsea Away Post-Match thread

31 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Listened on the way back from Bristol. Sounded like we got pounded first 20 minutes. Chelsea coming out of the blocks all guns blazing so we also sounded fortunate to only concede 1 goal.

Tempered the pressure up to half-time then took control, in Pat Nevin's* eyes right until full-time. We had better chances in the second half, controlled the midfield and Maddison sounded like he missed a sitter. Choudhury sounded like he had another solid game as a defensive midfielder. Ndidi making up for the mistake with the equaliser. Maddison constantly sounded as if he had acres of space between Chelsea's defence and midfield which is surprising considering Kante & Jorginho were on the pitch most of the match. 

Happy with a point despite the lack of a winner, given the context of how the game started. 2 games and 2 points. Time to kick on the next couple of games (Sheff Utd & Bournemouth) which won't be easy. Sheff Utd I feel will be underestimated by a lot of fans who think they're just a hoof-ball, route-one kind of side but under Wilder they're anything but. 

*Regarding Nevin, I thought his and Alistair Bruce-Ball's commentary was brilliant on BBC Five Live. Despite Nevin's links with Chelsea he was praising and critical of them (and Leicester) in equal measure and made for a good, rational commentary on what at times sounded like an end-to-end game. Very praising of Mount and likewise of Choudhury & Maddison. Tactically-speaking, Nevin is one of the best. He was also constructively critical of Lampard. About 10 minutes before our goal, he suggested Lampard make a change to the midfield because it clearly wasn't working any more and players were getting jaded/fatigued (also suggested taking Pedro and/or Pulisic off. As it happens, no changes made, we scored and then Lampard decides to make a chance. And despite the criticism, he wasn't scathing of Lampard. Just played it down to inexperience. 

Nevin is very good. Slightly wasted on radio. Top bloke too and once completely outplayed Ken Bates on contract negotiations!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Don't feel like the 433 with Maddison on the left works at all. In both matches so far it's been pretty ineffective.

Great second half today, I feel like we did enough to win.

i agree with you there with the 4-3-3 feels like Maddison is better in cental areas along with Youri, personally feel at times we play better in a 4-1-4-1 formation.

game of 2 halfs for use, shocking at times in the first, great in the second, unlucky not to win it too but i guess thats how it goes 

45 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Wasn’t able to watch the game as I was being driven back to Toruń from Gdańsk and could only listen to 5 Live in and out of signal. We sounded excellent in the second half. 

Were we? 

How was Praet?

ReadIt.JPG.feaa22156ba3fc9b0a350fe476916bf3.JPG

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tanya said:

Praet looks like he will fit in nicely

Guys we looked so great. Fast, crisp passing, winning the ball back and then moving it on. So happy that Wilf got his redemption. 

Maddison was both sublime and a little ridiculous with that miss. Youri had an off game, think he;ll benefit from Brendan telling him to move the ball quicker on the fast break.

Not sure if anyone saw but towards the end when we had a free kick about 30 yards out, Youri was organizing everyone, shouting at Caglar and Evans to come forward for it.

Was nice to see. Reminded me of Cambiasso.

• Like 2

Just seen the Ndidi/Maddison interview after the game.

Shows how far we've come that they were absolutely gutted that we didn't get the win today away against the current Europa League holders.

Easy to forget that 4 of our 5 midfielders are under 22. I always think you have to make mistakes to learn. Ndidi will bounce back from that today. 

Maddison is guaranteed to be a pundit after he's hung his boots up.

3 minutes ago, MPH said:

Not sure if anyone saw but towards the end when we had a free kick about 30 yards out, Youri was organizing everyone, shouting at Caglar and Evans to come forward for it.

Was nice to see. Reminded me of Cambiasso.

Future captain, absolutely no doubt about it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Maddison a year ago in interviews was a complete pecker, a year on and he's a really confident but appreciative character. There's a maturity happening and when the composure to his game comes then he will be unbelievable, really pleased we have him.

It made me laugh when Ian Wright and Michael Owen were asking him about his attempt and he said "wow tough crowd, you two would have finished there!" lol Joker!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Haha 1

Waited to post until some of the angry children have been sent to bed. Really poor 1st half but a commanding 2nd half display and should have / could have won. Far more positives than negatives  We started very badly almost Puelesque like and gave away a soft goal but came back strongly and did enough to have won it. Teams are always up for their first home game under a new manager and especially a club legend for them. Even some of the pundits have praised us and said we did enough to win We have as young a side as their is in the division and took the game to Chelsea at the end. We bossed the midfield against a team with Kante in which takes some doing. The fact the players were gutted not to have won says so much, You cannot keep giving teams a goal head start but against a team that finished 3rd last year and are the current Europa league winners we did OK showing that we can compete with these challenging for CL and Euro league football. For those on a downer we played Chelsea in their 1st home game of the season in 2014 take a look at our side and think how far we have come.

• 1Schmeichel
  • 2de Laet
  • 5Morgan
  • 18Moore
  • 3Konchesky
  • 26MahrezSubstituted forAlbrightonat 68'minutes
  • 10King
  • 7HammondBooked at 51minsSubstituted forTaylor-Fletcherat 73'minutes
  • 15Schlupp
  • 35Nugent
  • 23UlloaSubstituted forWoodat 84'minutes

Substitutes

• 11Albrighton
  • 12Hamer
  • 20Hopper
  • 22Taylor-Fletcher
  • 24Knockaert
  • 27Wasilewski
  • 39Wood
  • Like 1

First half: "jesus christ, Rodgers and the lads havent got a clue and look hungover - bottom half scrap beckons"

Second half: "top 6 beckons" 

Frustrating we couldn't get a 2nd, not taking our chances is a pretty big problem for us. We need to also move the ball quicker like in the good old days. If we do a full game like how we played in the 2nd half, we'll be fighting for Europa for sure.

I was just surprised at our tactics. I said in the pub before the game, keep to 0-0 after 60 minutes and Chelsea will falter big time. Travelling etc is tiring and if we keep our powder dry, go all out last 30. Defending for first 20 was scary, hence a lot of commentators saying top six is unlikely. 

We were so disjointed in that initial period I felt sorry for BR. What do they practice on the training ground? The players were well off the pace, losing shapes and position, although accept Chelsea were trying extra hard for their new manager. 

Great second half effort, bit more clinical and we would have had back to back away wins at SB. Thought Christian Fuchs was excellent. Everybody else, ok. Maddison did well except when it really mattered,