Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Chelsea Away Post-Match thread

"We're not here to compete, we're here to contend."

Huge words from Wilf, that speaks volumes for the mentality in the squad. I was disappointed with the first half performance, but the second half showed the character of this squad. 

Next game can't come soon enough. The goals and wins are coming...

Edited by CloudFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, katieakita said:

Waited to post until some of the angry children have been sent to bed. Really poor 1st half but a commanding 2nd half display and should have / could have won. Far more positives than negatives  We started very badly almost Puelesque like and gave away a soft goal but came back strongly and did enough to have won it. Teams are always up for their first home game under a new manager and especially a club legend for them. Even some of the pundits have praised us and said we did enough to win We have as young a side as their is in the division and took the game to Chelsea at the end. We bossed the midfield against a team with Kante in which takes some doing. The fact the players were gutted not to have won says so much, You cannot keep giving teams a goal head start but against a team that finished 3rd last year and are the current Europa league winners we did OK showing that we can compete with these challenging for CL and Euro league football. For those on a downer we played Chelsea in their 1st home game of the season in 2014 take a look at our side and think how far we have come.

• 1Schmeichel
  • 2de Laet
  • 5Morgan
  • 18Moore
  • 3Konchesky
  • 26MahrezSubstituted forAlbrightonat 68'minutes
  • 10King
  • 7HammondBooked at 51minsSubstituted forTaylor-Fletcherat 73'minutes
  • 15Schlupp
  • 35Nugent
  • 23UlloaSubstituted forWoodat 84'minutes

Substitutes

• 11Albrighton
  • 12Hamer
  • 20Hopper
  • 22Taylor-Fletcher
  • 24Knockaert
  • 27Wasilewskihh
  • 39Wood

T'was effectively the same side here under Pearson that made the great escape though - with either out of favour (or suspended/injured?) Vardy, plus Cambiasso and of course Robert Huth as the only real latter squad addition missing. One that lead us to where we find ourselves now, on the cusp of a potential top six finish wave - as former Premier League Champions three years ago! :-)   

Edited by Guy
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, sm1 said:

First half 3/10,  second half 7/10. Overall 5/10. I think that's why the players were disappointed,  we were average, yet still should've won the game. I think it's going to be a long season for Lampard. 

Think 5/10 is very harsh.

We were playing Chelsea: six-time top flight winners, eight-time FA Cup winners, five-time League Cup winners, Champions League winners and two-time Europa League winners - not Forest Green Rovers.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, bfox said:

I feel its a build up of frustration, we were really THAT bad in the first half. And that's a familiar sight in the last 2/3 seasons. 

I disagree..First 15mins Yes we were poor from midfield.Slack passing, poor passing around our own box,putting our CBs under unnecessary pressure.

We let their early pressing get to us,where we should of been more composed. After 20 minutes I thought we were more measured and played decent

Football, but not consequent enough. Then yes, we started to find our pace und rythme better in the 2nd half.

This was Chelsea at home with the Euphorie und Adrenalin of Lampards 1St home game,and also rebuilding their team. I reckon they will do well,but not title candidates IMO.  So we shouldnt of been surprised by their start...but despite Chelsea looking slick,like all home teams,After the initial First 5,10,then 15 minutes,

Like old Leicester sides,Chelsea couldnt Keep it up,and we started to grow well into the game.....

Also it was a really poor failure that presented them the goal ,it wasnt a well worked goal,but an experienced PL player,done by  schoolboy enthusiasm!!!

After that goal we seemed to realise ,we had to start playing........!!!

That said I thought it was a cracking game....

I also want to reiterate, even when we find consistently our potential higher Quality football, Chelsea,Manutd, & Arsenal are still in command of sitting in,in their customary Top 6 heights....If we or any other team break through und crack the mould,it will need something special....Even if then the EOS Top 5-8,will have played some great football....!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 3

So many positives after that second half. MOTM for me was Soy closely followed by Madders. Can't stop thinking about that Madders chance, he should've buried it!

He was outstanding, made Chelsea defenders look like parking cones. Just take a leaf out of Vards book and keep a cool head when finishing... the goals will come. I'm very happy for Wilf, after he scored you could see a weight coming off his shoulders. That brainfart he had in the first half was very puzzling, so unlike him.

Right... Bring on the Blades!

31 minutes ago, Crashtoasted said:

Maddison looked sensational second half, outlined on MOTD2 but his positioning when he is given license to roam is superb. Great response from the lads after a p*ss poor start, just need to remedy that and we could end up being a force this season.

In the middle Maddison is our main creative threat, he's brilliant.

Midfield got dominated the first 20 minutes but things sorted out after that.  Before it happened I thought that whoever Rodgers picked between Albrighton & Barnes would tell his mindset - which ended up being that a point there was a decent result.

As poor as Maddison was in Wk 1 he was as good this week. Superb performance by him save for the finishing. My first time seeing the Foxes in person and they did not disappoint.  Once the attack gets in gear we're going to see some 3 and 4 goal games.  It's still developing.

4 hours ago, dorsetboy said:

I said when we signed perez hes no better than barnes who could play across the 3 behind vardy.

Last two games im afraid perez has proved my point so far.

Well don't you feel special.

He's played two games. He's had a slow start but give him a break. 

• Like 2

Don't know if I am being a little harsh on this one but after Chelsea threw the kitchen sink at us for the first 30 minutes I just think they were knackered after 120 minutes in Turkey then the flight home. With the chances we created I am still not convinced yet. Almost feel as though  with their midweek endeavor we should have dominated later on. We still seem so slow on decision making and execution. Sorry but expect us to start on fire next game. Still don't feel we are quite as match fit as other teams coming out of preseason. Don't feel like we were really tested preseason

1 hour ago, LCFCSOULBOY said:

Don't know if I am being a little harsh on this one but after Chelsea threw the kitchen sink at us for the first 30 minutes I just think they were knackered after 120 minutes in Turkey then the flight home. With the chances we created I am still not convinced yet. Almost feel as though  with their midweek endeavor we should have dominated later on. We still seem so slow on decision making and execution. Sorry but expect us to start on fire next game. Still don't feel we are quite as match fit as other teams coming out of preseason. Don't feel like we were really tested preseason

Our ‘decision making’ in the final third is what needs improving.

We kinda got excited in the second half yesterday, with Vardy, Maddison shooting when they should have looked up and slid the ball across the penalty area.

Just a bit more of a cool head, we’d have won. 

This is another thing Man City are brilliant at. You think they are gonna shoot, but they then make the killer final pass and the goal becomes gaping.

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

The first half wasn’t as bad as some are making out.... They started with energy as expected and Wilf made a mistake handing them a goal. They had a couple of moments in the first half mainly due to Pedro finding space a bit too easily. Once we rode the initial storm we took the sting out of the game, and then came out firing in the second. Lots of positives, were looking like a very decent team. I thought Ayoze was much better in the second, he has been singled out by some, and probably rightly so, but I think it’s clear to see (to me anyway) that he isn’t playing in his favoured position, but he did start to have an impact on the game by finding pockets of space in the second half, perhaps he just needs to be pushed a little higher up the pitch, or swapped out for Albrighton or Barnes for a couple of games? I do like him though.

6 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

In the middle Maddison is our main creative threat, he's brilliant.

I still can't believe some on here were suggesting we drop him for this game! Proved his worth for sure. Hopefully him and Tielemans will be firing soon.

44 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

The first half wasn’t as bad as some are making out.... They started with energy as expected and Wilf made a mistake handing them a goal. They had a couple of moments in the first half mainly due to Pedro finding space a bit too easily. Once we rode the initial storm we took the sting out of the game, and then came out firing in the second. Lots of positives, were looking like a very decent team. I thought Ayoze was much better in the second, he has been singled out by some, and probably rightly so, but I think it’s clear to see (to me anyway) that he isn’t playing in his favoured position, but he did start to have an impact on the game by finding pockets of space in the second half, perhaps he just needs to be pushed a little higher up the pitch, or swapped out for Albrighton or Barnes for a couple of games? I do like him though.

Nah, the first half was every bit as bad and worse.  Just like last week.  That lineup simply doesn't work, plain and simple.  Perez isn't the problem - it's the combination of no creativity deep in MF and no width that's the problem.

I’m so glad it was N’didi that got the goal back. He looked distraught with himself after the final whistle. We started poorly but ended the half strongly and came out in the second half on a mission. A little more luck and we end up winning by a couple. That will come with time, more positive than anything else to be taken from today. Just hope N’didi doesn’t let one mistake effect him too much, still one of the best at what he does for me. 

Was glad to see maddison get stuck in a little more, backed out of too much last season. Hopefully Perez is up for it more as he settles, looked a little terrified of people today. Soyuncu is a beast. Ridiculous we still have Ricardo he’s top class and now we bring the blades back down to earth. Thrash em lads! 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

Guest MattP

Superb second half, so good it felt like two points dropped.

Chelsea look like the ones who will drop out the top six this season, average manager, no real superstars - on that performance we can finish above them.

My thoughts after only watching the last 30 minutes on a stream (but listening on the radio driving)  and MOTD2, Chelsea should have been 5 up at half time as we were poor in the 1st half, can Rodgers please stop playing Maddison out wide as it ruins his & Tielemans game in the centre, we have to start taking our chances, Fuchs & Soyuncu were solid, Ndidi is the most honest pro around imo....

Up the City.... :scarf:

14 hours ago, Tanya said:

Praet looks like he will fit in nicely

Guys we looked so great. Fast, crisp passing, winning the ball back and then moving it on. So happy that Wilf got his redemption. 

Maddison was both sublime and a little ridiculous with that miss. Youri had an off game, think he;ll benefit from Brendan telling him to move the ball quicker on the fast break.

I liked the look of praet too..

10 hours ago, dorsetboy said:

I said when we signed perez hes no better than barnes who could play across the 3 behind vardy.

Last two games im afraid perez has proved my point so far.

Though you could end up being right, two games is not nearly enough to pass judgement on a player. This time last season plenty were slagging off Ricardo for being lightweight and poor defensively, but he went on to become our player of the season. Jonny Evans was slagged off for some poor defensive displays and many thought he was past it but at the end of the season most people thought he was a better CB defensively than Maguire. Finally Soyuncu looked rash and lacking concentration last season, and this season after two games, fans are singing a song about him having a massive dong! 

If he's still struggling after 10 or so games then I think you have a point, but Perez was good in preseason and deserves his chance. 

I'm a big fan of Barnes, but he has to fight for his place like everyone else. Rodgers has shown he is quite ruthless when it comes to making big decisions - Gray was not involved in the first team squad again yesterday. So if Perez continues to disappoint I have no doubt he will lose his starting position. Also as it stands, it looks like Albrighton will start before Barnes going by the subs Rodgers has made thus far.

• Like 2