Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Chelsea Away Post-Match thread

6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Though you could end up being right, two games is not nearly enough to pass judgement on a player. This time last season plenty were slagging off Ricardo for being lightweight and poor defensively, but he went on to become our player of the season. Jonny Evans was slagged off for some poor defensive displays and many thought he was past it but at the end of the season most people thought he was a better CB defensively than Maguire. Finally Soyuncu looked rash and lacking concentration last season, and this season after two games, fans are singing a song about him having a massive dong! 

If he's still struggling after 10 or so games then I think you have a point, but Perez was good in preseason and deserves his chance. 

I'm a big fan of Barnes, but he has to fight for his place like everyone else. Rodgers has shown he is quite ruthless when it comes to making big decisions - Gray was not involved in the first team squad again yesterday. So if Perez continues to disappoint I have no doubt he will lose his starting position. Also as it stands, it looks like Albrighton will start before Barnes going by the subs Rodgers has made thus far.

Good post

:thumbup:

I'm a bit surprised Maddison is getting as much praise as he is. He seemed to end up with loads of time on the ball on a lot of occasions and corner aside he's killed most of our attacks with a poor pass or shot. Love having him in the team and it's great to have a player that's so positive going forwards. I just didn't think he actually did half as well as he could have and I'm sure he'd agree. Seems to have his head firmly screwed on and will definitely improve this season.

My man of the match was easily Pereira, the man's a machine. Just looks so comfortable on the ball and seems to have all the time in the world. We'll do well to hold onto him next summer. First player since Kanté that generally puts in an 8 or 9 out of 10 performance. An off day for him is a 7/10.

As an aside, I'm still feeling confident that Barnes will be ahead of Perez in the pecking order by October. Improves the squad but isn't going to significantly improve the first XI.

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1

What constantly impresses me about Ricky P is when he’s not having a particularly good game, you can tell he’s annoyed with himself (as per first 20 yesterday) and then just gets his effort up. 

The latest myth I keep getting told about is our defence being some car crash. We have a back four of internationals FFS - of which three of them have been playing superb for their countries in the past year!

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Well what a joke that game thread was. We really have some strange fans on FT.

For me Chelsea blew us away for the first 15 minutes, totally annhialated us and then for the next 75 minutes we were the better team.

People who slated the formation so much - seems to be the "in" thing to do this season - then trying to explain how it had changed or whatever (haha) in the second half. It was the same it was just that Chelsea started like a whirlwind and we didn't.

people slating Maddison in the first half and Hamza. haha

For me our biggest problem was that Youri hasn't been in the match at anytime - same against wolves - he looks slow and poor and if he hadn't just become the transfer record should have been the one substituted in both games. Hamza is essential to BR as he is the only player who runs all over the pitch closing people down and stealing the ball. He's more important than any other midfielder and it was noticeable how we didn't look so dangerous once he went off. 

N'Didi is what he is. fantastic as some things but as I've said before his first touch is a sledgehammer and he thinks too slowly. There is ALWAYS a chance he is going to give the ball away and cost a goal. Glad he got the goal for us- again I've said before he should be used more in the box for his heading.

Maddison is essential to us but needs to either work harder on his shooting - it's about staying cool - or he needs to stop shooting. his set pieces are fine depsite the FT howl.

Defensively we're looking so much better than last season.

Kasper had a good game - always going to give the ball away at least once but defensively he was very good yesterday. Fuchs did okay but he isn't fast enough nor young enough to regularly play, he has experience and intelligence but not the legs. Hamza covered for him very well. Soyunco was outstanding again and my motm. Evans was great too , Ricardo was back to the Ricardo we know.

Up front Perez got shit he didn't deserve. He played well and hard and was clearly the better attacker. Vardy didn't have the service - he should be used to that now and actually adapt his game. He does so little to actually get in the game or change it when he doesn't have the service. But like Youri he is an untouchable when it comes to criticism.

I found the subs underwhelming again. albrighton does have energy but as a sub he doesn't influence the game. He did nothing yesterday. Praet looked slow and ponderous and was on a par with Tielemans yesterday. If he was to come on it should have been for tielemans. We took our two most energetic players off and it showed.

I'm happy with BR but I find him very similar to Puel. I didn't see his post match but I'm guessing he said that Chelsea played the first 15 minutes with more quality and intensity than we did.

I was happy with the performance - after the first 15 minutes. We should do well this season but need to get Youri back in shape and up to speed and we really need to continue starting both N'didi and Hamza.

Reading plenty of harsh criticism towards Perez, Yes these past two games have been lack luster and not showing any promise as of yet... But Hes still new to the team and mechanics and to compete with a long standing Vardy is a extreme tough ask this early.. I say give him till half the season before making a solid opinion.

Edited by Simoken

Credit to Fuchs for the second half because he was absolute horse muck in the first and I was hoping he'd be hooked at half time, looked miles off the pace.

Perez average, formation doesn't work for Tielemans or Maddison and it's not ideal for the full backs who are reluctant to bomb forward now because of the lack of cover out wide.

Nonetheless was good second half albeit wasteful, and we should have won. However that's twice I've said that already and as both Wolves and Chelsea played midweek before playing us it's two opportunities missed. Puel won both of the fixtures we have played last year and without either opponent having played midweek I might add.

22 minutes ago, FIF said:

For me Chelsea blew us away for the first 15 minutes, totally annhialated us and then for the next 75 minutes we were the better team.

People who slated the formation so much - seems to be the "in" thing to do this season - then trying to explain how it had changed or whatever (haha) in the second half. It was the same it was just that Chelsea started like a whirlwind and we didn't.

For me our biggest problem was that Youri hasn't been in the match at anytime - same against wolves - he looks slow and poor and if he hadn't just become the transfer record should have been the one substituted in both games. Hamza is essential to BR as he is the only player who runs all over the pitch closing people down and stealing the ball. He's more important than any other midfielder and it was noticeable how we didn't look so dangerous once he went off

N'Didi is what he is. fantastic as some things but as I've said before his first touch is a sledgehammer and he thinks too slowly. There is ALWAYS a chance he is going to give the ball away and cost a goal. Glad he got the goal for us- again I've said before he should be used more in the box for his heading.

Maddison is essential to us but needs to either work harder on his shooting - it's about staying cool - or he needs to stop shooting. his set pieces are fine depsite the FT howl.

Kasper had a good game - always going to give the ball away at least once but defensively he was very good yesterday. Fuchs did okay but he isn't fast enough nor young enough to regularly play, he has experience and intelligence but not the legs. Hamza covered for him very well. Soyunco was outstanding again and my motm. Evans was great too , Ricardo was back to the Ricardo we know.

Up front Perez got shit he didn't deserve. He played well and hard and was clearly the better attacker. Vardy didn't have the service - he should be used to that now and actually adapt his game. He does so little to actually get in the game or change it when he doesn't have the service. But like Youri he is an untouchable when it comes to criticism.

I found the subs underwhelming again. albrighton does have energy but as a sub he doesn't influence the game. He did nothing yesterday. Praet looked slow and ponderous and was on a par with Tielemans yesterday. If he was to come on it should have been for tielemans. We took our two most energetic players off and it showed.

I'm happy with BR but I find him very similar to Puel. I didn't see his post match but I'm guessing he said that Chelsea played the first 15 minutes with more quality and intensity than we did.

I was happy with the performance - after the first 15 minutes. We should do well this season but need to get Youri back in shape and up to speed and we really need to continue starting both N'didi and Hamza.

I think love has blinded you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Though you could end up being right, two games is not nearly enough to pass judgement on a player. This time last season plenty were slagging off Ricardo for being lightweight and poor defensively, but he went on to become our player of the season. Jonny Evans was slagged off for some poor defensive displays and many thought he was past it but at the end of the season most people thought he was a better CB defensively than Maguire. Finally Soyuncu looked rash and lacking concentration last season, and this season after two games, fans are singing a song about him having a massive dong! 

If he's still struggling after 10 or so games then I think you have a point, but Perez was good in preseason and deserves his chance. 

I'm a big fan of Barnes, but he has to fight for his place like everyone else. Rodgers has shown he is quite ruthless when it comes to making big decisions - Gray was not involved in the first team squad again yesterday. So if Perez continues to disappoint I have no doubt he will lose his starting position. Also as it stands, it looks like Albrighton will start before Barnes going by the subs Rodgers has made thus far.

Barnes came on before Marc vs Wolves though when we needed to take the game to the opposition. Albrighton came on yesterday as a player to maintain the same rhythm we were showing 2nd half. I do fear Barnes will not be as blindly backed to establish himself in the team as he would have in previous regimes, see Chilwell who was essentially given over a season of learning on the job to find his feet. Barnes is simply going to have to turn up on every occasion he gets a chance and rightly or wrongly that's how it is for clubs serious about pushing top 6. I've no problem with that as long as the players in front of him are delivering consistently and since he was dropped at the back end of last season that hasn't been the case at all and I think we miss his style of play in this team, not to mention how disjointed Maddison and Tielemans look when they aren't central together.

26 minutes ago, FIF said:

For me our biggest problem was that Youri hasn't been in the match at anytime - same against wolves - he looks slow and poor and if he hadn't just become the transfer record should have been the one substituted in both games. Hamza is essential to BR as he is the only player who runs all over the pitch closing people down and stealing the ball. He's more important than any other midfielder and it was noticeable how we didn't look so dangerous once he went off. 

I know you are one of his biggest fans and have been from the off, I also like the lad but that is rubbish. When Praet came on we were infinitely better through the midfield going forward. If we continue to play Ndidi and Choudhury together then we won't score or create enough, i'm happy to hang my hat on that.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I know you are one of his biggest fans and have been from the off, I also like the lad but that is rubbish. When Praet came on we were infinitely better through the midfield going forward. If we continue to play Ndidi and Choudhury together then we won't score or create enough, i'm happy to hang my hat on that.

Praet was slow and did sweet FA. I just watched his "touches" again online. Poor - but I'm not holding that against him as it's his first taste of PL football and he isn't yet ready for that. Not really sure whay you guys keep going on about N'Didi and Hamza being played defensively either. Yes N'didi is a defensive CM but his first half performance was terrible - not in the game and giving up the goal. Hamza plays all over the park. He covered for old man fuchs each time he went forward at LB, played the CDM role occasionally but more often than not was the hunter, chasing the ball, pressuring midfielders and taking the ball from the players before setting up attacks. Far more effective than N'Didi, Tielemans and Praet yesterday. He WILL be needed against Sheffield to pressure the ball and get the turnovers otherwise it could be a long afternoon for us. tielemans and Praet are not going to get the ball from anyone.

4 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I may be over complicating this but I just thought we were pretty shit in the first half and pretty good in the second 

I think we were terrible until they scored. After that for the rest of the first half we were as good as them without any teeth and in the second half we were much much better than them.

We really should have won!

4 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I may be over complicating this but I just thought we were pretty shit in the first half and pretty good in the second 

Sometimes the best analysis is the most simple! That's pretty much my view of the game too.

Seeing us play Chelsea though does make me think that we've caught them up. Sure they have declined massively just from one season to another because of the Hazard departure, but we matched if not outplayed them on their own patch for most of that game. I'm not sure we will finish top 6, but after seeing that game it would not surprise me if Chelsea don't. I think other teams will pick up points, including wins there this season. They are definitely vulnerable in multiple areas.

• Like 1

I believe Perez is being critisced for the same reason Chilwell was last week. Neither looked like they could be bothered trying. They had no intensity to their game.

It's no coincidence both are bottom of the player ratings on FT.

Wake up guys and support your team mates!!

6 hours ago, LCFCSOULBOY said:

Don't know if I am being a little harsh on this one but after Chelsea threw the kitchen sink at us for the first 30 minutes I just think they were knackered after 120 minutes in Turkey then the flight home. With the chances we created I am still not convinced yet. Almost feel as though  with their midweek endeavor we should have dominated later on. We still seem so slow on decision making and execution. Sorry but expect us to start on fire next game. Still don't feel we are quite as match fit as other teams coming out of preseason. Don't feel like we were really tested preseason

Sorry but any Profi Team and squad should be able to Play 2 games a week..!! 

This is Chelsea,not a Championship side...& at home!!! Oh !!!and a bigger spread of squad quality than us..

You're from the east-midlands and havent yet escaped the Bludgery of first Think negative, 2nd drudgery of having a good whine,und 3 carry on stickimg your boot in..!!

I was The same,then found freedom...its so far more  relaxing,being cautious but positive...:trumpet:

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Excellent post...:)

42 minutes ago, FIF said:

Praet was slow and did sweet FA. I just watched his "touches" again online. Poor - but I'm not holding that against him as it's his first taste of PL football and he isn't yet ready for that. Not really sure whay you guys keep going on about N'Didi and Hamza being played defensively either. Yes N'didi is a defensive CM but his first half performance was terrible - not in the game and giving up the goal. Hamza plays all over the park. He covered for old man fuchs each time he went forward at LB, played the CDM role occasionally but more often than not was the hunter, chasing the ball, pressuring midfielders and taking the ball from the players before setting up attacks. Far more effective than N'Didi, Tielemans and Praet yesterday. He WILL be needed against Sheffield to pressure the ball and get the turnovers otherwise it could be a long afternoon for us. tielemans and Praet are not going to get the ball from anyone.

I think we were terrible until they scored. After that for the rest of the first half we were as good as them without any teeth and in the second half we were much much better than them.

I don't know what to say

47 minutes ago, FIF said:

Firstly, I've watched the game three times and completely disagree on Praet, he gets stuck in and releases us three times (in 15 minutes) for potential goal scoring opportunities, something Hamza probably would not have done.

I like Hamza, but when we're in possession, he sits so deep we end up losing our numbers in midfield. He consistently drops as deep as the centre backs when he should be finding space further forward to open an angle.

In terms of harrying, yes, he was more effective - this became pointless when we have the majority of the ball though, at that stage we need ball progression.

Your statement on Praet not getting the ball back is also plainly false. He completed three times as many tackles as Hamza, in just the short period he was playing.

• Like 3

Not had time to read the whole thread, but not sure if this has been posted: 

Three great things, 1. how close they are as a team, I love the camaraderie, 2. the passion and desire is evident, let's get behind Ndidi to help his confidence, and 3. great to hear Maddison is going to be practicing his shooting to take those chances. Great interview.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Praet looked slow and ponderous. 

I agree with the first paragraph, but the bit about Praet is utter tosh. 

13 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Firstly, I've watched the game three times and completely disagree on Praet, he gets stuck in and releases us three times (in 15 minutes) for potential goal scoring opportunities, something Hamza probably would not have done.

I like Hamza, but when we're in possession, he sits so deep we end up losing our numbers in midfield. He consistently drops as deep as the centre backs when he should be finding space further forward to open an angle.

In terms of harrying, yes, he was more effective - this became pointless when we have the majority of the ball though, at that stage we need ball progression.

Your statement on Praet not getting the ball back is also plainly false. He completed three times as many tackles as Hamza, in just the short period he was playing.

There was a great early opportunity where Hamza won the ball, simple pass and Vardy was away. He messed up it. 

The first fifteen we were all over the place in midfield and Jorginho ran the game. Towards the end of first half, Tielemans began to find his position playing in the half space where he exchanged passes with Ricky P and Perez. Hamza struggled for that understanding

of his positioning. He has some great qualities but needs to develop some parts of his game. 

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Some great points there and I agree with most.

Our slow starts (just like under Puel) are going to cost us unless we address them very quickly, and whilst I agree we were great after half time Chelsea should/could have been out of sight without a couple of crucial saves from Kasper, a great tackle from Fuchs and several big missed chances, especially Mount's header. I thought Praet looked skillful in his short cameo, but I totally agree that Tielemans hasn't yet done much to impress in his two matches.

I'm not sure I agree with playing two defensive midfielders though, especially at home or away games where we should be looking to win. We are not as balanced without a pure winger in the team. It also looks like Perez and Maddison are unsure of their roles in this current BR set up, are they wingers, are they No. 10's, No 8's or what? They don't seem to know, especially Perez (I'm not critical of him because I think he looks lost in this set up) and it was only when Maddison moved to his last seasons position he really played well. Until then he was poor.

If BR wants to play without wingers why not try 3 at the back with Ricardo and Chilwell (Fuchs) as pure wing backs? That would end the need for two defensive midfielders and enable the team to balance better with three creative midfielders interchanging just behind Vardy and Perez.

I'd certainly have put Barnes on instead of Albrighton as he's more of an impact player and more direct too.

Defensively Evans looks solid and commanding and it's great to see some pace at the back, after Morgan & Maguire, with Soyuncu, who's also playing well. Ricardo is still a bit wobbly in defence, but so exciting going forward.

BR must sort out our tempo at the start of matches, or it'll become a familiar story to the Puel days of conceding early and chasing the game. 

Sheff Utd next week. A must win game for us if we're serious about a serious challenge for Europe, but it'll be a tough match as they will be confident after the Palace win.

51 minutes ago, FIF said:

This reply ignores your daft comment about us looking less dangerous after Hamza went off. 

As for the bit in bold... you worked this out despite having only seen him in his 'first tast of PL football'?

Try this - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0007t4q/match-of-the-day-2-201920-18082019 from 10:05.