Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Leicester Appoint 'Head of Emerging Talent'

Anyone fancy a new job :P

Leicester City Academy are seeking an outstanding individual to lead a larger and restructured academy recruitment team.

Background to the Club

Leicester City Football Club, also known as the Foxes, is a top-flight English football club, going into their sixth consecutive season in the Premier League. In 2015/16, ranked as 5000-1 outsiders, Leicester City were crowned Premier League champions. 

In 2010, the Club was bought by Asian Football Investments, a Thai-led consortium fronted by King Power’s founder and Chairman, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha. The stadium was named King Power Stadium in 2011 and one year later in 2012, King Power International became sole owners of the Club.

Leicester City Football Club is an ambitious and forward-thinking club. It is deeply committed to the local community and its supporters and continually strives to ensure that every point of engagement with fans is truly world-class including the experience on matchdays.

The Club is now continuing to make significant strategic investments across the whole organisation and major expansion plans are in hand. It is an extremely exciting time for the Club with plans for a new state-of-the-art 180-acre, £100M training ground.

About The Role

Leicester City Academy are seeking an outstanding individual to lead a larger and restructured academy recruitment team. Utilising the experience already in the team you will build on the solid foundations to develop a new department that will drive the academy forwards. 

With four Academy graduates in the current first team squad, a manager that values and understands Academy football and a new training ground only 12 months from completion, there has never been a more exciting time to join the Leicester City Academy.

Who We’re Looking For 

As the Head of Emerging Talent, you will be enthusiastic and passionate about young people and academy football.

The successful candidate will be required to develop a strategy and process that uses objective and subjective scouting methods to identify and recommend players for signing. Therefore, you will need extensive experience in academy and youth football with a particular focus on developing and executing strategy.

Essential requirements

- Extensive full time experience in the identification of young players for academy football or similar role.
- Completed or working towards FA Level 3 or 4 in Talent Management, Strategy and Leadership in football.
- Experiencing in managing staff.

33 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I won the Champions League with City on Championship Manager 05/06.

Might give it a bash.

I won everything with York on FM 2006.  Granted that being able to hire a load of decent coaches from Hungary on day 1 might have helped somewhat. As well as the regens...

Applied.

I have just won the Premier League and Europa League on FM mobile with City. Only used the "Sugar Daddy" option 3 times in 3 seasons so...

Jovic and Haller up top, Sancho and Madders out wide with Tielemans and Aouar in the middle.

Proof that I can spot young hidden talent like nobody else.

In terms of determining the future of the club, this may be the most critical LCFC hire in the next few years.*  The talent conveyor will be the differentiator in the long run.  It can’t turn out diamonds if the input is dirt.

But that “role” description is teasingly brief.  It reads like an NFL-style separation of amateur talent recruitment from pro personnel recruitment.  Maybe this person and Congerton each having scouts, sharing analysis resources, both reporting to Rudkin?

Does anyone have a better sense how this person/department will fit into the organization?

* assuming Whelan and Rudkin likely going nowhere, and our basic playing style and youth-first philosophy are now “club DNA” regardless of manager.

• Like 2

Has there been any analysis done on the effectiveness of buying/recruiting in players for academies at an older age rather than them being brought up the various age groups? The reason I ask is because we seem to have seen an increase in the signings of 17-21 year olds for our academy in recent years and so far none of them have looked capable of having a future in the first team, as opposed to Chilwell, Barnes and Choudhury who have all come through the ranks and some of them explicitly gone on record as how good some of the coaches at a younger age group have been for them at Leicester. There's not been too much praise thrown Beaglehole's way nor have Chilwell and Barnes played in the U23's that much before they were loaned out and really progressed in to first team football. The last couple of players who came through here who I think we got at a slightly older age was Kingy (legend) and Max Gradel, both joined 16+ I think.

So although the U23's might not be where players are " made " it is essential that the younger players from the U16's and 18's get exposure to playing at a higher level as early as possible and this isn't necessarily happening.

This new role seem exclusive to recruitment which is an important role but for me the key fundamental of the academy is having the very best innovative coaches through the age groups that constantly get the very best out of the young players we have on our books. I am intrigued as to what improvements we see in this regard, it's not happened yet when you'd have thought it would have been a priority.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Has there been any analysis done on the effectiveness of buying/recruiting in players for academies at an older age rather than them being brought up the various age groups?

We have a thing in the last few years for picking up older players who have experience of league football for what I assume, filling out the u23s to achieve a better league position. During this time no-one looks capable of playing first team football or being successful out on loan. I'm certain that u18's progression into the u23s is being delayed due to signings such as,

• Mitch Clark who signed this summer as a 20 year old after a full season in league two, thrown into our u23's which will almost certainly shunt his progression and any upcoming player in the u18s in his position. Will he ever play for the club? The below examples suggest a big fat no.
  • Sam Hughes signed a few years ago as a 20 year old after a full season in the conference. Has he made any profession in two years? Of course not, he could have been playing at league two/one level if he'd joined someone else in 2017.
  • George Thomas signed a few years ago as a 20 year old after a full season in League one where he scored 9 goals. Has he made any profession in two years? Of course not, he could have been playing at Championship level if he'd joined someone else in 2017. Instead, in his last loan back in League one, he struggled to get a game for a Scunthorpe who ended up relegated.
  • George Hirst another 20 year old... did nothing in 2nd division in Belgium and hasn't even appeared for us since signing. He'd be better off at a league one/two club and continue his career, instead he's here to compete with Reghba, Uche, Eppiah, Muskwe for a place in our u23s, and certainly will shunt his progression and any upcoming player in the u18s in his position such as Will Russ, Pennant, Arlott-John. These need to be experiencing football other than u18s soon if they're going to have a good career.
  • Ryan Loft lol
  • Then you've got players who were in our u18s and did make the progression a few years ago, before this started happening. The likes of Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, Darnell Johnson, Ndukwu are they progressing? They've been stuck in the u23s for years, barely any have been sent out on loan and just seem to be wasting their career, at 21 are they still going to be here without a first team appearance like Callum Elder was at 24?
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

We have a thing in the last few years for picking up older players who have experience of league football for what I assume, filling out the u23s to achieve a better league position. During this time no-one looks capable of playing first team football or being successful out on loan. I'm certain that u18's progression into the u23s is being delayed due to signings such as,

• Mitch Clark who signed this summer as a 20 year old after a full season in league two, thrown into our u23's which will almost certainly shunt his progression and any upcoming player in the u18s in his position. Will he ever play for the club? The below examples suggest a big fat no.
  • Sam Hughes signed a few years ago as a 20 year old after a full season in the conference. Has he made any profession in two years? Of course not, he could have been playing at league two/one level if he'd joined someone else in 2017.
  • George Thomas signed a few years ago as a 20 year old after a full season in League one where he scored 9 goals. Has he made any profession in two years? Of course not, he could have been playing at Championship level if he'd joined someone else in 2017. Instead, in his last loan back in League one, he struggled to get a game for a Scunthorpe who ended up relegated.
  • George Hirst another 20 year old... did nothing in 2nd division in Belgium and hasn't even appeared for us since signing. He'd be better off at a league one/two club and continue his career, instead he's here to compete with Reghba, Uche, Eppiah, Muskwe for a place in our u23s, and certainly will shunt his progression and any upcoming player in the u18s in his position such as Will Russ, Pennant, Arlott-John. These need to be experiencing football other than u18s soon if they're going to have a good career.
  • Ryan Loft lol
  • Then you've got players who were in our u18s and did make the progression a few years ago, before this started happening. The likes of Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, Darnell Johnson, Ndukwu are they progressing? They've been stuck in the u23s for years, barely any have been sent out on loan and just seem to be wasting their career, at 21 are they still going to be here without a first team appearance like Callum Elder was at 24?

Our issue seems to be around getting that talent through the u23s, into loans and then into the first team

3 hours ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Does FM experience count? I pride myself on my ability to develop the Clubs youth system. I will require a clause in my contact to be able to replay games if the result doesnt go my way though in the absence of a reload.

I've currently got a 20/20 rating for youth policy as Leicester manager on fm so this would be perfect for me. I've also won the premier league 4 times in a row and have a squad worth over a billion! 

I'd get rid of the U23 team. If these kids are good enough they'll be able to play in League Two/National League from a young age and gain competitive experience as they go up the leagues which is invaluable. We tend to sign players around the 18-21 bracket and just use them to fill the U23s with no real hope of them breaking through into the first team. Look at George Thomas etc. Absolute waste of time.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

I've currently got a 20/20 rating for youth policy as Leicester manager on fm so this would be perfect for me. I've also won the premier league 4 times in a row and have a squad worth over a billion! 

Great. Cheers for sh*****g all over my CV. That's me out of contention!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Frost said:

I'd get rid of the U23 team. If these kids are good enough they'll be able to play in League Two/National League from a young age and gain competitive experience as they go up the leagues which is invaluable. We tend to sign players around the 18-21 bracket and just use them to fill the U23s with no real hope of them breaking through into the first team. Look at George Thomas etc. Absolute waste of time.

I've been saying this for a while, if by 21/22 they're not pushing for at least bench spot or if there's no foreseeable opening for them on the bench then they should be put on a long term loan or preferable moved on with a buy back clause.

• Like 2