Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Football Manager 2020

The match engine is still so flawed and it's incredibly frustrating that they still haven't brought out a suitable patch in the months since release. I guess that's what happens when you have literally no competition in the market :dunno:

• The 1 on 1's are so bad it's not even funny, Erling Haaland on my Leicester save will go 10 matches missing every 1 on 1 and then end up scoring 6 in the next game lol
  • Fancy playing anything other than an incredibly deep defensive line? Well unlucky, because every opposition CB on the game will pick out an inch perfect ball over the top (don't worry though 9 out of 10 times their striker will miss the 1 on 1) 
  • Want to sign a target man and 2 big bastard CB's? Well there is literally no point because you wont score any corners, this game isn't designed for any aspiring Sam Allardyce/Tony Pulis'
  • Oh you have a centre back with 17 passing do you? Well he will frequently forget what his team mates look like and slot a through ball to their attackers.

Just a few observations on the 3 seasons I've managed to struggle through since early December lol

• Like 2

I've said it before but SI essentially regurgitate the same ME every year with AI tweaks and graphical improvements. 

It needs totally rebuilding from the ground up, as it's totally stagnated and SI seem to have pushed it as far as they can. I stopped playing FM20 and got a refund, but it seems from what you guys are saying, it's getting worse year-on-year.

Unfortunately, it seems that with an annual release cycle, a BRAND NEW match engine is unlikely.

3 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

I guess that's what happens when you have literally no competition in the market :dunno:

Exactly this. SI has become lazy. The lack of meaningful features added annually is the reason I stopped buying, actual development of the series has slowed to a crawl. You're essentially buying a roster update and a few UI tweaks every year. Press conferences are a case in point, I swear they've been the same mind-numbingly tedious questions since about FM2010.

The industry is screaming out for someone to come out with a proper challenger to FM (there are a few poor imitators, but nothing comes close)

Problem is, as dated as the ME is and the lack of additional features disappointing each year, SI have such a wealth of data built up that it's hard to see anyone ever coming close.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Exactly this. SI has become lazy. The lack of meaningful features added annually is the reason I stopped buying, actual development of the series has slowed to a crawl. You're essentially buying a roster update and a few UI tweaks every year. Press conferences are a case in point, I swear they've been the same mind-numbingly tedious questions since about FM2010.

The industry is screaming out for someone to come out with a proper challenger to FM (there are a few poor imitators, but nothing comes close)

Problem is, as dated as the ME is and the lack of additional features disappointing each year, SI have such a wealth of data built up that it's hard to see anyone ever coming close.

The only devs that came even a bit close recently were EA, and that wasn't a particularly good effort. trouble is FM have such a large fanbase its hard to EA to consider it worth the dev time, but really, if they made fifa a bit more in depth on the management side for single player career mode ,that would be enough for me, then maybe another fifa manager down the line. there were a lot of things i liked about that

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

The match engine is still so flawed and it's incredibly frustrating that they still haven't brought out a suitable patch in the months since release. I guess that's what happens when you have literally no competition in the market :dunno:

• The 1 on 1's are so bad it's not even funny, Erling Haaland on my Leicester save will go 10 matches missing every 1 on 1 and then end up scoring 6 in the next game lol
  • Fancy playing anything other than an incredibly deep defensive line? Well unlucky, because every opposition CB on the game will pick out an inch perfect ball over the top (don't worry though 9 out of 10 times their striker will miss the 1 on 1) 
  • Want to sign a target man and 2 big bastard CB's? Well there is literally no point because you wont score any corners, this game isn't designed for any aspiring Sam Allardyce/Tony Pulis'
  • Oh you have a centre back with 17 passing do you? Well he will frequently forget what his team mates look like and slot a through ball to their attackers.

Just a few observations on the 3 seasons I've managed to struggle through since early December lol

Oli Watkins scores a few from corners in my Brentford team.

The 1-1 stuff is a joke though.

I really like the new Club vision and Development Centre stuff, but the one on ones thing is doing my head in. Time and again, Vardy runs through with only the keeper to beat, and yet either misses or hits it straight at the keeper. Same for opponents - Aguero, Salah, Rashford. Doesn't matter. One on one? No sweat, 19 times out of 20 they won't score.

Might have to go back to an older version I think..

On 15/01/2020 at 09:23, EnderbyFox said:

What angers me is when my winger is away, it's 2 on 1, he's got my main striker free in the six yard box for quite literally a tap in...... what does the winger do.... shoot from a stupid tight angle and its put behind for a corner.

I swear no winger in that situation would do that (unless it's Mo Salah).

Edited by Fox92

On 16/01/2020 at 13:14, The Bear said:

Which was the first version with the 2D top down view? I really liked that one, rather than the shonky looking 3D rubbish. I seem to remember one-on-ones were scored much more often than not too. 

On 16/01/2020 at 13:25, Dan LCFC said:

I've not played 3D on FM ever. 2D classic is just the 'thing' for FM as far as I'm concerned.

It's garbage graphics, no point pretending otherwise, at least with 2D classic you get a better idea of the movement.

Instant result normally, big games (cup finals) I will make the effort for 2D lol

Seems that they might have fixed the 1 on 1's and wingers shooting all the time, if you right click on FM 20 on Steam go to the beta option click accept beta it will download a new patch. Played last night and my striker was scoring 1 on 1's and my wingers seemed to square it more often than shooting.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2020 at 13:44, Fox92 said:

What angers me is when my winger is away, it's 2 on 1, he's got my main striker free in the six yard box for quite literally a tap in...... what does the winger do.... shoot from a stupid tight angle and its put behind for a corner.

I swear no winger in that situation would do that (unless it's Mo Salah Demarai Gray).

15 minutes ago, Lcfclad2013 said:

Seems that they might have fixed the 1 on 1's and wingers shooting all the time, if you right click on FM 20 on Steam go to the beta option click accept beta it will download a new patch. Played last night and my striker was scoring 1 on 1's and my wingers seemed to square it more often than shooting.

vvozrIo.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lcfclad2013 said:

feedback on the SI forums is that it is even worse. Some guy reports being 20 games in a no striker anywhere in the world has reached 10 goals!

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

feedback on the SI forums is that it is even worse. Some guy reports being 20 games in a no striker anywhere in the world has reached 10 goals!

Seems as if this could be true if multiple people are saying it on the forums. Ive played around 6 games and my striker at least is scoring more goals than before (well 1 on 1's and tap ins from wingers passing it across). I'll play more tonight and see if I come across any problems like on the forum.

19 hours ago, Beliall said:

thing about the forum is , people who enjoy the game, dont post, and thse that are bad at the game, complain all the time

lol so true! I'll always love it, I sometimes think when I read the complaints that maybe i'm not fussy enough? I just love it, I don't care about glitches or whatever... I just want to play the same game i've loved for about 20 years!

On 21/01/2020 at 13:12, AjcW said:

lol so true! I'll always love it, I sometimes think when I read the complaints that maybe i'm not fussy enough? I just love it, I don't care about glitches or whatever... I just want to play the same game i've loved for about 20 years!

Luckilly for you, it hasn't changed in 20 years