Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Tottenham Hotspur (H) pre match

6 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I don't think it matters, the top sides seem to play a prem game followed by a european game then most of their players go on international duty, come back, do it again with the same players and still look fitter and stronger than us.

yeah they are used to it. Will make no difference for us. We got  bossed by Man utds weakest teams in years. The only chance we have got is if Brendan doesnt play the same formation and 2 DMs.

Edited by les-tah

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... is Rodgers managing with fear?

Could it be he lacks confidence in the CB to do this, or does he have one eye on his job! 

The thing about shoehorning players out of position (Maddison for example) to accommodate two holding midfielders suggests to me he's being overly cautious and a bit uncharacteristic in that regard yes.

That's why I mentioned Maguire who was very good at stepping into midfield with the ball, had he still be in situe then I imagine this conversation would be moot.  You can only assume he doesn't trust any of his current centre back's to encourage them to do this yet.  Maybe he's playing two holding midfielders all the time as a way to try and compensate for this, who knows.

Edited by henrik_62

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

I dug up this graph

738562277_SPCBPassingchart.thumb.JPG.42d6257c42627cbd5a685f7ce396ddb9.JPG

showing that Benkovic (and his CB partners) were ultra-conservative passers last year.  Contrasting all-hoof Livingston :S  Is this indicative of a hard-and-fast preference for the gradual buildup?  Does Rodgers-ball totally exclude the long ball from the back?    #freeverdy

I'd be happy with a good complementary duo at the back.  A ball-player who can defend like a hero (Cags), and a hero defender who can play the ball (Evans).  I’ve been seeing Benko as the eventual Evans replacement, with Soyuncu as Maguire’s.  But it sounds like they could become not just a well-rounded pair, but a pair where each one is well-rounded.

Very interesting that graph, thanks for posting.  That said those kind of stats can be a bit misleading sometimes as a lot of the time, Benkovic would surge forward but it would usually lead to a pass out wide which would in turn lead to a chance, so more often than not the centre back moving into midfield would create an indirect chance if that makes sense.

On the point of the long ball I'd say yes, Rodgers absolutely vetoes it and never plays it, which can be to his sides' detriment sometimes.  For example, we'd try and pass it from the keeper (who was poor with the ball at his feet) inside our own 18 yard box against Neymar, Cavani and Mbappe and ended up getting caught out every time and getting a pasting.  That PSG away game is the hardest game I've watched as a Celtic fan as it was like footballing suicide, even after shipping 5 goals with 30 minutes still to play we were still trying to do it.

As great a coach as he is one of my few criticisms of him is he's too stubborn in sticking to his idyllic principles at times, even when it's obvious it's to the team's detriment.

It feeds into an interesting debate that's raging on just now around Rodgers and Lennon.  Domestically Rodgers was the master and untouchable and over the piece undoubtedly the better manager (maybe coach is more accurate).  However in Europe we did and probably will achieve far better results under Lennon as he's aware we can't play expansively and try and beat better sides at their own game.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, les-tah said:

yeah they are used to it. Will make no difference for us. We got  bossed by Man utds weakest teams in years. The only chance we have got is if Brendan doesnt play the same formation and 2 DMs.

I really hope he doesn't turn out to be a not lose type of manager instead of a win type. He's got the players.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2019 at 17:37, Donk said:

I Personally like a lopsided 4-1-4-1:

---------------------------------  Vardy

Barnes---------------------------------------Maddison

-------------------Tielemans-------------------------------------------Albrighton

Chilwell--------------------------------------- Ndidi

----------------------Evans------------------Soyuncu-----------------Riccardo

-------------------------------Schmeichel

Looks more   3 2 2 2 1  to me ....   and why are Albrighton and Ricardo starting in the front row seating ? .....    novel, but very odd.

They will come out full tilt and try to get the early goal. Teams know from last season that Leicester struggle to score against packed-in defenses. Score early and sit in and you will win. This is what Man U did last week. 

If we can survive the first 30 min without conceding we have a chance to get something. 

5 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Looks more   3 2 2 2 1  to me ....   and why are Albrighton and Ricardo starting in the front row seating ? .....    novel, but very odd.

It looks different on my phone than on my macbook....sorry not very technical and cant explain why 😎

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Genuinely a bit lost for words by this. I know everyone sees the world differently but I don't get how anyone could watch Maddison, watch us play, watch how we are when he's in the middle, watch how we are when he's "wide", put all of those things together and then say that. 

And I mean anyone, even someone that doesn't follow football. 

To hear a top flight football manager with a solid track record of tactical awareness say it is just utterly bizarre. 

I can't make a single bit of sense of it. I cannot work it out. It's done me.

6 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I can't make a single bit of sense of it. I cannot work it out. It's done me.

It really depresses me to be honest. 

I do maintain faith that he'll get over it and it's just a phase but it's so disappointing. 

I feel now a bit like I did in 16/17. Why do managers do this? Why do managers have a winning model in their hands and have to change it. There was no need for Claudio to force change after 15/16, it was mad. 

The way Rodgers ended the year last year was on such a high note, a note we've shown is still there with Bournemouth. 

So why are we forcing this rubbish. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Genuinely a bit lost for words by this. I know everyone sees the world differently but I don't get how anyone could watch Maddison, watch us play, watch how we are when he's in the middle, watch how we are when he's "wide", put all of those things together and then say that. 

And I mean anyone, even someone that doesn't follow football. 

To hear a top flight football manager with a solid track record of tactical awareness say it is just utterly bizarre. 

I cannot believe what I am reading, if he carries on spouting shit like this and the evidence backs up its shit then he can do one as far as I'm concerned. What on earth is he up to? 

How can he view the performances and results in the 9-10 games he has played 4-1-4-1 with Maddison and Tielemans in the centre together vs the 5-6 games he's had him on the wing that's not resulted in a single victory yet?

I'm speechless

• Like 1