Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Tottenham Hotspur (H) pre match

6 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

like i said to dan on twitter, the worst part about that comment is "manchester united do it too", as if we should aspire to be manchester united. they're fu cking garbage.

if we've gone all out to get rodgers and given him full control of everything and all he can come up with is an attempt to copy tactics off ole gunnar solskjaer then he can get fu cked. 

The irony is Man Utd don't do it, Daniel James is an out and out winger, as is Martial. Even Juan Mata has spent a large chunk of his career as a winger. 

We should have seen the signs in the summer when he said he wanted one winger to provide width and the other to cut inside. He didn't mean the winger that cut inside was actually a winger though, just a central player who is abysmal on the wing and HAS to cut in or drift in anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Compare that with us playing Maddison on the wing in 6 games where we have scored 3 goals, 2 of which have been assisted by Maddison and zero from Tielemans. So 0.5 goals a match collectively for the team.

Did you include the Arsenal game in that? The three goals in that match came after half time when he brought Barnes on for Ndidi and went back to normal. (well it felt like normal at the time)

On 18/09/2019 at 06:50, Dan LCFC said:

I'd take that. The performances have been the concern for me more than anything. Like I said elsewhere, we've played three good halves out of twelve for me so far, a couple of average but more poor than good.

We've been more average than good, but (apart from the first 20 minutes at Chelsea) hardly poor.

I realize expectations are sky-high this season, but frankly could not think of any game that I sat there thinking we would be lucky or glad to escape defeat. The prevailing sentiment during each game this season for the most part has been why are we not doing more to win it.

Edited by NaijaFox

2 minutes ago, Mark said:

Did you include the Arsenal game in that? The three goals came after half time when he brought Barnes on for Ndidi and went back to normal. (well it felt like normal at the time)

Yeah, I've included that in the 4-1-4-1 stats. Since then we have played 4-3-3 with Maddison on the wing 6 times and only scored 3 times and won only one of those in a scrappy 2-1 win vs Sheffield Utd. Tielemans has created nothing and Vardy has barely had a touch, scoring only once. Staggering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Games played 4-1-4-1 with Maddison in the centre with Tielemans

Won 3-1 v Fulham - Maddison assist, Tielemans goal, Barnes assist

Won 2-1 v Burnley - Maddison goal, Tielemans assist

Won 2-0 v Bournemouth - Tielemans assist

Won 4-1 v Huddersfield - Maddison and Tielemans with a goal each

Won 3-0 v Arsenal - this was the first appearance of Maddison on the wing but thankfully when they went to 10 men we brought on Barnes at half time and Maddison resumed his role with Youri. Result? Maddison assist and Tielemans goal

Won 3-1 v Bournemouth - the only game this season he was selected it at Tielemans scores one and assists one

So out of 8 games we've played 4-1-4-1 we have scored 19 goals, of which Maddison has scored 2 and assisted 2 and Tielemans has scored 4 and assisted 4 I think? (got 2 further assists before 4-1-4-1 although again he was paired with Maddison in a similar system) So that's 2.4 goals a game the team has scored in this system.

Compare that with us playing Maddison on the wing in 6 games where we have scored 3 goals, 2 of which have been assisted by Maddison and zero from Tielemans. So 0.5 goals a match collectively for the team.

Even taking in to account the level of opposition faced against the differing systems and hopefully Rodgers at least showing he's willing to go back to 4-1-4-1 vs the dross in this division it is beggars belief how he is moving away from such a strong system for his two key creative players, Tielemans being the one who suffers the most as well as Vardy evidently being anonymous once again in the current system. Maddison's goal output is fairly poor anyway, his last goal from open play was in December last year but the work he does with Tielemans in a 4-1-4-1 for the team as a whole is essential, his assists in these games have all been from open play where as 1 of his 2 assists when he's played on the wing under Brendaball was a set piece which isnt formation dependent. 

I'm very angry. Sort it out Brendan!!!!!

I just wish he'd grow a pair and play like this away from home. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Guest said:

It would be alarming if he did say that but as far as I can tell he's not said that at all. The full story on the Mercury site (link) reads: "We played our way into the game and when we changed it, with the winger and putting James inside, we got a better link between the midfield and the front-line. I think it helped us but we couldn’t quite make the final pass." I.e. he says we were better when we brought Barnes on and moved Maddison back inside, not that playing Maddison wide gives us a better link/helps us. 

Makes far more sense...:clap:

55 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The irony is Man Utd don't do it, Daniel James is an out and out winger, as is Martial. Even Juan Mata has spent a large chunk of his career as a winger. 

We should have seen the signs in the summer when he said he wanted one winger to provide width and the other to cut inside. He didn't mean the winger that cut inside was actually a winger though, just a central player who is abysmal on the wing and HAS to cut in or drift in anyway.

Excerpted from the full article...

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-take-playing-james-3328605

"I suppose, if you look at Manchester United, they do similar. They have young Daniel James as an ou-and-out winger on the one side and Pereira on the inside.

"It’s something that you will do to try to get your numbers in midfield."

48 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

"I suppose, if you look at Manchester United, they do similar. They have young Daniel James as an ou-and-out winger on the one side and Pereira on the inside.

"It’s something that you will do to try to get your numbers in midfield."

We don't need more numbers in midfield though. Our issue isn't retaining the ball - we have enough it's that we don't have any penetration when we have faceless players on the wings. Barnes stretches the opposition, Youri and Maddison then have the space to play in because we're not congesting the centre and can find pockets, feed the wingers/Vardy that way. We all knew Rodgers was stubborn but not necessary inflexible. If he can't see it you'd think the other coaches, Davies, Kolo and Sadler at least would.

Rodgers doesn't trust Maddison and Tielemans as a pair defensively but totally stunting our attacking play because we might concede more isn't worth it and is so uncharacteristically conservative from Rodgers.

1 hour ago, NaijaFox said:

We've been more average than good, but (apart from the first 20 minutes at Chelsea) hardly poor.

I realize expectations are sky-high this season, but frankly could not think of any game that I sat there thinking we would be lucky or glad to escape defeat. The prevailing sentiment during each this season for the most part has been why are we not doing more to win it.

Wolves we were lucky to draw. Sheffield United I think could've gone any way and a draw would probably have been about fair. Chelsea we got better as it went on (Maddison came inside I seem to recall). Man Utd was a pathetic performance.

For me it's not about stupidly high expectations. I feel like we're playing within ourselves, imposing restrictions upon ourselves when there is evidence to suggest we've got the tools for a lot better.

I cannot fathom him thinking Maddison out wide is better than in the centre. It's just... honestly. It's like thinking Vardy's a better winger than striker.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We don't need more numbers in midfield though. Our issue isn't retaining the ball - we have enough it's that we don't have any penetration when we have faceless players on the wings. Barnes stretches the opposition, Youri and Maddison then have the space to play in because we're not congesting the centre and can find pockets, feed the wingers/Vardy that way. We all knew Rodgers was stubborn but not necessary inflexible. If he can't see it you'd think the other coaches, Davies, Kolo and Sadler at least would.

Rodgers doesn't trust Maddison and Tielemans as a pair defensively but totally stunting our attacking play because we might concede more isn't worth it and is so uncharacteristically conservative from Rodgers.

It's also not the case as we've kept one clean sheet this season, and even in the one we did keep one, we were fortunate not to and conceded a goal that, quite frankly would've counted any other season in football history.

I'm not suggesting we have defensive issues but I feel like we're improving that marginally at absolute most (and maybe not even at all) while at the same time crucifying our own attacking.

I really hope that tweet is a bit of a misquote.

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Games played 4-1-4-1 with Maddison in the centre with Tielemans

Won 3-1 v Fulham - Maddison assist, Tielemans goal, Barnes assist

Won 2-1 v Burnley - Maddison goal, Tielemans assist

Won 2-0 v Bournemouth - Tielemans assist

Won 4-1 v Huddersfield - Maddison and Tielemans with a goal each

Won 3-0 v Arsenal - this was the first appearance of Maddison on the wing but thankfully when they went to 10 men we brought on Barnes at half time and Maddison resumed his role with Youri. Result? Maddison assist and Tielemans goal

Won 3-1 v Bournemouth - the only game this season he was selected it at Tielemans scores one and assists one

So out of 8 games we've played 4-1-4-1 we have scored 19 goals, of which Maddison has scored 2 and assisted 2 and Tielemans has scored 4 and assisted 4 I think? (got 2 further assists before 4-1-4-1 although again he was paired with Maddison in a similar system) So that's 2.4 goals a game the team has scored in this system.

Even taking in to account the level of opposition faced against the differing systems and hopefully Rodgers at least showing he's willing to go back to 4-1-4-1 vs the dross in this division it is beggars belief how he is moving away from such a strong system for his two key creative players, Tielemans being the one who suffers the most as well as Vardy evidently being anonymous once again in the current system. Maddison's goal output is fairly poor anyway, his last goal from open play was in December last year but the work he does with Tielemans in a 4-1-4-1 for the team as a whole is essential, his assists in these games have all been from open play where as 1 of his 2 assists when he's played on the wing under Brendaball was a set piece which isnt formation dependent. 

I'm very angry. Sort it out Brendan!!!!!

Wow, I think that's quite enlightening and damning really. If you couple that with what he's just said re playing Maddison out on the wing it sounds a little worrying. Will he change it or stubbornly stick to it in order to fulfil the media hype of him being a supposef tactical genius. I can just about stomach his sickly media blarney after the polar opposite in Puel but are we seeing yet another individual with a messiah complex. The United game in particular angered me. Whilst you would never expect to automatically beat them at home they are not what they were and were without key players. If you have any pretentions of breaking into the top 6, surely you have to at least try and beat other competing top 6 teams? Outside of the top two I don't see any other team whereby, with the players at our disposal, we wouldn't at least start with a positive mind set. Rodgers very much talks the talk but we will very soon find out if he can walk. 

• Like 1

Not match related as such, more of a rant. But why oh why do our players all of a sudden get linked to a 'top 6 team' everytime we're about to play one?? For example, last week before the t**ts U*d game, Maddison was being linked with them and they are 'definitely' going to sign him in Jan or the summer. Before we played Chelsea they were apparently looking at signing Chilwell after their ban!! 

Now we come to play spurs and they are looking at Maddison now along with Barnes. Bit too much of a coincidence for my liking. Never really be linked before!! Notice a pattern

Not that I'm suggesting that the opposition are trying to unsettle one of our best players through the media to have an advantage. No, not at all! :ph34r:

Example - https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/tottenham-hotspur-fans-react-to-rumours-surrounding-leicester-city-attacker/

Edited by fox_favourite