Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Tottenham Hotspur (H) pre match

It’s possible that brendan views spurs being in between  the clubs we are trying to compete with (Chelsea, Arsenal, yanited, ) for 4/6th place and the top two. 

He wouldn’t play Man City or Liverpool without wilf and hamza for obvious reasons and he clearly won’t play those other three without them either (as he doesn’t want to lose points against these sides). 

but he may feel that we won’t be able to compete with spurs this season and as such perhaps they are more of a ‘free hit’, especially at home. 

If we hadn’t lost on Saturday then I would be sure we would start next Saturday with the two def midfielders ..... now I’m not  so convinced. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Kasper

Ricardo Evans Soyuncu Chilwell

Ndidi

Tielemans Choudhury

Albrighton----------------------Maddison

Vardy

I suspect that will be how we line up.  Which is a shame. The mentality here is to keep things tight at the beginning, then make a couple of attacking substitutions in the second half to try and win the game.

In my opinion, we have it the wrong way around.  Have Barnes or Perez start in place of Hamza and let Maddison play in the middle.  Get the goals first, then, if needed, bring Hamza on to defend a lead.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

If he HAS to play Ndidi and Choudhury together in midfield then one of Maddison or Tielemans should be benched and we still play proper wide forwards either side of Vardy. Barnes and Perez being my pick.

Massively agree. Though I wouldn't go with Perez as he just drifts inside anyway. Marky Marc and Harvey would be my shout

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Massively agree. Though I wouldn't go with Perez as he just drifts inside anyway. Marky Marc and Harvey would be my shout

Drifting in is not an issue as such as long as it's done in phases of play where there's support around for our creative players to find. When we play 4-1-4-1 both wingers will often drift but our full backs are usually pushing on and either Maddison or Tielemans have options to find. It's usually in this instance that space is created by the oppositions midfield and defence trying to track the runners and Vardy get's that extra bit of room to latch on to something. Can this all happen in a 4-3-3 with one of Tielemans and Maddison with Ndidi and Choudhury? Possibly but we have to set more traps and not be as obsessed over possession. We had 58% possession away at Man Utd and yet it was mostly horrible to watch.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. isn't this the reason why we are having this discussion? 

Maddison wide, two defensive midfielders....am I missing something here!! 

Spurs play a midfield 4. A midfield 4 that is better than ours.

That team is our best side. It's what we finished last season with. That side became the 3rd best in the league following Puel's sacking (in terms of points).

2 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Brendan shows fear we will lose. Brendan shows some guts, we will win. 

? Or, we might lose or win without either of those conditions being the main cause, because Spurs are an incredibly powerful and very inconsistent side? It's arrogance to say "If we don't give our opponents any respect, we will defeat them". We aren't Manchester City or something. 

• Like 1

Playing two DMs is not a bad idea when we're playing top six teams that are playing well. He'll play two DMs again with Maddison out wide and this place will explode. He'll also stutter through the pre and post match interview, play u23s regardless of form and rip off his face mask to reveal claude.

• Haha 1

Agree with everyone about a positive formation but as well as that we need a positive mentality also. 

I got the feeling the players themselves didn't think they could win on Saturday.

Though Norwich defended really well and had less than a third of the possession against Man City the players seemed to believe they could get something out of the game and played accordingly. We need to show the same mindset on Saturday 

10 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Playing two DMs is not a bad idea when we're playing top six teams that are playing well. He'll play two DMs again with Maddison out wide and this place will explode. He'll also stutter through the pre and post match interview, play u23s regardless of form and rip off his face mask to reveal claude.

Because there's no reason to play Madderz out wide in a 4-2-3-1... If he really is Puel in disguise, who gets the WUM award?

4 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

The biggest problem for Brendan is finding a way to stop Heung-Min Son running riot. If he can do that we have a chance.

The difference in both games last season (although at home we were poor without vards and they missed Kane ), Ali was also good at our place and winks ran the game. 

Yet at wembley we rinsed them but still managed to lose!  they were though without Kane and Ali. On the flip side we started with ghezzal wide and dimi upfront! 

if if you let them play the game at their tempo then you are struggling ......

15 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Spurs recent form is actually rank. 19 points from their last 17 Premier League games. 

9 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

They're not at all. I do think they are better than those three though.

They've not won a league away game since January and that frankly terrifies me.

Fair points, didnt realise!

Interesting how Brendan chooses to line up here. I would almost consider Maddison in a free role behind Vardy. Assuming all fit: 

Kasper

Ricardo     Evans     Soyuncu   Chilwell 

Ndidi

Albrighton   Tielemans   Praet

Maddison

Vardy

Subs:  Ward, Justin, Benkovic, Choudhury, Barnes, Perez, Iheanacho. 

On 14/09/2019 at 12:47, Sampson said:

But we haven't played well this season though if we're honest though, have we?

Even though we were 3rd many of us were less optimistic at the start of the season because of the performances.

It was a bit reminiscent of the time we were top in October under Peter Taylor despite not playing well at all and most of us knew it was a false position.

We’ve been INCONSISTENT but we have played very well in large patches - the Bournemouth game, last 70 minutes at Chelsea, and first-half at Sheffield United.

The international break arguably came at the worst possible time for us - before we really strung our good performances together and right before two tricky fixtures.

Edited by NaijaFox

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

? Or, we might lose or win without either of those conditions being the main cause, because Spurs are an incredibly powerful and very inconsistent side? It's arrogance to say "If we don't give our opponents any respect, we will defeat them". We aren't Manchester City or something. 

You can approach a game respecting your opponents whilst showing some belief yourself and aiming to attack without fear. Spurs are a good side, we all know that, but if we keep going in to these games showing too much respect we will get little out of them. 

There is nothing at all wrong in approaching a game, any game, with a desire and belief that you can win it, without being held back by the fears of your manager. Brendan is currently showing fear and too much caution. 

I believe if we approach this right and go for the throat we can win this game. Not sure I said anywhere that we should take Spurs lightly or indeed not have respect for them, but respect that hampers your ability to compete is, as we have seen, a very negative approach.  

Edited by ARM1968

I actually think we will go with Wilf and Hamza again for this one and unlike Saturday I won't have a problem with that.  Spurs along with Liverpool and Man City are probably the only three teams in the league I would set up with two DM's.

• Like 1

On 15/09/2019 at 02:08, An Sionnach said:

The problem is Wilf and Hamza are two of our best and most reliable players . If you like they could become our Viera.  and Petit . As I remember Arsenal fans didn't complain too much about defensive play . Our problem is we only have one threat up front.

Totally agree! Our defense has been more than decent and we’ve won the midfield tussle in all 5 league games thus far.

Our biggest issue thus far has been in the final third where we repeatedly play what the Americans would term “one-on-one” football almost always unsuccessfully. We thus have not created enough chances commensurate with our territorial dominance and often leave Vardy looking stranded alone. Spacing and movement in the final third has been subpar thus far, and even when we manage to get to the byline, there’s often not enough blue shirts inside the opposition box. The one time Tielemans ventured into the box, he scored.