Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Tottenham Hotspur (H) pre match

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Spurs play a midfield 4. A midfield 4 that is better than ours.

That team is our best side. It's what we finished last season with. That side became the 3rd best in the league following Puel's sacking (in terms of points).

.. I think you will find the successful set of players in that period contained Barnes and Gray in a predominantly  4-1 - 4-1 formation!!

• Like 2

Personally, I do NOT share in the mass pessimism pervading these pages. 

Despite the setback at Old Trafford, we have actually started quite well and have successfully navigated the types of games that would normally be troublesome just last season (Bournemouth and even Sheffield United). Unfortunately, the international break came just when it seemed we were getting into a consistent stride (cue the Bournemouth game).

Nonetheless, this game (more so than the Yanited game) is the first reality-check game that would best provide a much better indication of whether our Top 6 ambitions are realistic or delusional. If we cannot get points off an inconsistent Spurs team on our own HOME patch, the latter may be well better describe said Top 6 aspirations. 

Of course this is still only September. There’s a long way to go, and a lot of ‘known unknowns’ and ‘unknown unknowns’ to navigate, but I will stick my narrow neck out and boldly look forward to a point or three on Saturday. :scarf:

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Need Lloyd Dyer back on the wing. Stretch the play and knock it past full backs 

Type of winger we desperately need, get past the full back and smash it across the box and cause mayhem for defenders who can’t get a good touch on the ball with Vardy running between them all

I really thought Gray could of been this player when he first joined, now it is like he doesn’t really dare take on a player, certainly has the pace for it

Basically want Traore from Wolves but with a better end product than a sunday league player which he has

• Like 1

I Personally like a lopsided 4-1-4-1:

---------------------------------  Vardy

Barnes---------------------------------------Maddison

-------------------Tielemans-------------------------------------------Albrighton

Chilwell--------------------------------------- Ndidi

----------------------Evans------------------Soyuncu-----------------Riccardo

-------------------------------Schmeichel

The reason its lopsided is Barnes' inclination will be to come inside, so on the left hand side you have an overlap, and on the right hand side Albrighton will play as an out and out wide man, with Riccardo playing on the UNDERlap.

So there are times in possession where you've actually got a "central" midfield 3 of Ndidi holding, with Tielemans next to Riccardo, whilst Albrighton holds width.

From there, Maddison has freedom to do what he wants.

Edited by Donk

23 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Type of winger we desperately need, get past the full back and smash it across the box and cause mayhem for defenders who can’t get a good touch on the ball with Vardy running between them all

I really thought Gray could of been this player when he first joined, now it is like he doesn’t really dare take on a player, certainly has the pace for it

Basically want Traore from Wolves but with a better end product than a sunday league player which he has

42 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Need Lloyd Dyer back on the wing. Stretch the play and knock it past full backs 

There are hardly any top level "traditional" wingers left in the game I don't think.

There are a very select few who try to beat a man down the outside with pace and dribbling ability. The vast majority of "wing play" nowadays is done by full and wing backs, with most advanced wide men always wanting to come inside on their opposite foot into a number 10 type position.

Only out and out winger with any quality in England is probably Leroy Sane. hardly anyone else stands out imo

3 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

You can approach a game respecting your opponents whilst showing some belief yourself and aiming to attack without fear. Spurs are a good side, we all know that, but if we keep going in to these games showing too much respect we will get little out of them. 

There is nothing at all wrong in approaching a game, any game, with a desire and belief that you can win it, without being held back by the fears of your manager. Brendan is currently showing fear and too much caution. 

I believe if we approach this right and go for the throat we can win this game. Not sure I said anywhere that we should take Spurs lightly or indeed not have respect for them, but respect that hampers your ability to compete is, as we have seen, a very negative approach.  

Right, I agree with your sentiment, just the way you phrased "if Brendan shows some guts, we'll win" that rubbed me the wrong way. It's never a certain thing like that is what I was trying to say.

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Right, I agree with your sentiment, just the way you phrased "if Brendan shows some guts, we'll win" that rubbed me the wrong way. It's never a certain thing like that is what I was trying to say.

Yeah I agree. Didn’t  mean to rub you up mate - not my style :D

Edited by ARM1968
  • Like 1

Been a few days for the last performance to settle in the mind and the more I think about it the more frustrated I am. We just didn't look up for it. I have no problem losing to Manchester United (or any other team for that matter) - but its when we look as though something is missing and not going hell for leather to save a game.

The passing was poor, lacked accuracy and conviction and there was 0 players on that pitch who took any risks at all. We didn't try anything inventive or try taking on a man etc. Everyone was so average on that pitch barring Johnny Evans I would say. Even Ricardo looked like he wasn't ready for the game.

I understand people being negative and it sort of makes sense. For me I don't care at this moment about the result - as some of mentioned on this forum it's only September and in around a months time our fixtures take a turn for the better. My issue is that if on Saturday, at home to a team that has played well once this season, if we can't give it more of a go than last Saturday, then it would take a huge turnaround to make top 6 a reality. 

Our passing is going to need a snap, we are going need to close down, the midfield is going to have be resilient and we need to stand up to a team who will be difficult to stop. I'm interested to see how the players react - especially if he keeps the team unchanged. I think he will drop Gray for Albrighton but that is about it. I expect on seeing the 2 DMs especially if Alli, Son, Eriksen, Kane all start.

Come on boys, show us how much you want it!!

• Like 1

Question.

Play safe with 2DCM and try to contain, maybe nick a winner on the break or go for it and risk getting a tanking if it goes wrong and we get caught out ourselves?

Personally I would rather see us go down fighting trying to win it. No problem with bringing the extra DM on to steady the ship for the last quarter if are in front but if we start that way and then go behind we are always chasing the game rather than trying to dictate things. Fortunately not a decision I have to make from behind a keyboard. Unfortunately for Rodgers, whatever way he decides to go, if we lose then he will get stick for it from either faction. Win and then of course it was genius all along.

On 15/09/2019 at 09:39, Matt said:

Hindsights a wonderful thing, had we gone there, attacked, tried to play positive football and got a new arsehole ripped we'd all be saying we should have been cautious but negative football is no good for anyone and it goes without saying casuses frustration, negativity and pessimism. There's middle ground that needs to be found where we mix styles up abit, become abit of the unknown, teams questioning what they're gonna get against us, at the moment we're anything but unpredictable and far too predictable.

Nail on head.

Brendan thinks we need it.

We dont. I personally want to see the bournemouth attacking and if we get hammered, ir look like getting hammered, change it.

We had optimism, brendan might be right, but if he proves that to us, we will understand more. 

And what better game to find out.

Edited by gw_leics772

It is strange. Player for player they are a good side but they really are in such dire form. They've spent nearly half a season in form that would have you around 16th, and yet unlike Arsenal, I can't pinpoint their really obvious weaknesses.

I can only foresee a loss in this one for us....and that hurts badly when it's spurs.- Get it sorted on the pitch Rodgers, it counts for fcuk all winning every stat except one during the game. It's that stat of who won the game that matters most. I really don't give a flying frog about how you look and how well you handle the media.

23 hours ago, Houdini Logic said:

I really have no idea why people are talking about Tottenham like they're all that

Because they have a lot of great players, one of the best managers in the world and were in the Champions League final last season.

People on here think we're the dogs bollocks because we've beaten Sheffield United and Bournemouth.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Because they have a lot of great players, one of the best managers in the world and were in the Champions League final last season.

People on here think we're the dogs bollocks because we've beaten Sheffield United and Bournemouth.

Unpopular opinion alert !!!!!!!!!!

however, their away from this year isn't great - will be interesting to see if they put that right this weekend ……...

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Unpopular opinion alert !!!!!!!!!!

however, their away from this year isn't great - will be interesting to see if they put that right this weekend ……...

People don't rate Spurs because some on here thought it was outrageous of them to challenge us for the Premier League title.

Reality is they're a great side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1