Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Tottenham Hotspur (H) pre match

21 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Because they have a lot of great players, one of the best managers in the world and were in the Champions League final last season.

People on here think we're the dogs bollocks because we've beaten Sheffield United and Bournemouth.

But the fact is the last time they won away was January, they're above us only on goal difference (again with the only games they've won this season being at home), they're playing in Europe 3 days before coming to the KP and yet everyone keeps saying how this is a much harder test than Utd away? I just don't get it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, urban fox said:

Question.

Play safe with 2DCM and try to contain, maybe nick a winner on the break or go for it and risk getting a tanking if it goes wrong and we get caught out ourselves?

Personally I would rather see us go down fighting trying to win it. No problem with bringing the extra DM on to steady the ship for the last quarter if are in front but if we start that way and then go behind we are always chasing the game rather than trying to dictate things. Fortunately not a decision I have to make from behind a keyboard. Unfortunately for Rodgers, whatever way he decides to go, if we lose then he will get stick for it from either faction. Win and then of course it was genius all along.

...we lack the composure to play out from the back when pressed!!!

Newcastle did it to us and United started relentlessly. We just could not control the play and even with the two defensive midfielders we appeared to be over-run. Sitting off teams irrespective of it being forced, or of our choosing, is not the way we need to proceed. The negative implication in respect of formation and the introduction of Gray within the starting line up, would have had a negative mindset on the team, and although the title winning team played on the counter, we have moved, to an expansive game of which the players have clearly bought into. To constrict our ability to play on the front foot, greatly devalues our qualities and for me questions Rodgers plans!!.

• Like 1

We'll beat them.

The question is will we sort out our playing style?

Who are we going to put in the side who is going to pass the ball to Vardy?

How long are we going to have an underperforming Tielemans in the starting lineup?

Are we going to keep the brilliant defender with the feet and mind of concrete as the player feeding our "technical players"?

Are we going to press teams or not?

Are we going wide with wingers or wing backs or not at all?

Will we actually have more than 3 shots each half?

Are we going to pass sideways and backwards or pass forwards?

As long as we actually take shots this game I believe we can beat Spurs at home. If we want Europe we need to win nearly all our home matches. 

Leicester 3 Spurs 2. 

Maddison free kick, Vardy Penalty, CB header.

57 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

But the fact is the last time they won away was January, they're above us only on goal difference (again with the only games they've won this season being at home), they're playing in Europe 3 days before coming to the KP and yet everyone keeps saying how this is a much harder test than Utd away? I just don't get it

They won away in May I think.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we lack the composure to play out from the back when pressed!!!

It’s a problem.

We’ve lost the best CB there is at getting the ball out of jail and into attack.   Soyuncu has the talent to be similar if his passing can be developed.  So part of the solution is just being patient.

The other part -- I’d like to see Rodgers drop one DM and try Praets in a box-to-box role and see if he can both win the ball and link play -- weren’t those supposed to be his attributes?  What did we bring him in for?  May not happen v Spurs though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KingsX said:

It’s a problem.

We’ve lost the best CB there is at getting the ball out of jail and into attack.   Soyuncu has the talent to be similar if his passing can be developed.  So part of the solution is just being patient.

The other part -- I’d like to see Rodgers drop one DM and try Praets in a box-to-box role and see if he can both win the ball and link play -- weren’t those supposed to be his attributes?  What did we bring him in for?  May not happen v Spurs though.

some reality in the room .......

wont go down well with the ‘cags is god’ squad .....

I wonder when we might see benko ....,, Luton next week ?? 

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Son's main attribute after his finishing is his pace. Not much Evans can do about that.

If son gets out through then yeah he’s got no chance, but if he goes at him he’s clever enough to position himself well and is good at timing his tackles..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I rate Chaglar and see him replacing Maguire after an ₤80M sale as good business.  Still making a few mistakes, but may not let any more goals in than Harry.  He'll develop into a star in our colors.

I'm just surprised people don't see that our transition game is suffering for another reason besides the oft-cited "two DMs".

If Benkovic pans out, CB will be the strength-in-depth of the entire squad.  We just don't have one who is brilliant at getting the ball past a press (yet).

43 minutes ago, KingsX said:

It’s a problem.

28 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You are confusing an odd run up the pitch with "getting the ball out of jail and into attack"

Even though you've limited it to the best CB (we have 2 each week and 4 this season) the best CB we have for what you are saying is Johnny Evans, who gets the ball up much better than Maguire did. Mostly Maguire passed the ball to Chilwell or Evans - perhaps check the stats.

Our best passer of the ball from the back to initiate an attack is and has always been Kasper.

Put your Maguire love where it belongs - in the box marked Manchester United - they guy was only with us for a couple of seasons.

17 minutes ago, FIF said:

You are confusing an odd run up the pitch with "getting the ball out of jail and into attack"

Even though you've limited it to the best CB (we have 2 each week and 4 this season) the best CB we have for what you are saying is Johnny Evans, who gets the ball up much better than Maguire did. Mostly Maguire passed the ball to Chilwell or Evans - perhaps check the stats.

Our best passer of the ball from the back to initiate an attack is and has always been Kasper.

Put your Maguire love where it belongs - in the box marked Manchester United - they guy was only with us for a couple of seasons.

I'm no fan of maguire - I just recognise how brave he was with the ball and that cags isn't yet - the 'safe' pass doesn't really help us to break the lines and allow the midfilders to take the ball on the half turn. 

as for who maguire passed the ball mostly to - just as evans stats will show maguire and ricardo, so the left sided CB shows chilwell and evans ……...that's not a surprise.  no one is saying that evans isn't any good at passing the ball, I just don't see him making the brave pass through the press that maguire did too often, if at all. similarly with cags.

cags will hopefully mature with time …… my comment re benkovic relates to whether he is the type of player who will be brave with his passing into midfield. we haven't seen although I suspect @henrik_62 may have a view. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrezZone said:

All these pessimistic comments. So what, we lost one match. It happens to everyone in football. What we need to do is get behind the team against Spuds to rally them up and get their confidence boosted early on.

Completely agree - the reaction to narrowly losing in a 50-50 game away at Manchester United is beyond belief; as if Rodgers was supposed to magically transform the rest of the Premier League into the Scottish one by joining us. It's the most competitive league in the world for a reason; City managed to lose against Norwich and looked bang average. A footballing hypochondria seems to have happened and it's about time we actually put a little more faith in Rodgers to produce the goods, alongside the time to do so. If Cags hadn't flown into that challenge, we'd have got a point and been very satisfied I imagine. 

• Like 1

Ooh forgot they are playing tomorrow in Europe would be nice if they could pick up a few injuries to Kane, son, eriksen, lamela , sissoko, a few defenders as well 😂 I think it will be a good game just depends how we start keep them quiet first half they will get worried. Would like Barnes to start and run at their defence. 

4 hours ago, FIF said:

“Maguire love” :nigel:  Everybody on here acknowledges his big flaw (positioning not good enough to make up for lack of recovery speed). He’s a midfielder in an extreme center back’s body, and as such, a CB of extremes who divides views.  And he's gone.

I’m talking -- factually -- about his passing in the context of our significant problem getting the ball out.  And I doubt many want to replace it with Kasper’s kicking, which is even more Jekyll and Hyde than Maguire’s defending.

Maguire completes more of his passes than most CBs and completes way more into the middle and final thirds.  If he hit Chilwell, the latter was often in the opponent’s half.  Through the combination of his dribbling and incisive passing, he got the ball to an advanced mid or winger several times a match.  A contrast to much of our labored possession this season, where it may never even reach somebody who can pick that kind of pass.

But I’m sure you’ll want to keep on arguing with the facts, because that’s your specialty, along with rudeness. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Houdini Logic said:

Allowing other clubs to break their run of bad form against us is classic Leicester for the last three seasons tbh.

7 hours ago, Danny Clender said:

Can we not just copy Liverpool?

Schmeichel

Ricardo Evans Soyuncu Chilwell

Tielemans Ndidi Albrighton

Perez Maddison Barnes

Hang on, there's somebody missing. 

Schmeichel

Ricardo Evans Soyuncu Chilwell

Tielemans Ndidi Albrighton

Perez Maddison Barnes

Vardy

Now there's a team that would cause Spurs problems. No Grey :ph34r:

Edited by jim5000
  • Haha 1

The problem isn’t solely the loss at Man U, depressing as it was.  It’s that we’ve really only looked good in the Bournemouth match and the second half at Chelsea all season, when Rodgers abandoned his ridiculous strait jacket formation.  And that he went right back to it anyway at Old Trafford.

• Like 2

I said after the Man U game that we were "shambolic"... that may have been a tad extreme, but...

We are not playing well, our game plan is obvious and manageable, and if things go wrong, our recovery is clumsy and awkward.