Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Wilfred Ndidi

On 21/09/2020 at 02:39, Jaspa said:

Came off with a limp on tunnel cam, was consulting with the physio. Might be nothing but didn't look comfortable

On 21/09/2020 at 03:32, Will1981 said:

He looked like he was carrying an injury during the game, he kept stretching his back.

On 21/09/2020 at 03:35, Nick said:

He needs resting.

I don’t think Wilf was going to play against Arsenal anyway, but the following Nigerian site (not sure about its credibility) is reporting that he is also likely to skip the international break with Nigeria (which would be great for us, and pretty sure the Nigerians wouldn’t mind so much, given the games are just friendlies).

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=37475

Just hope this doesn’t mean that he might be unavailable for Man City (albeit with Mendy’s form it might not be quite the setback it once would have been.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Isn't it amazing how Ndidi is rarely linked with other clubs?

The guy is fantastic yet seems to have gone under the radar!

Long may that continue.

I genuinely think he'd be the hardest player in our XI to replace, much like Kantè was in 2016.

(But then we replaced Kantè with Ndidi, so perhaps my logic is a bit flawed)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Isn't it amazing how Ndidi is rarely linked with other clubs?

The guy is fantastic yet seems to have gone under the radar!

Long may that continue.

It's a reflection that while he's a very good player, he's overrated by LCFC fans in places like this.  For some reason some guys can do no right (like Chilwell) and some no wrong (like Wilf).  A very good holding midfielder no doubt, but not the sort of all-rounder that elite clubs will pop huge money for.  They'd take him in a minute, but but not at our valuation.

21 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

It's a reflection that while he's a very good player, he's overrated by LCFC fans in places like this.  For some reason some guys can do no right (like Chilwell) and some no wrong (like Wilf).  A very good holding midfielder no doubt, but not the sort of all-rounder that elite clubs will pop huge money for.  They'd take him in a minute, but but not at our valuation.

While he's definitely improved in the past season in particular, this is true. He still has flaws to his offensive game that would mean he maybe doesn't slot into another side's established system as easily as Kanté did at Chelsea.

I'd actually say he's even better than Kanté at being a reliable interceptor of the ball. The best in the league, comfortably. His frame and athleticism means he has an almost superhuman knack of being able to get his foot on the ball from any position. What lets him down is his forward passing. And, ironically, I've lost count of the times Wilf has nailed a turnover of possession from a ball he lost himself with a poor pass. Boosting his own numbers, innit. lol

That's actually one thing we haven't missed him in DMF for in these first two games. Mendy is a better player of the ball. I'd still rather have Wilf in that role though. Guy's a behemoth in the tackle and good in the air too, which is why he's been able to slot in at CB and do a decent job.

• Like 1

That's a number that doesn't come close to telling the whole story.

It's not coincidence that we had power clubs beating our door down for Harry, Chilwell, Mahrez, Kante (and soon enough for Pereira) but not N'didi.  These clubs aren't stupid.  He's a very good player but with big limitations.

17 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

It's not coincidence that we had power clubs beating our door down for Harry, Chilwell, Mahrez, Kante (and soon enough for Pereira) but not N'didi.  These clubs aren't stupid.  He's a very good player but with big limitations.

Add Drinkwater. 

Yes, these clubs can be "stupid" often enough.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

While he's definitely improved in the past season in particular, this is true. He still has flaws to his offensive game that would mean he maybe doesn't slot into another side's established system as easily as Kanté did at Chelsea.

I'd actually say he's even better than Kanté at being a reliable interceptor of the ball. The best in the league, comfortably. His frame and athleticism means he has an almost superhuman knack of being able to get his foot on the ball from any position. What lets him down is his forward passing. And, ironically, I've lost count of the times Wilf has nailed a turnover of possession from a ball he lost himself with a poor pass. Boosting his own numbers, innit. lol

That's actually one thing we haven't missed him in DMF for in these first two games. Mendy is a better player of the ball. I'd still rather have Wilf in that role though. Guy's a behemoth in the tackle and good in the air too, which is why he's been able to slot in at CB and do a decent job.

He doesn't have to be among the best defensive and offensive all-rounders to be wanted by top clubs. A top player like Gattuso certainly wasn't, and neither is Casemiro at Real Madrid (nor Idrissa Gueye at PSG). Wilf's puts in so much work at the defensive end that he should never have been tasked with offensive responsibilities. Unfortunately, a failure to recognize this turned out to be one of Puel's biggest failings here, and frankly often made Wilf look discombobulated. Hardly surprising thus that Puel's exit has coincided with Wilf's blossoming.

Edited by NaijaFox

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Wilf's pass completion this year is 84.5% against an average of 84,7% for the team.

34 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I agree with @Deeg67 - Wilf is good, but far from a complete player.  His passing, for a midfielder is woeful and pass completion stats is a poor measure of pass quality.  Many of his passes are simple 20 yard passes along the floor to a player in space but the number of times the receiving player has to check their run or even change direction to retrieve a wayward pass is unreal for an elite level professional.  He is about as accurate as an aerosol.

I'm not bothered that his shooting is poor because he isn't in the team to score goals but his passing needs to massively improve to become a truly great player.  If you could combine his reading of the game and his ability to win the ball from the opposition, with the unassuming, steady passing ability of Mendy then we'd have a brilliant player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it just me or did Wilf's passing improved markedly for a while last saason.  I remember being impressed (and a bit surprised) at the time, and thinking that he must have been working on this aspect of his game.

We're only two games in and playing as a CB can't have helped, but his passing is once again pretty dire.

Hopefully once he's back in his familiar position and injury free he can work on improving his passing again.

I hope so, cos I love Wilf and his spider legs.

We play with 2 CAM’s, 2 attacking wing/fullbacks and 2 wide forwards/wingers. Wilf makes this possible. Of course his passing can be improved (it has and will continue to do so), but this should not be to the detriment of his other skills.

Also, when has the quality of a player be defined by whether a Man United or Spurs put an offer in? 

Edited by Glorious Leicester Fan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, nnfox said:

I agree with @Deeg67 - Wilf is good, but far from a complete player.  His passing, for a midfielder is woeful and pass completion stats is a poor measure of pass quality.  Many of his passes are simple 20 yard passes along the floor to a player in space but the number of times the receiving player has to check their run or even change direction to retrieve a wayward pass is unreal for an elite level professional.  He is about as accurate as an aerosol.

I'm not bothered that his shooting is poor because he isn't in the team to score goals but his passing needs to massively improve to become a truly great player.  If you could combine his reading of the game and his ability to win the ball from the opposition, with the unassuming, steady passing ability of Mendy then we'd have a brilliant player.

I would totally agree with you a year or more ago but his passing range has come on a lot under Rodgers and it’s nowhere near as bad as some are making out 

• Like 3