Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Wilfred Ndidi

5 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

It's a reflection that while he's a very good player, he's overrated by LCFC fans in places like this.  For some reason some guys can do no right (like Chilwell) and some no wrong (like Wilf).  A very good holding midfielder no doubt, but not the sort of all-rounder that elite clubs will pop huge money for.  They'd take him in a minute, but but not at our valuation.

What Ndidi does allow though is for teams to play two number 8 type creative and attacking midfielders, which is a very dangerous option to have. Not many sides have that ability, maybe it's not the most effective but Man City have done similar with Fernandinho over the years allowing De Bruyne and Silva the licence create havoc. Ndidi would do the same for such a club, Rodgers has freed his game up to do what he does best. Look at his passing stats under Rodgers compared to Puel where he was expected to be one of our creative players which was never going to work.

The emergence of an on form Pappy Mendy actually makes losing Wilf to a niggling injury easier to take. Obviously I hope it's no more than a game or two at the maximum but having a purpose built CDM instead of Hamza in that role makes me feel more at ease with it. Especially with Evans back. It allows us to stick to the same game plan that we've been using without disruption. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

That's a number that doesn't come close to telling the whole story.

It's not coincidence that we had power clubs beating our door down for Harry, Chilwell, Mahrez, Kante (and soon enough for Pereira) but not N'didi.  These clubs aren't stupid.  He's a very good player but with big limitations.

There's no doubt in my mind that we'd have had some serious offers to contend with were it not for the injury problems he had in 2nd half of last season, pretty sure the big boys are just waiting to see if he gets past these niggles. Fully expect us to have to fend off offers in January if he's stayed injury free. I think you underestimate how highly rated he is outside of our city. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bfox said:

I would totally agree with you a year or more ago but his passing range has come on a lot under Rodgers and it’s nowhere near as bad as some are making out 

No, it really hasn’t. He’s a black hole in the middle of the pitch when it comes to moving anything forwards. The vast majority of his passes are dinks sideways or backwards and even those are rarely hitting the target in stride.

This is pretty typical of this place, where any praise for certain guys is met with disbelief and any criticism of others with indignation. No one said anything remotely like N’didi was “average”. He’s an outstanding disruptor and generally excellent in most facets defensively (as long as he’s playing in midfield and not as a center back). He just happens to be a very limited player in that he offers nothing in buildup or attack. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

No, it really hasn’t. He’s a black hole in the middle of the pitch when it comes to moving anything forwards. The vast majority of his passes are dinks sideways or backwards and even those are rarely hitting the target in stride.

This is pretty typical of this place, where any praise for certain guys is met with disbelief and any criticism of others with indignation. No one said anything remotely like N’didi was “average”. He’s an outstanding disruptor and generally excellent in most facets defensively (as long as he’s playing in midfield and not as a center back). He just happens to be a very limited player in that he offers nothing in buildup or attack. 

One thing he added to his game since Rodgers came in is a few more territory gaining runs, from the holding position to the edge of the box. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Bit harsh in my opinion, a team is as good as the sum of its parts , and we are infinitely better with Ndidi in his normal position than without him. His job is to break up the oppositions attack then distribute which he does effectively. He is not there to make marauding runs upfield or raking cross field passes others are there for that. If as you say he’s a very limited player I’m more than happy he’s our particular very limited player. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

As am I. But that’s why the big boys aren’t beating down our door.

He’s that limited that his value is €45 on transfermarket the values of which are notoriously lower than factual so it’s not if but when someone comes knocking . To put perspective on this the young Fofana we are wetting  our knickers about is less than half that.

3 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I think that's wrong/harsh - in both parts. Yes, he not going to move the ball forward like Tielemans or Maddison but he has definitely learned to get his head up more often and look forward. And no he is not the best passer of a ball for a DM in the pl - I never said he was, I said he's improved. I've seen him spray cross field balls recently that I've never seen him try before - as well as balls straight down the middle into the front men. How often is he the person who starts the build up or attack off by winning the ball back. I would agree he needs to work on his long range shooting as he does tend to find himself with space on the edge of the box quite often, they normally go into row z.

5 hours ago, Deeg67 said:He just happens to be a very limited player in that he offers nothing in buildup or attack. 

I quite agree. While we’re on it, how often have you seen Tielemans whip the ball off someone’s toe? Or Ricardo head the first ball off a corner? Amazing we’re in the Football League with these part-timers...

The point is that with him we can accommodate two of Maddison, Tielemans and Praet in CM, without leaving ourselves exposed in the middle. All he ever has to do is pass to the full backs or one of those guys and his job is 100% complete. 

Wilf is one of our absolute gems, and focusing on an area he is perfectly adequate in as if it was a weakness is why we don’t get nice things.

5 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Your not Keeping up with the times...Each Manager,each season,each period in a season, seen Ndidi skills go up a notch or two,like our  other players.

Last season we seen Ndidi,start to become more aware & willing to Drive forward & Think towards buildup or attack...Something Rodgers mentione d

in Nov-December...

Looks like it’s time for another post of Wilf’s passing stats to show:

- His passing has improved every year since he arrived as a teenager.  (some never change their views, pity)

- His range has expanded even as his completion rate improves.

- He completes the occasional long ball (which simply isn’t part of Mendy’s arsenal).

WilfPapy.JPG.c36d0eeda8856b3104a4e7f5de60f72e.JPG

Our CDMs strike me as very different players.  Ndidi covers more of the pitch, erases more team mistakes, and makes so many more ball recoveries.  Mendy is a little tank -- very strong and combative.  It is so hard to get the ball off him, and he never misses a pass.  Very comforting and important things, close to your own goal.  But not the only traits to look for in a CDM.

I think fans who focus on the positive love Wilf’s huge, rare positives, and see mishit passes within that context.  Those who focus on the negative love “safe hands” guys like Mendy, that don’t provide negative data points to focus on and remember.

I’m with those who rate Wilf as a godsend … but are happy to have Mendy covering the same position to provide rotation and cover Wilf’s minor injuries (and so we don’t keep running him into the ground).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I agree. Always thought the same. Look at other similar players around Europe and some are more technical (see Nzonzi for example). In  the PL, Fabinho at Liverpool wins the ball back but also contributes as a threat - he can pick passes out and score from distance. 

I look back at Neil Lennon and not only was he a good holding man but his ability to shoot, cross, pass was also superb.

Personally I don't read into passing stats / accuracy because most holding men just pass sideways and backwards. I'd be surprised if any holding man doesn't have a pass accuracy of over 80%. People read into stats far too much nowadays.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Wilf is already twice the player Lennon or Nzonzi ever have been. 

You could make your mind up depending on what game you see as to who's better out of Wilf and Fabinho. 

Not debating who's better, as they were examples, I'm just looking at attributes.

Any other reports of this?

https://foxesofleicester.com/2020/09/23/defensive-nightmare-leicester-city/

Wilfred Ndidi injury causes Leicester City major problem

As you all know, because Jonny Evans is suspended, Wes Morgan is not up to the task and Filip Benkovic is constantly injured and possibly considered unsatisfactory, Wilfred Ndidi has been playing at the back. And very well the 23 year old has done, too.

Yet the midfielder has now withdrawn from the Nigeria squad due to a groin injury, according to Goal. The Nigerians’ matches are on October 9 and 13, so Ndidi could potentially miss Leicester‘s Premier League games against Manchester City, West Ham United, as well as Aston Villa. Although, he wasn’t expected to feature versus Arsenal in the Carabao Cup. Obviously Rodgers will be hoping Jonny Evans is fit when his suspension ends.

https://www.goal.com/en-sa/amp/news/leicester-citys-ndidi-ruled-out-of-nigeria-action-with-groin/1khcvockjdq9w13wcd892f8c5y

Leicester City’s Ndidi ruled out of Nigeria action with groin injury
SHINA OLUDARE
@Sportingshina
5 hours ago

The 23-year-old midfielder will play no part in the Super Eagles’ October games against the Elephants and Carthage Eagles
Leicester City midfielder Wilfred Ndidi has been ruled out of Nigeria’s friendlies against Cote d’Ivoire and Tunisia after suffering a groin injury in the Foxes’ 4-2 victory over Burnley.

Ndidi was among the 25-man squad to prepare Nigeria for their 2022 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Sierra Leone in November.

The 23-year-old played the full 90 minutes on Sunday evening as Brendan Rodgers’ men silenced the Clarets at the King Power Stadium, but he will not be part of the international game billed to take place in Austria.